Where have all the evil spirits gone?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: Where have all the evil spirits gone?

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

VegasRefugee wrote:
harmony wrote:The Bible contains several passages testifying of evil spirits being cast out of people, healing of leprosy, raising the dead. I have some questions:

1. where did all the evil spirits go?
2. why do we never hear of evil spirits anymore? Was Hitler's spirit not evil enough? Saddam? Pol Pot?
3. why do we never hear of a Mormon casting out evil spirits? Surely the priesthood would come in handy for that, yet reports of such occurances are never in the Church News or the Ensign.
4. why do we never hear of such miracles anymore? Can't our prophets do similiar miracles to show the people his power? Heck, we can't even heal the sick, more often than not.

They've all gone to the telestial forum

I found one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQQS-0ZOMcg

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Evil Spirits

Post by _Gazelam »

It took me a while to find this, but I remembered a tale told by the early missionaries to britain:

Satan first sought out Adam and Eve in the Garden; he has not rested one moment since. He was there to combat with exhibitions of evil sorcery the attempts of Moses to gain the freedom of the children of Israel. He was there to tempt Christ during his forty-day fast, trying to thwart the Atonement. "Worship me," he cried to Jesus, after proffering all the kingdom of the earth (see Matthew 4:9). He was there in the woods were Joseph Smith sought the Lord in humble prayer, pressing down upon the young lad until he thought himself nearly destroyed. He haunted the early missionaries of this dispensation at almost every turn. Of those times, Heber C. Kimball recounts the following experience from his mission to the British Isles:

About daybreak, Elder Isaac Russell. . . , who slept with Elder Richards in Wilford Street, came up to the third story, where Elder Hyde and myself were sleeping, and called out, "Brother Kimball, I want you should get up and pray for me that I may be delivered from the evil spirits that are tormenting me to such a degree that I feel I cannot live long, unless I obtain relief."

I had been sleeping on the back of the bed. I immediately arose, slipped off at the foot of the bed, and passed round to where he was. Elder Hyde threw his feet out, and sat up in the bed, and we laid hands on him, I being mouth, and prayed that the Lord would have mercy on him, and rebuked the devil.

While thus engaged, I was struck with great force by some invisible power, and fell senseless to the floor. The first thing I recollected was being supported by Elders Hyde and Richards, who were praying for me. . . .

Elders Hyde and Richards then assisted me to get on the bed, but my agony was so great I could not endure it, and I arose, bowed my knees and prayed. I then arose and sat up on the bed, when a vision was opened to our minds, and we could distinctly see the evil spirits, who foamed and gnashed their teeth at us. We gazed upon them about an hour and a half. . . . We were not looking towards the window, but towards the wall. Space appeared before us, and we saw the devils coming in legions, with their leaders, who came within a few feet of us. They came towards us like armies rushing to battle. They appeared to be men of full stature, possessing every form of feature of men in the flesh, who were angry and desperate; and I shall never forget the vindictive malignity depicted on their countenances as they looked me in the eye; and any attempt to paint the scene which then presented itself, or portray their malice and enmity, would be vain. I perspired exceedingly, my clothes becoming as wet as if I had been taken out of the river. I felt excessive pain, and was in the greatest distress for some time. I cannot even look back on the scene without feelings of horror; yet by it I learned the power of the adversary, his enmity against the servants of God, and got some understanding of the invisible world. We distinctly heard those spirits talk and express their wrath and hellish designs against us. However, the Lord delivered us from them and blessed us exceedingly that day. [Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball (Salt Lake City: Juvenile Instructor Office, 1888), p. 143–145]

Heber C. Kimball

This occured in direct retaliation to the missionaries baptiseing their first convert. The baptism proceeded as planned. Speaking of the services, Elder Kimball records:
"Notwithstanding the weakness of my body from the shock I had experienced, I had the pleasure, about 9 a.m. of baptizing nine individuals and hailing them brethren and sisters in the kingdom of God. These were the first persons baptized into the church in a foreign land, and only the eighth day after our arrival in Preston."
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:
harmony wrote:The Bible contains several passages testifying of evil spirits being cast out of people, healing of leprosy, raising the dead. I have some questions:

2. why do we never hear of evil spirits anymore? Was Hitler's spirit not evil enough? Saddam? Pol Pot?
3. why do we never hear of a Mormon casting out evil spirits? Surely the priesthood would come in handy for that, yet reports of such occurances are never in the Church News or the Ensign.
4. why do we never hear of such miracles anymore? Can't our prophets do similiar miracles to show the people his power? Heck, we can't even heal the sick, more often than not.

I found one.

Bond
Bond, you are evil. This video is VILE and full of lies!

Just feel lucky that this is the Celustial board otherwise I'd let off a string of cuss words like none other!
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:

I found one.

Bond
Bond, you are evil. This video is VILE and full of lies!

Just feel lucky that this is the Celustial board otherwise I'd let off a string of cuss words like none other!

You wouldn't curse me man, would ya?

You probably will when you find out that I laughed for like 5 minutes when I sent you to look at that video. It's the little things in life.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07