Is lack of specificity in prophecy a cause for concern?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_fubecabr
_Emeritus

Post by _fubecabr »

Specificity is a huge problem. I know of no specific prophecies that *anyone* has ever uttered that has ever come to pass. Things like predicting that Bears will win the Super Bowl don't count. Or prophesying that we would try to capture Bin Laden on 9/12.

Another example would be the "big one" occurring in San Francisco. At some point, SF will experience a very destructive earthquake >8.0. Predicting that it will take place in the future is not prophetic. If I say that it will occur on october 31, 2010 and it occurs, then that is a fulfilled prophecy.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/predict.htm

Here's an example of an all-purpose prophecy by Nostradamus

Five and forty steps the sky will burn
Fire approaching the large city
Instantly a great thin flame will leap
When someone will want to test the Normans.

This one is a marvel of an all-purpose prophecy. If you want to ensure your "prediction" will be correct, just make some vague allusions to fire, because then you're covered for a whole host of circumstances: fire (including those started by natural disasters), war (or any type of killing or attack involving bombs or firearms), crashes of motorized vehicles (cars, trains, boats, airplanes), natural phenomena (such as volcanoes and lightning), and astronomical phenomena (such as comets and novas). Surely all of those things are bound to occur within the next few centuries — probably more than once — and your prophecy can be applied to every one of them.

"Five and forty steps"? That's a good one — it covers the reckoning of angles, degrees of latitude and longitude, temperature, time elapsed on a clock, and a bundle of other measurements. You're bound to find a fit here in any disaster.

"The large city" — ooh, it sure takes a lot of insight to "predict" that a fire, war, explosion, crash, or natural disaster will hit a large city sometime in the next several hundred years. I mean, what're the odds of that? If you don't identify the city in any way (except to note that it's "large"), your "prediction" can be applied to hundreds of events in cities all over the world for hundred of years to come!
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Hehe, that's why i like the prophecy's of Asatru. They all tell of the wyrd (fate) of Ragnarok, and all in VERY specific wording. They don't bother saying where it will happen. But who cares "where" so much as "what" when it comes to the near ending of midgard.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Re: D&C 130

Post by _Pokatator »

D&C 130:14-15 wrote:
I was once praying very earnestly to know the time of the coming of the Son of Man, when I heard a voice repeat the following: Joseph, my son, if thou livest until thou art eighty-five years old, thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man; therefore let this suffice, and trouble me no more on this matter.

What is vague about 85 years?
All I get out of this is that Joseph hears voices.

Gazelam wrote:I always took this prophecy as Gods way of teling Joseph to Shut up and quit asking. It seems Joseph had a history of asking for things he shouldent. This led to both the 116 pages being lost and also the restoration of Polygamy. I can't remember where I read it, but I heard God tried to give Joseph an out before revealing Polygamy, and Joseph being hungry for knowledge insisted God teach it to him.

This is not so much a criticism of the Prophet, as it is just a funny observation.

Gaz

Let me get this straight.....Joseph has a habit of asking for things he should not....

This is not a good thing, right?

Joseph looses the 116 pages.....not a good thing right...

As further punishment God restores Polgamy.....

God failed to give him an out, so God punished him with Polygamy??????

"Dear God, I'm hungry for se...knowledge...x so teach me about polygamy, please!!! Sincerely, Joseph.........and God granted Joseph's request.

Is/was polygamy a good thing or a bad thing?

Do you proof read what you write?

I'm with Vegas on this, "How can you restore something that Christainity condemns?

I missed the humor in the "funny observation" ....enlighten me.

Gaz, I know you will tell me that Joseph didn't live to be 85 so the prophecy didn't count, I know voices are kind of funny that way aren't they. Or is that the Son of Man's sense of humor showing?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Guardiands wrote:I think the above is the strongest, clearest prophecy of Joseph's (and of course it came true).

Canonized, I believe, after the war happened, but written before, is that right?

You seem to think the Civil War was a surprise to everyone when it happened.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Gazelam wrote:I always took this prophecy as Gods way of teling Joseph to Shut up and quit asking. It seems Joseph had a history of asking for things he shouldent. This led to both the 116 pages being lost and also the restoration of Polygamy. I can't remember where I read it, but I heard God tried to give Joseph an out before revealing Polygamy, and Joseph being hungry for knowledge insisted God teach it to him.

This is not so much a criticism of the Prophet, as it is just a funny observation.

Gaz

Do you have a reference for this "out"? I am very curious about this. This is the first time I have ever heard of this. Polygamy has always been my biggest stumbling block with the Church, so I am sincere in asking for any information you have concerning this.

Thanks, Gaz! :)
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Liz,

Sorry. That little bit of information was something I remember reading a long time ago, but I don't know that I can find the reference. I'll look and see.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Gaz

You realize what you just said, don't you, Gaz? You just said a man can tell God what to do. That a man can insist that God teach him something.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Gazelam wrote:Liz,

Sorry. That little bit of information was something I remember reading a long time ago, but I don't know that I can find the reference. I'll look and see.

Thanks, Gaz. If you remember what material you were reading, please let me know. I would really love to find it.

Thanks!

:)
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Harmony

Post by _Gazelam »

How many times does it say in the scriptures "ask" ? Or "knock"?

Hes begging us to ask him questions, so that he can answer us. What parent doesent answer their child? I repeat, It is our birthright to recieve revelation. God wants us to ask.

There were times when the heavens were sealed to Joseph, mainly becasue he wanted Joseph to repent, or pass through some trial as a test of faith. In those times it got down to wearying the Lord with prayers, until he did answer again.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Re: Harmony

Post by _Mephitus »

Gazelam wrote:How many times does it say in the scriptures "ask" ? Or "knock"?

Hes begging us to ask him questions, so that he can answer us. What parent doesent answer their child? I repeat, It is our birthright to recieve revelation. God wants us to ask.

There were times when the heavens were sealed to Joseph, mainly becasue he wanted Joseph to repent, or pass through some trial as a test of faith. In those times it got down to wearying the Lord with prayers, until he did answer again.

soo.......if i keep bugging god enough.....he will give me the lottery numbers!
COOL!
poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...poke...
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew