A question for atheist philsophers

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

A question for atheist philsophers

Post by _ajax18 »

To me the very thought that our existence is finite necessarily means that effectively nothing matters. How long do we exist, even as a species, or a living being compared to eternity? The fraction is 1/(a very large #). This basically means zero. For me to try to find meaning in that belief seems almost as difficult as trying to prove the truth of religions fairy tales. Is it possible that it is literally easier for the human mind to believe something that we have no evidence for than something we do? Everything we see says that death is the end, and yet to me it's a philosophical impossibility that death is the end. If existence is finite nothing is lasting, and ultimately nothing really makes a difference.

While there is basically no evidence to support the veracity of Chritianity's miracles like the resurrection, healings, angelic visitations etc. Much of the logic seems sound in an abstract way.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: A question for atheist philsophers

Post by _Dr. Shades »

ajax18 wrote:To me the very thought that our existence is finite necessarily means that effectively nothing matters. How long do we exist, even as a species, or a living being compared to eternity? The fraction is 1/(a very large #). This basically means zero. For me to try to find meaning in that belief seems almost as difficult as trying to prove the truth of religions fairy tales. Is it possible that it is literally easier for the human mind to believe something that we have no evidence for than something we do?

I'd say it depends on what it is. If the brain desperately needs to believe something in order for the body to continue functioning, then it's easy to believe it, evidence or no evidence.

Everything we see says that death is the end, and yet to me it's a philosophical impossibility that death is the end.

Why?

If existence is finite nothing is lasting, and ultimately nothing really makes a difference.

Where's the rule that says everything has to make a difference?

While there is basically no evidence to support the veracity of Chritianity's miracles like the resurrection, healings, angelic visitations etc. Much of the logic seems sound in an abstract way.

How so?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

If existence is finite nothing is lasting, and ultimately nothing really makes a difference.

I guess I came to that conclusion by considering the alternative. To me the fact the something has existed at one time necessarily means that it must always exist somewhere and in some way at any point in time. The idea that man or any other being simply ceases to exist seems impossible to me.

I'm not saying that the atheist are wrong and I'm right. I'm just saying that if the atheist are right, then there is no meaning to anything. If there is no meaning, what motivates you to do anything at all?

Are you an atheist? If so, what do you consider to be the purpose of your life? If you have no purpose, why do you do what you do, whatever it is?
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Quantumwave
_Emeritus

Post by _Quantumwave »

ajax18 wrote:

I guess I came to that conclusion by considering the alternative. To me the fact the something has existed at one time necessarily means that it must always exist somewhere and in some way at any point in time. The idea that man or any other being simply ceases to exist seems impossible to me.

I'm not saying that the atheist are wrong and I'm right. I'm just saying that if the atheist are right, then there is no meaning to anything. If there is no meaning, what motivates you to do anything at all?

Are you an atheist? If so, what do you consider to be the purpose of your life? If you have no purpose, why do you do what you do, whatever it is?

You are making an assumption here that all atheists do NOT believe in continuation of life after the death of the physical body. I admit that I was once such an atheist, but now I am an atheist who believes in the afterlife, and while there are not many of us, I am not unique.

My belief is that the scriptural gods from the Bible, Koran, and Torah including Jehovah, Allah and Jesus are all man-made, and there is no other definition of "God" that I accept. This fits the definition of "atheist".

I can think of one other person who shares my philosophy, and I will provide his quote:

The material world is a transitory and passing world, and matter as we see it is the least important thing in the universe, though to us today it seems to be the most important. The things which are unseen are eternal; those things which are seen are temporal. –Arthur Findlay,On the Edge of the Etheric

The atheists I have known take on a heightened purpose to maximize the quality of their lives and the lives of those around them. Contrary to popular belief by religionists, atheists do not automatically become thieves, murderers and rapists, due to their lack of "fear of God". A telling statistic I have seen is that the population of US prisons have a higher incidence of God-based religious belief than the US population in general. (Don't ask me to find it)

I have arrived at the conclusion that we are all on a path of spiritual progression, and it happens whether we believe it or not. The Law of Unconditional Love governs our spiritual progress. The Law exists and operates, whether we are aware of it or not. It is more than a truth to be learned; it is unavoidable, eternal and immutable. The Law simply states that if we act or react to our earthly stimuli with love, then our spiritual progress is accelerated. If we act or react with hatred, then spiritual progress is retarded, or reversed, depending on significance of the act. It must be remembered that acts include thoughts, which are spiritually equivalent to physical acts. Also, inaction is a form of reaction.

Unconditional love is not only a total acceptance of everyone and all things, it is, and perhaps most importantly, a total acceptance of ourselves. Unconditional love is total acceptance, non-judgmental and does not make demands. It is a love that comes from a depth within, that is felt whether with someone or experiencing solitude. We must learn to live life from the “inside out” instead of from the “outside in”.

Statement of The Law is simple. Total compliance is difficult. To love others, is to love ALL others. Should we love those who detonate lethal explosives where people are gathered? The Law states that to be in total compliance, we MUST love them. This is where compliance becomes difficult. Jesus told us to love our enemies. He did not tell us to love their behavior, and this is the key. People make their own choices, and if they commit reprehensible acts because of their beliefs, then their beliefs and resultant acts are to be condemned, but the individuals must be included in our love for all.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. –Blaise Pascal
Without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion. -Stephen Weinberg
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Thanks for the reply Quantum Wave. I had never considered the idea of an atheist who believed in the supernatural.

You said that we were on a spiritual journey. What exactly is it that we are progressing toward at an accelerated or retarded rate? When I asked why people who don't hold beliefs of an afterlife do what they do, I wasn't referring to self control of criminal behavior as much as, "What makes you fight through work everyday or just face the grind of life?"
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

The statistic is that .02% of people in jail are atheist. The conservative estimate on actual atheists within the USA is around 7-9%

Using that, it would be a pretty easy argument on who the more "moraly correct" or better behaved people are.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Sono_hito wrote:The statistic is that .02% of people in jail are atheist. The conservative estimate on actual atheists within the USA is around 7-9%

Using that, it would be a pretty easy argument on who the more "moraly correct" or better behaved people are.

It's an interesting statistic. I still believe that religion helps most people live more ethically. That's beside the point though. My question was bascially what is the meaning of life for someone who believes we cease to exist at death?
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

Sono_hito wrote:The statistic is that .02% of people in jail are atheist. The conservative estimate on actual atheists within the USA is around 7-9%

My question would be, how many were atheists when they got there, and how many decided to find God upon getting in there?
I like you Betty...

My blog
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

ajax18 wrote:Thanks for the reply Quantum Wave. I had never considered the idea of an atheist who believed in the supernatural.

You said that we were on a spiritual journey. What exactly is it that we are progressing toward at an accelerated or retarded rate? When I asked why people who don't hold beliefs of an afterlife do what they do, I wasn't referring to self control of criminal behavior as much as, "What makes you fight through work everyday or just face the grind of life?"

Why would anyone take a job that's a fight to get through every day? Why is life a grind? Life is short; eat dessert first! Don't worry; be happy! Stand in holy places, yes, but make every place you stand a holy place. Pay it forward. Game on!
_marg

Post by _marg »

For those who think that religion helps individuals make better moral decisions..I'd be interested in you explaining to me or giving some examples of why or how an atheist would be likely to make poorer moral decisions than let's say a Christian.