Condemn not the things of God!

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Condemn not the things of God!

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Joseph Smith wrote in the Introduction to the Book of Mormon
Joseph Smith - Introduction to the Book of Mormon wrote:And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God...

If there is a god, I could not blame him for any of the mistakes of men so I see this disclaimer as unnecessary.

What I have a problem with is a person arrogantly portraying his own flawed work as god's. I find it ugly to concoct such a scheme, entrap his fellowmen into believing it and then have it perpetuated upon subsequent innocent generations.

I do not condemn the works of god but the problems with the history and claims of Mormonism are not god's fault.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Can you specify a doctrine taught in the Book of Mormon that you have a problem with? List the verses please.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:Can you specify a doctrine taught in the Book of Mormon that you have a problem with? List the verses please.

Gaz

Um, what does that have to do with the arrogance of someone palming off a fraud as the word of God? There wasn't much I took issue with in Hofmann's Oath of a Freeman, but it was a fraud nonetheless. Are you suggesting that a fraud is not a fraud if you agree with its doctrines?
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Gazelam wrote:Can you specify a doctrine taught in the Book of Mormon that you have a problem with? List the verses please.

Gaz

Although your question is not relevant to the point of this thread, I would nonetheless be glad to answer it.

Nephi wrote in 1 Ne. 4 10&11 wrote: 10 And it came to pass that I was constrained by the Spirit that I should kill Laban; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him.

11 And the Spirit said unto me again: Behold the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands. Yea, and I also knew that he had sought to take away mine own life; yea, and he would not hearken unto the commandments of the Lord; and he also had taken away our property.

His defense is "God made me do it?" I have a problem with the lesson taught here. It was learned by the Laffertys, John D. Lee, the brethren in Cedar City, and just about anyone else who wants to put the blame on god for their actions.

Why is it god can't do his own wet work? Why did the leaders of Mormonism advocate carrying on the carnage that Joshua started by killing man, woman, child, and jackass in Jerico? And why is it that religious people dismiss the heinous acts of their followers but demand revenge for the Prophet, Hyrum and the victims of Hahn's Mill? -- Even unto the third and fourth generations? So much of turning the other cheek, I guess.

I know: testing the people and clearing the land of evil. Odd how murder is forbidden by the ten commandments but excused for plates of brass. Why do I think that grabbing the plates and running would have worked if only god would have made it work? No murder required: just paralyze Laban.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Runtu wrote:

Gaz

Um, what does that have to do with the arrogance of someone palming off a fraud as the word of God? There wasn't much I took issue with in Hofmann's Oath of a Freeman, but it was a fraud nonetheless. Are you suggesting that a fraud is not a fraud if you agree with its doctrines?

Those unable to contemplate the possibility of the Book of Mormon being a fraud cannot see it as anythin g but the voice of their imaginary friend. An approach such as gaz's suffers from this shortcoming. This is not an attack on Gaz but an observation on the tactics he is applying. These work in his mind and are easilly countered by the worlds majority opinion.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Truthfulness of the Book of Mormon

Post by _Gazelam »

Vegas: I am not using any tactics. The question was raised as to the validity of the Book of Mormon. I am simply asking what it is in the Book of Mormon that is seen as false and misleading.

The truth is that the beheading of an infidel was a common practice (still is) among the Arab nations. Foreign exchange students from that region who take Book of Mormon classes at BYU are known to ask "what took him so long" when the story of the beheading is told.

Laban seems to be a man who knew the gospel and was familiar with and entrusted with the sacred. He in turn beacme a theif and murderer. A son of perdition, having been exposed to the gospel, and with full knowledge of it fighting against its very precepts. In the eyes of God, whether he died then or later it would have made no difference, he was wrapped in the chains of hell and damned. Nephi was asked to do something difficult, and he arose stronger and wiser after the trial of his faith.

It would do you well to take a lesson and seek out a refiners fire of your own, and strengthen your own faith.

Gaz

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Re: Truthfulness of the Book of Mormon

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:Image
Is that supposed to be a depiction of Nephi dressed in Laban's clothes?

If yes, it is incorrect and misleading.

According to the text of the Book of Mormon, Nephi beheaded the falling-down-drunken Laban first, then he put his clothes on... so where is the blood in the depiction?
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Just a picture of Nephi.

I find alot of pictures here http://ldsart.com/llfvis.php that I place in my posts.

Gaz
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

For you porter

Post by _Gazelam »

_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Re: For you porter

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:Image

What a joke, Laban was supposed to be some old king dude... and his head is still attached, hello?