Flawed Patriarchal Blessings

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Patriarchal blesings

Post by _Gazelam »

There are things that make a difference. Preparation on both the giver and receiver of the blessing.

From what I understand, Patriarchs often already know that they are going to be called to that calling. There are various stories regarding this. Being a Patriarch is a spiritual gift, and these men are obviously carefully selected.

The Spirit of the Holy Ghost will respond to a person who is in the spirit of prayer and fasting. I think mine would have been very different prior to my mission than it was post.

That they have some pre formed phrases isnt a problem, since someone who is unworthily seeking personal revelation doesent need to walk away empty handed and needs to receive something that might set them on the path to receive personal revelation later and train them to receive the Holy Ghost.

Alma 12:9-10
9 And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.
10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

Heed and diligence to prior revelation brings further light. Is it possible that the Patriarch could block this? Yes, but.. I think you get my point.

My blessing offers increased insight with each passing year. I'm often suprised when I read it.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: Patriarchal blesings

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:There are things that make a difference. Preparation on both the giver and receiver of the blessing.

From what I understand, Patriarchs often already know that they are going to be called to that calling. There are various stories regarding this. Being a Patriarch is a spiritual gift, and these men are obviously carefully selected.

The Spirit of the Holy Ghost will respond to a person who is in the spirit of prayer and fasting. I think mine would have been very different prior to my mission than it was post.

That they have some pre formed phrases isnt a problem, since someone who is unworthily seeking personal revelation doesent need to walk away empty handed and needs to receive something that might set them on the path to receive personal revelation later and train them to receive the Holy Ghost.

Alma 12:9-10
9 And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.
10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

Heed and diligence to prior revelation brings further light. Is it possible that the Patriarch could block this? Yes, but.. I think you get my point.

My blessing offers increased insight with each passing year. I'm often suprised when I read it.

Gaz

I don't know, picking from a pre-set selection of blessings doesn't sound particularly inspired or inspiring. I can't speak for other people, but I believed that things in the church were actually done by revelation, especially things like patriarchal blessings. To find that they are not is a disappointment to me.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

Gazelam wrote:From what I understand, Patriarchs often already know that they are going to be called to that calling. There are various stories regarding this.

Gaz, have you ever questioned this line of reasoning you have? Doesn't it hint to you that you are being set up with these "various stories"? And where do you come up with "often already know"? Both of your comments are so self-serving to your basic assumption that I can't believe you accept this without critical scrutiny.

Gazelam wrote:Being a Patriarch is a spiritual gift, and these men are obviously carefully selected. (My emphasis)

Huh? How "obviously" if it's not obvious to me? My wife's father was called as a patriarch and was extremely disappointed. He had served as a counselor in the Stake Presidency and was very disappointed when he wasn't called as the stake president. He was SURE that the spirit had told him he was going to be the stake president. Being called as the Stake Patriarch was like being put out to pasture. He did it for a bout two years and then they moved and he never did it again.

From my wife's recollection, those were not his happiest years.

Gaz, your stories are so inclined at confirming your bias about the Church's perfection that it is hard for me to understand how you can always accept the standard answer -- iknowthischurchistrue.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Juggler Vain
_Emeritus

Post by _Juggler Vain »

Gazelam wrote:That they have some pre formed phrases isnt a problem, since someone who is unworthily seeking personal revelation doesent need to walk away empty handed and needs to receive something that might set them on the path to receive personal revelation later and train them to receive the Holy Ghost.

I apologize for jumping in here without introduction, but I'm curious about what you wrote here. Is this how you explain the "pre formed phrases" found in the PBs of those with whom you are conversing in this thread? It's simply a matter of their personal worthiness?

-JV
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Juggler Vain wrote:
Gazelam wrote:That they have some pre formed phrases isnt a problem, since someone who is unworthily seeking personal revelation doesent need to walk away empty handed and needs to receive something that might set them on the path to receive personal revelation later and train them to receive the Holy Ghost.

I apologize for jumping in here without introduction, but I'm curious about what you wrote here. Is this how you explain the "pre formed phrases" found in the PBs of those with whom you are conversing in this thread? It's simply a matter of their personal worthiness?

-JV

I missed that. Good point. Part of me wants to tell Gaz to go do something naughty to himself for passing that kind of judgment, but I see he's floundering for an excuse. I look back on the teenage me who received a patriarchal blessing, and I see someone with a pure, albeit hopelessly naïve, faith in God and his church, not someone unworthily seeking personal revelation.

Besides, the point was that all patriarchs were using these preset stock blessings. Does that mean that everyone who gets a patriarchal blessing is unworthy? That would suggest that every patriarchal blessing is just something to give a person and doesn't represent real revelation. Oh, wait, so this means that Gaz agrees with me. ;-)
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Runtu wrote:I look back on the teenage me who received a patriarchal blessing, and I see someone with a pure, albeit hopelessly naïve, faith in God and his church, not someone unworthily seeking personal revelation.

I don't even know how someone could come to the conclusion that it was "unworthily" done.

I wanted to follow the commandments and have this "guide for my feet". I know I could use a lot of creative explanations to blame myself for the problems -- because I DID do that for many years.

But where it disappointed me so much was that I truly DID follow its instructions. I truly tried to live so that it would come true and bless my life.

I just now think there was very little wisdom in the words.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

How much of the blessing was preworded and how much wasn't? I can see the parts of mine that may have been preformed phrases, but most of mine is specific to me. Should I be upset that it isnt all directed at me? That would be silly.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

mendacity

Post by _Gazelam »

Sorry to hear about that guy. Sounds like he needed to change his attitude and stop seeking after positions.

Hopefully he learned his lesson.
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Re: mendacity

Gazelam wrote:Sorry to hear about that guy. Sounds like he needed to change his attitude and stop seeking after positions.

Hopefully he learned his lesson.

I guess the same could be said about you, Gaz.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Gazelam wrote:How much of the blessing was preworded and how much wasn't? I can see the parts of mine that may have been preformed phrases, but most of mine is specific to me. Should I be upset that it isnt all directed at me? That would be silly.

It's difficult to say, isn't it? The parts of my blessing that seemed the most personal to me (and to my SP's son) were nearly identical in both blessings. I used to think, Wow! Heavenly Father really knows me well and has some specific plans for me. Kind of reminds me of those identical revelations in the D&C.
Runtu's Rincón