Thinking Outside the Box

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

The answer is 42.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Doctor Steuss wrote:The answer is 42.

Welcome, Doctor Steuss. We're always needing more doctors.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

harmony wrote:

My doctorate degree is in Misanthropic Misology, so I don’t know if it will be a welcomed addition. Compound that with the fact that I am simple minded and rarely have anything of substance to contribute, I fear that eventually you may wish to retract your welcome.

But, for now I thank you for it, as it is a rarity when I am welcome.

Luvs, Hugs, and Mild Drugs,
Stu
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
harmony wrote:

My doctorate degree is in Misanthropic Misology, so I don’t know if it will be a welcomed addition. Compound that with the fact that I am simple minded and rarely have anything of substance to contribute, I fear that eventually you may wish to retract your welcome.

But, for now I thank you for it, as it is a rarity when I am welcome.

Luvs, Hugs, and Mild Drugs,
Stu

I had a brother named Stu, so I'm a bit partial to the name. We like all kinds of doctors here, including the old PhuDdy duddy kind. To give you an idea about how welcoming we are, we never ban anyone, and we even welcome *gulp* lawyers.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

harmony wrote:To give you an idea about how welcoming we are, we never ban anyone, and we even welcome *gulp* lawyers.

Hey now - I represent that comment! (someone has to stand up for the tasseled loafer crowd!)
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

The answer required no real sports knowledge, except for an ability to do a search on Yahoo, which is exactly what enables everyone to appear so expert at issues they see for the first time in a post they intend to respond to.

Sophie Kurys stole 201 bases in 203 tries with the Racine Belles in 1946. The common error is to search in the MLB, but there are professional baseball players all over the world, and women even played professional baseball for several years here in the states.

Everyone approaches questions with a set of assumptions firmly in place. The more a person denies they makes assumptions, the more assumptions you can gaurantee they are making. I began another thread about the morality of killing in Old Testament times, and a lot of people are developing their arguments from squarely inside their little box. 2nd Millennium BC people did not have the luxury of being able to live by the same ethical frameworks that we demand they adhere to from the comfort of our central-heated homes. Try to think outside the box and it will amaze you how different the world really is. Descartes did this, and the only thing he decided was not an assumption was cogito ergo sum.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Actually, I dispute your claims about the nature of peoples that lived historically. (If I read you correctly)

Of course people to an extent are a product of their environment and culture...

But...

Humans are humans are humans.

We hate, we love, we can be kind, ignorant, spiteful, jealous, greedy, manipulative, we need protection for the young, shelter from the elements, food for survival, and social support, we also have a basic instinct and desire to perpetuate the species, and so on and so forth.
Human nature is a constant I think. It can be harnessed and controlled by the culture, but it's there in us all, all the same...
Certainly since we became self-aware as a species.

And actually, the way in which people lived in early cultures were actually quite efficient and comfortable.
Humans are good at adapting. (and the romans used some pretty good central heating techniques over here in the UK 2000 years ago...)
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

Miss Taken wrote:Actually, I dispute your claims about the nature of peoples that lived historically. (If I read you correctly)

Of course people to an extent are a product of their environment and culture...

But...

Humans are humans are humans.

We hate, we love, we can be kind, ignorant, spiteful, jealous, greedy, manipulative, we need protection for the young, shelter from the elements, food for survival, and social support, we also have a basic instinct and desire to perpetuate the species, and so on and so forth.
Human nature is a constant I think. It can be harnessed and controlled by the culture, but it's there in us all, all the same...
Certainly since we became self-aware as a species.

And actually, the way in which people lived in early cultures were actually quite efficient and comfortable.
Humans are good at adapting. (and the romans used some pretty good central heating techniques over here in the UK 2000 years ago...)

I recommend you take a few courses on the ancient Levant and how comfortable life was. The powers that were spent literally all of their time out killing and plundering everyone they could. It was actually a necessary result of the ancient Near Eastern status distributive economy. The market economy wasn't even imaginable until long after the Greeks, and the ideology of kingship that existed until the middle ages actually made a market economy physically impossible. To keep your economy from imploding on itself you needed to continue to refresh your supply externally. This was achieved through conquest. Everyone on the planet was at risk, and everyone on the planet had to participate.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Thinking Outside the Box

Post by _moksha »

maklelan wrote: Who holds the record for the most stolen bases in a single season?

Jesus Hernandez. In 1987 he snuck into the Dodger stadium on multiple occasions and stole a total of 11 bases, hoping someday that they would be worth something to a collector. He was right, in 2004 he sold them on E-bay for $615.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Thinking Outside the Box

Post by _harmony »

moksha wrote:
maklelan wrote: Who holds the record for the most stolen bases in a single season?

Jesus Hernandez. In 1987 he snuck into the Dodger stadium on multiple occasions and stole a total of 11 bases, hoping someday that they would be worth something to a collector. He was right, in 2004 he sold them on E-bay for $615.

Oh Moksha. Once again you demonstrate exactly what it means to be a penquin. And I just love lil penquins!