A frank discussion on Homosexuality.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

If the Law of Moses is fulfilled why is so much still taken from his writings?

Because there is a difference between the carnal commandments (which are no more) and principles.

Why not file away some of the older thoughts and focus on Jesus?

Why focus only on the words of Jesus when Jesus sends prophets and apostles to continue to communicate his will?

It's tough to have a debate when you've got MagicMan on your side, huh? Why post here then? Just to engage in hyperbole?

If MagicMan is the source and authority for all your comments in a debate then it sounds like you have nothing more to offer us.

I must be a prophet since I predicted this would be the response: "Because God said so."

Since we are dealing with religion here, that 'God said it' is a perfectly cromulent argument (so long as you show where God said it as I have done).

There truly is nothing more to offer the athiest except the fact that the existence of God is testable from the Christian perspective (John 7:17). Problem is, few atheists have the gumption to test it and many who do have it confirmed to them fall prey to the parable of the sower (Matthew 13).

One could also ask why an athiest has so much interest in posting on a religious board. Most answers to that question I've seen prove athiesim to be a religion.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Runtu wrote:I must be a prophet since I predicted this would be the response: "Because God said so."

How would you have responded when you were a believer? Is there any other rational reason other than God said so?

Actually there may be a few:

Homosexuality is wrong because it is a genetic dead end. No wait, scratch that. Bachlerhood would be just as evil.

Homosecuality is wrong because it's disguisting. No wait, that would make mixing your dessert with your main course in a blender evil too--not to mention certain vegetables.

Homosexuality is wrong because it hurts people's feelings. No wait, that is either arguing in circles, or ultimately futile. It would thus be wrong to marry in the temple and hurt the feelings of non-member parents.

Homosexuality is wrong because it doesn't provide both gendered role models for children. No wait, that would make a widow raising children without remarriage evil too.

Did I miss something?
Last edited by Analytics on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

bcspace wrote:
If the Law of Moses is fulfilled why is so much still taken from his writings?

Because there is a difference between the carnal commandments (which are no more) and principles.

So the commandment is that homosexuals should no longer be killed.

The priniciple is what? Homosexuality is still bad.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

asbestosman wrote:
Runtu wrote:I must be a prophet since I predicted this would be the response: "Because God said so."

How would you have responded when you were a believer? Is there any other rational reason other than God said so?

Actually there may be a few:

Homosexuality is wrong because it is a genetic dead end. No wait, scratch that. Bachlerism would be just as evil.

Homosecuality is wrong because it's disguisting. No wait, that would make mixing your dessert with your main course in a blender evil too--not to mention certain vegetables.

Homosexuality is wrong because it hurts people's feelings. No wait, that is either arguing in circles, or ultimately futile. It would thus be wrong to marry in the temple and hurt the feelings of non-member parents.

Homosexuality is wrong because it doesn't provide both gendered role models for children. No wait, that would make a widow raising children without remarriage evil too.

Did I miss something?

Best response of the day, asbestosman!
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

So the commandment is that homosexuals should no longer be killed.

The priniciple is what? Homosexuality is still bad.

You're on the right track (though Romans 1 might throw you for a loop lol).

When you're talking about eternal happiness, of course, then I can't be an expert on happiness and am only engaging in transient happiness.

According to your definition of happiness, maybe.

I'll be he can even accuse me of other abuses that masquerade as happiness, if he tries hard enough. Thank GOD this is the Celestial Forum!

Where are thine accusers? If you want to confess down in the Telestial forum, be my guest.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Homosexuality is wrong because it doesn't provide both gendered role models for children.

One of the main reasons homosexual marriage should not be recognized by the state.

No wait, that would make a widow raising children without remarriage evil too.

Not at all. There is a proper role model in this case because she has not engaged in a homosexual relationship.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

My thoughts on why this has been such an issue for so long (and I personally have no problems with homosexuality):

Ancient religions usually had dieties who created by procreation. It was always the male/female connection that brought seomthing into existence in these "procreation" theologies. Think of fertility cults.

Now, the male/female union created children, but obviously, the male/female union was not the only one that could create love. But because so many people back then saw children (especially sons) as a sign of favor from the gods, and even prosperity, I think many people didn't know how to handle the homosexual union. It didn't seem natural to them. And in true animalistic fashion, you seek to condemn, anhiliate, etc., that which you don't understand or fear.

Now, with that said, I've had women who were attracted to me (for those who don't know, I'm a woman). One wrote me lovely poetry in high school. I've been attracted to women before, but I felt "blessed with a choice", meaning bisexual leanings, rather than homosexual. On top of all I deal with, to have to come out to my family...I would rather have died. They disapprove of me enough.

I've never seen the gay union as strange. I have a new friend who I worked with who is gay. He and his partner are loving, they have a wonderful home, and two adorable pets. I enjoyed the time I got to spend with them. When I was 12, I met a lesbian couple who had adopted one little girl, and were seeking to adopt another. Two things "went against" them in modern society: they were lesbians, and they were white while their daughters were black. But to this day, the impression they left on me has stayed. I would have rathered those girls grow up with two loving mothers of a different race than in a crackhouse. However, I posed that scenario to someone once on another site, and they broke my heart by saying those sweet little girls, just toddlers (one who could remember and tell about her life before her new moms) should have stayed in the drug infested situation. Why? One crackhead man, and one crackhead woman.

:-(
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

bcspace wrote:
Homosexuality is wrong because it doesn't provide both gendered role models for children.

One of the main reasons homosexual marriage should not be recognized by the state.

Not at all. There is a proper role model in this case because she has not engaged in a homosexual relationship.

Thanks again for your ethereal quips and comebacks. They are most unenlightening. Could you please read the Book of Mormon before the end of the year and quote us your favorite scriputre, too?
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

bcspace wrote:One of the main reasons homosexual marriage should not be recognized by the state.

I agree. Marriage should not be recognized by the state. Let religioun define what marriage and let individual people decide what relationships they wish to recognize as special or not. But let the state afford the same opportunity to all people for things like health, properthy etc.

That appears to be a circular argument. Homosexuality is wrong because homosexuality is wrong.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

asbestosman wrote:
bcspace wrote:One of the main reasons homosexual marriage should not be recognized by the state.

I agree. Marriage should not be recognized by the state. Let religioun define what marriage and let individual people decide what relationships they wish to recognize as special or not. But let the state afford the same opportunity to all people for things like health, properthy etc.

That appears to be a circular argument. Homosexuality is wrong because homosexuality is wrong.

I think the arguing goes homosexuality is wrong cause my preacher says it's wrong cause the Bible says it's wrong.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07