When did Jesus become a God?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Berean
_Emeritus

When did Jesus become a God?

Post by _Berean »

I'm just asking for a point of clarification from any LDS member out there...

When did Jesus become a God? Was it before or after being born into his physical body on earth? I'm unclear where most LDS members stand on this point.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

It depends on which "profit" you want to go with. Many doctrinal teachers say he was from the beginning as he organised the matter of earth. Some would say that he was once he ascended into heaven. Or in some roundabout way i just now realised. Since adam was god, and god created earth, and jesus was the god that made earth. Was adam jesus?
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Sono_hito wrote:Was adam jesus?

No, but Jesus was the Second Adam (1 Cor. 15:47 (21-22, 45-47)
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: When did Jesus become a God?

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Berean wrote:I'm just asking for a point of clarification from any LDS member out there...

When did Jesus become a God? Was it before or after being born into his physical body on earth? I'm unclear where most LDS members stand on this point.

Based on LDS Scripture-BOM, Bible, D&C , PoGP especially Book of Moses, Jesus was God from the beginning and one with the Father.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Abraham 3:24
24 And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;

Christ was worthy enough to act for and in behalf of the Father from the beginning. He did this through his actions and strngth of will in being obedient to the eternal principles of the gospel, setting an example for us to follow.

I believe in the fullest sence he became equal to the Father after his resurrection, but he was endowed with divine investiture of authority in the pre-existence.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

To be honest, I don't know if there are any 'formal' pronouncements in the church on exactly WHEN Jesus became God, the assumption seemed to be that he was always Son of God and a God in his own right, next to his Father. I was always a little confused on just who did what. The difference between Eloheim, Jehovah, and how Jesus fitted in. I do remember being taught that 'The word' in John referred to Jesus, and that this indicated his divine status from the 'beginning'? (If eternity exists then the beginning is a bit of a paradox)

I never heard in all my years of activity, any suggestion that Jesus attained his Godhood, either at Baptism (as an adult) or the Resurrection???
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Gazelam wrote:Abraham 3:24
24 And there stood one among them that was like unto God, and he said unto those who were with him: We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell;

Christ was worthy enough to act for and in behalf of the Father from the beginning. He did this through his actions and strngth of will in being obedient to the eternal principles of the gospel, setting an example for us to follow.

I believe in the fullest sence he became equal to the Father after his resurrection, but he was endowed with divine investiture of authority in the pre-existence.

I have to disagree Gaz. The Book of Mormon is very clear that Jesus was fully God before his earthly existance.

So does the Book of Moses.
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Jason, yes. I was always taught at church that Mary really was a virgin, and that Jesus was God's literal son (after the manner of the flesh) rather than metaphorical one.

So that makes sense.

Still perhaps the confusion comes in the idea that Jesus, as in Luke....grew in wisdom, stature, favour with God and favour with man.

So, taking that Jesus was God, there perhaps was a time when Jesus was not aware of his Godly status. (not that that was ever really expounded upon in any Sunday School lesson)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

This question has been a source of questions for me for a long time, given the contradictory doctrine taught in the temple and in the KFD.

Jesus cannot be a special case: God is no respector of persons.

Jesus was God since the beginning: see Jason's post.

God was once a man: KFD

As God is, we can become: temple endowment

Yet.... Jesus was God since the beginning: see above.

Contradictory doctrine.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

This question has been a source of questions for me for a long time, given the contradictory doctrine taught in the temple and in the KFD.

Jesus cannot be a special case: God is no respector of persons.

I am not sure that this scripture applies to this context.

Jesus was God since the beginning: see Jason's post.

Do you agree?

God was once a man: KFD

I interpret Joseph Smith in this discourse to mean that he was a man same way Jesus was. The Father was a savior of a world, in my opinion the first world.

As God is, we can become: temple endowment

I have listened closely to the endowment and cannot find where it says we will be Gods. It does refer to royal status under God's dominion however. i

Yet.... Jesus was God since the beginning: see above.

Yes.

Contradictory doctrine.

For me the early theology of the Church does cause some conflict with later doctrine. Personally I have tried to correlate it. But members are confused. Gaz is prety knowledgeable about LDS doctrine. Yet his comments about Jesus not being fully god till after the resurrection conflict with the Book of Mormon, Much of the D&C, the Lectures on Faith, the Bible.