A frank discussion on Homosexuality.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

bcspace wrote:
There is no GOD okay so no rules....Okay

That's one way to look at it, but it's not okay....

And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away. 2 Nephi 2:13

You know that isn't necessarily true, right?
And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness.

Prove that one to me. I think I have a lot of happiness but it would not be considered "righteousness" by Mormon standards. So if any part of "Nephi"'s reasoning is wrong...are his conclusions possibly wrong?
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I don't know why TBM's only label homosexuality as a sin. According to the Bible they should be doing much more.

I've read my Bible and certain parts always stick out. Shouldn't people being following the Bible CORRECTLY?

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Bond...James Bond wrote:I don't know why TBM's only label homosexuality as a sin. According to the Bible they should be doing much more.

I've read my Bible and certain parts always stick out. Shouldn't people being following the Bible CORRECTLY?

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

The children of Israel lived in a theocracy. They also lived in a time where breaking the Sabbath was a capitol offense. So was disrespecting your parents. So was committing adultery. Fortunately the New Testament does away with all that and has you work even harder by actually repenting of your sins. Besides, I'm not so sure about the whole wrathful God of the Old Testament.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

bcspace wrote:And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away. 2 Nephi 2:13

I'm not so sure that's true, because if it were it seems to imply a creation ex-nihilo. However, the D&C states that the elements are eternal. Doesn't that imply that there would actually be things to be acted upon even without God and that all things would not vanish away?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

asbestosman wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:I don't know why TBM's only label homosexuality as a sin. According to the Bible they should be doing much more.

The children of Israel lived in a theocracy. They also lived in a time where breaking the Sabbath was a capitol offense. So was disrespecting your parents. So was committing adultery. Fortunately the New Testament does away with all that and has you work even harder by actually repenting of your sins. Besides, I'm not so sure about the whole wrathful God of the Old Testament.

I was not being serious. Please nobody go out and kill any homosexual.

I was wondering why the Bible isn't edited to remove this archaic thinking. They're alot of good stuff in their about loving your neighbor and stuff, but its kinda conflicting when you read the Old Testament.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Knowing that God exists, I know that it is necessarily right.

Prove that one to me. I think I have a lot of happiness but it would not be considered "righteousness" by Mormon standards.So if any part of "Nephi"'s reasoning is wrong...are his conclusions possibly wrong?

Nephi's reasoning is not wrong as you must include all his reasoning in context. For example, 2 Nephi 28:7-10 shows that he believes this happiness you speak of is at best transitory (and likely not true happiness at all) and therefore, what you feel is happiness says nothing at all about Nephi's reasoning.

I don't know why TBM's only label homosexuality as a sin. According to the Bible they should be doing much more.

I don't know why you would say that as LDS label many things as sin, such as fornication and adultery (homosexuality always falls under one of those).

If you really had read your Bible, you would know that the law of Moses has been fulfilled and superceeded by gospel law.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

bcspace wrote:

Prove that one to me. I think I have a lot of happiness but it would not be considered "righteousness" by Mormon standards.So if any part of "Nephi"'s reasoning is wrong...are his conclusions possibly wrong?

Nephi's reasoning is not wrong as you must include all his reasoning in context. For example, 2 Nephi 28:7-10 shows that he believes this happiness you speak of is at best transitory (and likely not true happiness at all) and therefore, what you feel is happiness says nothing at all about Nephi's reasoning.

I don't know why you would say that as LDS label many things as sin, such as fornication and adultery (homosexuality always falls under one of those).

If you really had read your Bible, you would know that the law of Moses has been fulfilled and superceeded by gospel law.

If the Law of Moses is fulfilled why is so much still taken from his writings? Why not file away some of the older thoughts and focus on Jesus?
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

bcspace wrote:

It's tough to have a debate when you've got MagicMan on your side, huh? Why post here then? Just to engage in hyperbole?

If MagicMan is the source and authority for all your comments in a debate then it sounds like you have nothing more to offer us.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

MormonMendacity wrote:
bcspace wrote:

It's tough to have a debate when you've got MagicMan on your side, huh? Why post here then? Just to engage in hyperbole?

If MagicMan is the source and authority for all your comments in a debate then it sounds like you have nothing more to offer us.

I must be a prophet since I predicted this would be the response: "Because God said so."
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Runtu wrote:I must be a prophet since I predicted this would be the response: "Because God said so."

Right I thought...I'm not a true scotsman because I put sugar on my porridge.
For example, 2 Nephi 28:7-10 shows that he believes this happiness you speak of is at best transitory (and likely not true happiness at all) and therefore, what you feel is happiness says nothing at all about Nephi's reasoning.

When you're talking about eternal happiness, of course, then I can't be an expert on happiness and am only engaging in transient happiness.

I'll bet he can even accuse me of other abuses that masquerade as happiness, if he tries hard enough. Thank GOD this is the Celestial Forum!
Last edited by Nomomo on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.