Click Here to Read My Ongoing Interview with Gazelam

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Re: MM

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Thanks for responding, Gazelam!

Gazelam wrote:OK, I'll ask, what doctrine changed in the Book of Mormon? I have never read of a single signifigant change in the Book of Mormon, I must have missed something, please share.

Some fo the "doctrine" that changed is that it was the most correct book. The doctrinal questions may be nothing new but the changes make its claim to revelation in doubt to reasonable people.

For example, in 1 Nephi 11:21 used to read "...behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Eternal Father!" and now it says "yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father!" He did it again in 1 Nephi saying "...that the Lamb of God is the Eternal Father and the Savior of the world." now it says "..the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father and the Savior of the world."

So...it's not the most correct book. It's unsure about whether Jesus is the Eternal Father or just His Son or both.

Gazelam wrote:As far as seer stones, if I remember correctly, the church has three seer stones in its vault. Everything Moroni delivered to Joseph was returned after the translation was finished.

And as a believer you don't have a problem with that. I think that reasonable people could say that it sounds like "returning them to Moroni" is what a con-man would claim. Isn't that a reasonable conclusion because the Church won't or can't produce the props?
Gazelam wrote:I don't know that there is a scripture about others in the Americas, but I do have a paper somewhere that talks about all the different people who came to ancient America. I don't know much about the DNA thing, I have tried to read a number of papers on it, but its writen in half scientific jargon that I don't have the patience to trod through, its almost as bad as trying to read old Catholic books. I know the Book of Mormon is true, the DNA stuff will come along later. (Emphasis added)

Gaz, it sounds like you might be dependent on your testimony instead of critical thinking. The Church leaders taught for years that the Book of Mormon was about "...the principal ancestors..." of the American Indians. That's what the Introduction to the Book of Mormon says. Now it sounds like they're backing away from that.

Gazelam wrote:You know what thew answer is to the garments, you don't need it explained to you. Its about modesty and remembering your covenants. If the swimsuit thing is an issue, wear a wrap at the beach. Since PG-13 is dodgy, don't go see it.

D&C 58:26-27
26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

Gaz, I don't have any doubts about nudity. The social and cultural mores don't bother me. There is no standard. No godly standard, that's for sure. No scriptural standard. No First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve, GA, SP or Bishop "standard". Nudity standards are in the eye of the beholder. God hasn't given any direction on this and yet ... we get a no earrings, tattoos and R-rated movies standard.

Gazelam wrote:In all those lessons you taught in church, and in all your attendance, what is your remembrance of the Holy Ghost. How often did you feel him?

Gaz, I never felt the Holy Ghost and you probably didn't either. You can't explain how the Holy Ghost works or when what you think the HG is is working. Can you? I can have the exact same feeling that the Church is false as when I ask if it's true. There is no revelation -- or the prophets would never get caught in a trap like Hoffman set for them. Of all people, they should have been able to avoid that one, doncha think?
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.