Whats in a Name?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Selah wrote:I recently heard (water) baptism put so incrediably amazingly - it is the wedding ring of Christianity. Just because you are not wearing your ring doesn't make you any less married. :)

Nor, does wearing the "ring" (the token) make one THE best spouse. Family violence is not assured against by a "ring" on a finger. Peace and love are matters of character, empathy and conscience.

Don't be deceived by "letters"... it is the "Spirit" that gives life. (2 Cor, 3:6) Seems so easy for many professing Christians/Mormons to not see themselves as those being told, "...I never knew You, inspite of Your assumed goodness..." (Mat 25:35-45) Not really that much in a name... Warm regards, Roger
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Re: Standing in Holy places

Post by _Sam Harris »

Gazelam wrote:Mendacity

Lets say you were going to open your house up to a renter, you had a spare room in the house and could use the extra money.

Now lets say that the one you let rent the room was a Black man who loved his rap music, didn't see your problem with the thumping bass and the explicit lyrics. He was paying his rent, why should you care if he brought women over and let them stay the night. How about his shelf in the fridge with his 40's and the smoke from his pipe flowing out of the room when his homies came out to use the bathroom?

Could he stay? isn't it just a matter of opinion, a minor cultural problem? Why would you feel the need to be judgemental about his culture?

Would people who see the comings and goings out of your home begin to run down your name and judge you by this mans associates who frequent your home?

Gaz

Gaz, I hate to say it, but you kind of hurt my feelings, not to mention damaged what online friendship we were developing by this statement. It's horridly stereotypical, and yet you cannot understand why I struggled so much as an LDS. It's because people think like you do, Gaz. The above mentality is why they never took me home to mom.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lets say you were going to open your house up to a renter, you had a spare room in the house and could use the extra money.

Now lets say that the one you let rent the room was a Black man who loved his rap music, didn't see your problem with the thumping bass and the explicit lyrics. He was paying his rent, why should you care if he brought women over and let them stay the night. How about his shelf in the fridge with his 40's and the smoke from his pipe flowing out of the room when his homies came out to use the bathroom?

Could he stay? isn't it just a matter of opinion, a minor cultural problem? Why would you feel the need to be judgemental about his culture?

Would people who see the comings and goings out of your home begin to run down your name and judge you by this mans associates who frequent your home?

Gaz

Gaz,

a while back you replied to a thread on this board about me and said that sometimes I tell you when I think you're wrong. What you wrote above here, Gaz, was wrong to do. I don't think you honestly meant to offend anyone, but I can assure you that you have. If you don't know why it's offensive, I'll be glad to talk to you about it here.

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

skippy the dead wrote:Racial stereotyping, much?

He didn't make any fried chicken or watermelon references....but I'm sure the those just slipped his mind.

Honestly...this is pretty bad Gaz.....So I thought I turned the table for a little country white trash stereotyping (my changes in bold)

Now lets say that the one you let rent the room was a Redneck who loved his country music, didn't see your problem with the guitar riffs and the stupid lyrics. He was paying his rent, why should you care if he brought women over and let them stay the night. How about his shelf in the fridge with his moonshine and the spit from his chewing tobacco flowing out of the room when his buddies came out to use the bathroom?

"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
skippy the dead wrote:Racial stereotyping, much?

He didn't make any fried chicken or watermelon references....but I'm sure the those just slipped his mind.

Honestly...this is pretty bad Gaz.....So I thought I turned the table for a little country white trash stereotyping (my changes in bold)

Now lets say that the one you let rent the room was a Redneck who loved his country music, didn't see your problem with the guitar riffs and the stupid lyrics. He was paying his rent, why should you care if he brought women over and let them stay the night. How about his shelf in the fridge with his moonshine and the spit from his chewing tobacco flowing out of the room when his buddies came out to use the bathroom?

Hey....wait a minute, do you know my landlord?

If I were to use the wedding analogy I would think the baptism was the wedding, not the wedding ring.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Jersey Girl wrote:

Gaz

Gaz,

a while back you replied to a thread on this board about me and said that sometimes I tell you when I think you're wrong. What you wrote above here, Gaz, was wrong to do. I don't think you honestly meant to offend anyone, but I can assure you that you have. If you don't know why it's offensive, I'll be glad to talk to you about it here.

Jersey Girl

I'm a bit disappointed that Gaz hasn't owned up to this as of yet. I agree that he was quite wrong to write what he did, and I believe it would go a long way for him to address the various comments made here in response. What say you, Gaz?
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I find it odd that something I posted in December is only now being discussed. But whatever.

I only used the Black man analogy because it was the easiest and simplist one to use. I remember at the time considering using a mexixan sterotype, but because I personallly have a deep seated hatred for Rap music, I gave-in to the original idea. Tubas and accordions are still less repulsive to me than idiotic rhymeing set to overdone Bass beats. I think Nehor did a fine job of setting the post in a different light changing the character to a redneck.

The point of the post was a cultural one. The rap culture is one that is entirely contrary to the gospel. And therefore worked the best.

The analogy could be turned on its head and work just as well. Lets say your household were lifted off the face of the earth and translated to heaven as is. A messenger comes and tells you that the Father and Son wil be here in an hour to visit you and speak with you.

Now consider at this moment if you would be prepared for that. Are you living your life in such a way that you would be prepared to be in that culture? Are you living up to the name you took upon yourself in the waters of baptism? Are the music ond movies on your shelf of such a nature that they would not be offensive to God if he were to visit your home?

that's the point of that post. That the character used was black was purely coincidental and completely beside the point trying to be made. I am not a racist by any stretch of the imagination. I am culturally biased though, as we should all be.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gaz,

I happened to click into the CF last evening, started reading the thread and that's why I replied to your post. I still don't understand what you were trying to demonstrate. I will read as others make comments, perhaps someone else "gets it".

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I actually enjoy it when people respond to things I post. And to have the subject of the thread adressed is nice, but to a coment I made being brought up 4 months later just seemed odd.

The point I am making is that of culture.

The entire purpose of the gospel is to instruct us in gaining the mind and will of the Lord. To se things through his eyes, and share his opinions and viewpoints. That to me is to gain the culture of heaven.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato