SunstonePodcast #002: The Mormon Struggle with Assimilation

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Re: SunstonePodcast #002: The Mormon Struggle with Assimilat

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Jason Bourne wrote:An interview with Armand Mauss.

Has anyone listened to this.

What interesting view Mauss presents on the tensions new religious movements go through as an organization in walking the line between assimilation into society as a whole and maintaining enough distinctness to attract ant retain members. Moves in either direction, according to Mauss, will alienate and cause disaffection among the more conservative or more liberal members of the organization, depending on the direction of the move.

Here is a summary of the podcast:

Ever wonder why the LDS church started out so revolutionary/controversial, then made huge strides towards becoming more mainstream and even progressive, and then retrenched itself a bit into increased orthodoxy or conservatism? In this SunstonePodcast episode, we interview Armand Mauss, author of The Angel and the Beehive: The Mormon Struggle with Assimilation.

JB, sorry i took so long to follow-up the podcast. Even now my attempt to connect failed, but i could read the comments. Doing 'some' of that and gleaning through the previous posts, it appears to me the LDS Church in its mortal make-up differs little from other mortal corporate structures.

Leadership styles change congruent to their individual characteristics which affect the thrust of the organism they drive. Ups and downs, highs and lows of any individual or group are what they have in common. A time to buy and a time to sell; growth and no-growth. A time for all seaons...

I respectfully suggest this very humanly form declares LDSism little differs from any other ISM. Those at the top trickling down remuneration to those working on the assets that accumulate by the efforts of those at the bottom.

As the top-dogs age and become more fat-cats they become less exploratory, take fewer risks--they have more to lose as assets accumulate--and entrench in what had worked...stagnation sets in...

Someone said (Mauss?) the Church started by a divine spark, and then lost that spark but continued more as an ash--or words/thoughts to that affect?? This "divine spark" i suggest is what ignites all 'revealings' of new solutions that have moved, and will continue to move, humanity forward to fulfill "God's" mandate for man to become more capable and responsible stewards of this Universe. Such 'divinity' is not under exclusive franchise. It is so vast as to be availabe to one and all who will energize it!

To date Religionism, including LDSism, has not done well on "God's" behalf. Can it do better? Of course! Was Joseph Smith a visionary who could have influenced to that end? Who can say with certainty? Does the answer to that matter? No!

What matters NOW is what LDS leaders, bearing whatever irrelevant title, do in conscience, and with courage to address the obvious need to "feed my sheep!" This begs the question: To a familiar tune of the 60s, "Where have all the Shepherds gone? Long time passing..." Warm regards, Roger
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: SunstonePodcast #002: The Mormon Struggle with Assimilat

Post by _Jason Bourne »

JB, sorry i took so long to follow-up the podcast. Even now my attempt to connect failed, but i could read the comments. Doing 'some' of that and gleaning through the previous posts, it appears to me the LDS Church in its mortal make-up differs little from other mortal corporate structures.

Certainly the Church, as do most large organizations, has become this way in many respects.

Leadership styles change congruent to their individual characteristics which affect the thrust of the organism they drive. Ups and downs, highs and lows of any individual or group are what they have in common. A time to buy and a time to sell; growth and no-growth. A time for all seaons...

I respectfully suggest this very humanly form declares LDSism little differs from any other ISM. Those at the top trickling down remuneration to those working on the assets that accumulate by the efforts of those at the bottom.

As the top-dogs age and become more fat-cats they become less exploratory, take fewer risks--they have more to lose as assets accumulate--and entrench in what had worked...stagnation sets in...

I believe that is correct. The LDS Church in its early days was certainly much more dynamic, and very much personality driven. And that is still there some. Certainly the Church president stamps his personality on much of what is done. But when one sees the inner workings, like the Book David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism demonstrates, the Church President operates in a culture where other strong personalities wield much influence. Preservation of the organization is paramount and outward appearances of the leadership seems to out weigh at times the more right thing to do. For example, the public image of Bruce R. McConkie was more important the repudiating a bad book that he published without authorization to do so. Thus a generation or two of Mormons put Mormon Doctrine

Someone said (Mauss?) the Church started by a divine spark, and then lost that spark but continued more as an ash--or words/thoughts to that affect?? This "divine spark" i suggest is what ignites all 'revealings' of new solutions that have moved, and will continue to move, humanity forward to fulfill "God's" mandate for man to become more capable and responsible stewards of this Universe. Such 'divinity' is not under exclusive franchise. It is so vast as to be availabe to one and all who will energize it!

I agree.

To date Religionism, including LDSism, has not done well on "God's" behalf. Can it do better? Of course! Was Joseph Smith a visionary who could have influenced to that end? Who can say with certainty? Does the answer to that matter? No!

I believe Smith was one of many visionaries, and that he got carried away with his vision as time moved on. This often happens. His vision has not become mired down and the survival of the organizations paramount. Truth from whatever source as Joseph once proclaimed a fundamental truth of Mormonism is not the banner for the day.

What matters NOW is what LDS leaders, bearing whatever irrelevant title, do in conscience, and with courage to address the obvious need to "feed my sheep!" This begs the question: To a familiar tune of the 60s, "Where have all the Shepherds gone? Long time passing..." Warm regards, Roger

Astute observations.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Jason, you said:
Astute observations.

Coming from one who i respect very much, that is very-much appreciated. Warm regards, Roger