A question for atheist philsophers

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_marg

Post by _marg »

ajax18 wrote: What holds you back if you know you can get away with it?

In my small world, the people I come in direct contact with I respect their rights and expect the same in return. And if someone tends to be disrespectful, I tend to either let them know their behavior isn't acceptable or I don't associate with them as much or at all, depending upon the things they've done. Or I look for ways to resolve the conflict, which at times they might not like or agree with, but I use means which are socially acceptable and legal.

I appreciate that there is injustice in this world, that atrocities have been/will be commited against others and can understand the feelings of wanting revenge, and that at times retaliation and/or aggression against others may indeed be ethically justified.

No pain, no hunger, no fatigue, super mental and physical powers. Not having to put up with evil people since they have now been relegated to live with people like themselves and have no more power to cause me grief? It sounds pretty good to me.

Are you really living that miserable a life? Well I guess what it is ajax is that most atheists do not view or experience their lives as negatively as you.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Are you really living that miserable a life? Well I guess what it is ajax is that most atheists do not view or experience their lives as negatively as you.

No, but I certainly hope and pray for something better. For some it certainly can be more terrible to live than to die. Something keeps them pressing on. Pain and hardship are a part of life. I rely on my faith to help me through it. In other words my faith which I have accepted as a reality for me gives me meaning in suffering that comes my way often times. I just asked what atheist rely on when life gets hard?
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_marg

Post by _marg »

[quote="ajax18]I just asked what atheist rely on when life gets hard?[/quote]

I'd imagine people handle things different emotionally. I've handled negative events by appreciating 's*** happens', by reactive depression, by coping strategies none of which involved seeking unethical means of revenge. I appreciate that I'm extremely fortunate because the positives far, far outweigh any negatives. I had wonderful parents, who didn't use fear or strict rules to parent, but rather led by good example and encouraged me to be self responsible. My life has never been too hard.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Fair enough. I appreciate your responses.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.