Thinking Outside the Box

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Thinking Outside the Box

Post by _maklelan »

Many people these days think deep inside the box. For every individual who actually thinks outside of it there are probably in the neighborhood of a million who are hopelessly trapped inside it while they insist on their clairvoyance and intelligence. I will provide a simple test to see how far inside the box the people on this board are:

What professional baseball player holds the record for the most stolen bases in a single season?
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: Thinking Outside the Box

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

maklelan wrote:What professional baseball player holds the record for the most stolen bases in a single season?

Rickey Henderson -- 130 stolen bases in 1982?
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

OOOH....I know....I know...

How bout

A pink spotted elephant with purple striped rollerskates, eating a bowl of trifle and wearing a magicians cap!!!

(Do I pass??????)

:) :)
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

I going to go out on a limb (or "out of the box"?) and guess that Maklelan is referring to a non-U.S. baseball player, perhaps somebody from Cuba, or Japan.

So, Mak: Am I right? Am I that one out of a million?
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

I admit it - I was trying to think of only MLB players.

Scratch is probably right.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Reminds me of a dumb riddle i heard when i was younger, that goes something like this:

A father and his son were driving in a car, and got into a bad accident. They were rushed to the hospital, but the father died on the way there. The son was rushed into the ER, but when the doctor saw the patient, the doctor said 'I can't operate on that boy - that's my son!'

How is this possible?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

This can actually be a thoughtful topic. People thinking inside the box. One academic that I admire is Slavoj Zizek. He said basically that we have two freedoms. The first freedom is formal freedom. The second is actual freedom. In formal freedom, we are free to discuss inside a set of boundaries. But in actual freedom, we choose to step outside the boundaries and embrace true freedom, where we can challenge basic assumptions about life situations.

Most societies do have formal freedom but most never even achieve actual freedom, where individuals can freely express themselves and challenge the ruling elite of their society by offering alternatives to their rule. The press, and other media outlets are experts at giving us formal freedom but actual freedom is very difficult to uncover.

And so, most individuals think inside a box because they have been educated to do so. The people who go outside the boundaries are the radicals and the revolutionaries for change. How many people here on this forum are radical and revolutionary?...and by radical, I refer to getting to the root of life and to explore their place in society in diliberative dialogues for change.

Well anyway, the box idea spawned this idea...now back to baseball.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Who Knows wrote:Reminds me of a dumb riddle i heard when i was younger, that goes something like this:

A father and his son were driving in a car, and got into a bad accident. They were rushed to the hospital, but the father died on the way there. The son was rushed into the ER, but when the doctor saw the patient, the doctor said 'I can't operate on that boy - that's my son!'

How is this possible?

His mother's the doctor!
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Apparently I'm unable to think inside the box, since it requires sports knowledge, of which, I have very little.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

So are you asking if members of the LDS church think inside or outside the box? What about our leaders... do they think inside or outside the box? Is thinking inside the box safe? Is thinking outside the box dangerous?