Son of the Morning

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Learning curve

Post by _Gazelam »

Runtu,
As far as your question goes, Jesus was exalted to the point that he acted on behalf of the Father in God status prior to his mortality. Obviously he had shown worthiness in the pre-existance and could act in the name of the Father, speaking as the Father, for and in behalf of the Father, in all his actions. He still had to fulfill his fore-ordained mission of acting as the Savior, and he still needed to perform the resurrection, but he was God prior to his mortal trial. Adam likewise was obviously extremely worthy prior to his mortal ministry, as well as Peter James and John, and Abraham.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but what we do know is that this life is a probationary state. Alma chp. 9-14 would be an excellent study on the subject, particularly chp. 12.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Mendacity

Post by _Gazelam »

The question I asked was, how would you determine worthiness among the children? What standard would you hold them to? what if the bussiness supplied a standard of living for 200 people, who depended on an intelligent and stable leader for the bussiness?

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Re: Mendacity

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Gazelam wrote:The question I asked was, how would you determine worthiness among the children? What standard would you hold them to? what if the bussiness supplied a standard of living for 200 people, who depended on an intelligent and stable leader for the bussiness?

Gaz

I thought you had actually asked
Gazelam wrote:How would you choose who to pass it on to?

It seems now the question has changed and you have added conditions. Now they must be worthy.
I would give it to them and let the chips fall where they may. They would learn and either rejoice in the rewards or suffer the consequences.

There is no subjective state of worthiness that I would set on the inheritance. They would get it because I love them.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

yehhh....right.

you gonna really answer the question honestly?
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Gazelam wrote:yehhh....right.

you gonna really answer the question honestly?

Typical Mormon, calling his interlocutors dishonest and liars. (See my signature line.)

Weak, Gaz. Really weak.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Learning curve

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:Runtu,
As far as your question goes, Jesus was exalted to the point that he acted on behalf of the Father in God status prior to his mortality. Obviously he had shown worthiness in the pre-existance and could act in the name of the Father, speaking as the Father, for and in behalf of the Father, in all his actions. He still had to fulfill his fore-ordained mission of acting as the Savior, and he still needed to perform the resurrection, but he was God prior to his mortal trial. Adam likewise was obviously extremely worthy prior to his mortal ministry, as well as Peter James and John, and Abraham.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but what we do know is that this life is a probationary state. Alma chp. 9-14 would be an excellent study on the subject, particularly chp. 12.

Gaz

Gaz,

I know what the church's position is on this. But it doesn't make sense. Reading Alma again isn't going to make it suddenly make sense. Even you admit that Christ didn't need "opposition" to grow and become exalted. If he didn't, we didn't either.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Abr. 3:11-22

Post by _Gazelam »

Let me ofer this, In the context of the same sociality that exists among us here existing among us there (D&C130:2). Just as there are more and less intelligent people born here, there are those that by their nature are more intelligent and naturally able to abide in righteousness and glory than others.

Gaz