Condemn not the things of God!

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_marg

Re: Truthfulness of the Book of Mormon

Post by _marg »

Gazelam wrote:Vegas: I am not using any tactics. The question was raised as to the validity of the Book of Mormon. I am simply asking what it is in the Book of Mormon that is seen as false and misleading.

The truth is that the beheading of an infidel was a common practice (still is) among the Arab nations. Foreign exchange students from that region who take Book of Mormon classes at BYU are known to ask "what took him so long" when the story of the beheading is told.

Laban seems to be a man who knew the gospel and was familiar with and entrusted with the sacred. He in turn beacme a theif and murderer. A son of perdition, having been exposed to the gospel, and with full knowledge of it fighting against its very precepts. In the eyes of God, whether he died then or later it would have made no difference, he was wrapped in the chains of hell and damned. Nephi was asked to do something difficult, and he arose stronger and wiser after the trial of his faith.

Right, and any irrational religious fanatic can justify any unethical act, even murder, as long as he/she claims "God sanctioned it."

As far as beheading was a common practice by particular tribes or cultures, so what? It doesn't mean it was ever ethical.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Re: Truthfulness of the Book of Mormon

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Gazelam wrote:The truth is that the beheading of an infidel was a common practice (still is) among the Arab nations. Foreign exchange students from that region who take Book of Mormon classes at BYU are known to ask "what took him so long" when the story of the beheading is told.

Laban seems to be a man who knew the gospel and was familiar with and entrusted with the sacred. He in turn beacme a theif and murderer. A son of perdition, having been exposed to the gospel, and with full knowledge of it fighting against its very precepts. In the eyes of God, whether he died then or later it would have made no difference, he was wrapped in the chains of hell and damned. Nephi was asked to do something difficult, and he arose stronger and wiser after the trial of his faith.

Wow! I found that incredibly cold and heartless of you.
Gazelam wrote:It would do you well to take a lesson and seek out a refiners fire of your own, and strengthen your own faith.

Faith in mythology? That's what zealots do...not intelligent beings.

What really amazes me is how someone can believe in Jesus and think he is one of His followers and casually dismiss "Thou shalt not kill." Especially Mormons who believe that Jesus was the Jehova of the Old Testament.

You make me ashamed I was ever LDS. I can't believe I preached the same nonsense.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Gazelam wrote:Can you specify a doctrine...

Can you specify exactly what 'doctrine' in the LDS church is? :o
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Who knows

Post by _Gazelam »

What doctrinal subject would you like specified for you?

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Re: Who knows

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Gazelam wrote:What doctrinal subject would you like specified for you?

Gaz

He knows everythig about everything so I am pretty sure he can post anything you are lacking
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Re: Condemn not the things of God!

Post by _Sam Harris »

MormonMendacity wrote:Joseph Smith wrote in the Introduction to the Book of Mormon
Joseph Smith - Introduction to the Book of Mormon wrote:And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God...

If there is a god, I could not blame him for any of the mistakes of men so I see this disclaimer as unnecessary.

What I have a problem with is a person arrogantly portraying his own flawed work as god's. I find it ugly to concoct such a scheme, entrap his fellowmen into believing it and then have it perpetuated upon subsequent innocent generations.

I do not condemn the works of god but the problems with the history and claims of Mormonism are not god's fault.

Well said. This is exactly why, when people find out that I'm a religious studies major, I tell them I do not KNOW if I'm gonna become a pastor. I'm thinking about it, but I think a lot goes into that...and I want to be spiritually straight, more of a person of integrity than I think I am now. Televangelists are a prime example of a "calling" gone wrong...
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi