What are your experiences, interests and areas of expertise?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

I guess I am partly to blame for that Gazelam. It is a very interesting subject though, so I was reading the comments and opinions with interest!

This thread is about peoples interests and experience after all!
What it does show, is that people are interested in a lot of things 'besides' Mormonism!!
That should say something in and of itself!

Mary
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Fortigurn wrote:
richardMdBorn wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:
Sono_hito wrote:I think that the first bomb was a horrific, but nessecary show of force to stop the war with the japanese. If we had waited a while longer (another 3-4 days tops) they would have surrendered with just that. The second was completely unnesscary. If it had not been done though, more lives would have been lost overall from the protracted war. Its sad that such things may be done, but i can see their function.

I believe neither were necessary, since there is clear evidence that the Japanese were already desparately negotiating for a surrender before either bomb was dropped. The bombs appear to have been more of a statement to Russia.
Some of the Japanese were trying to surrender, but there were strong elements opposing this. Even after the two atomic bombs were dropped and the Soviets attacked, there were attempts to keep the Emperor's address from being broadcast.

Official diplomatic overtures of surrender had been made. The fact that some of the Japanese didn't like this doesn't change the fact that they were made. There was no reason for a wholesale invasion of Japan at this point in any case, so there's no argument to be made that the bombs were necessary in order to avoid Allied deaths in an invasion of Japan. Japan had no naval, air, or land forces capable of launching an attack anywhere outside Japan.

The place was being regularly firebombed indiscriminately by Allied aircraft which enjoyed total air supremacy. The intelligent plan would have been to suspend all military incursions into Japan (air, sea and land), simply hold Japan under siege, and threaten additional air strikes in the case of non-surrender.

I have to concur with the above post.

About the firebombing (let alone the A-bombs): madness, and really far beyond what was necessary, in my not so humble opinion.

An interesting anecdote. I lived there for 10 years. While living in Saitama, the prefecture directly north of Tokyo, I happened to visit a shrine, whereupon I met an old gentleman feeding the cats outside the torii. We entered into a discussion about the firebombing. According to him, the whole area had been wiped out in the firebombing. He knew the names, and could tell me about each and every one of the kids, of the pilots who had flown such missions, as well as, their superiors' families.

It was really kind of frightening; the look in his eyes and the tone of his voice indicated quite clearly how much he hated the Americans for that.

I'm not taking sides; war is ugly. But, to see the hatred still so strong 50 or so years later really set me back on my heels.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Re: What are your experiences, interests and areas of expert

Post by _grampa75 »

Miss Taken wrote:I wonder if anyone would oblige by answering this. It really helps to know this when reading posts.

Mine are about (with regard to the LDS church) 17 years of activity (from about 14 to 30, though I was baptised as a 9 year old and my family all quickly went inactive) as a single woman, plus a mission. Was originally christened into the church of England, though was never confirmed.
Academic interests are child development to which I'm educated to post graduate level, (not that it means I know much though!) and I currently teach music, RE and PE part time to 7 and 10 year olds.
I'm very interested in theology, early christianity and of course Mormonism. My undergraduate degree is in history, so I have a fair knowledge of the development of christianity in England and the UK, the development of the family, the concept of childhood historically, the Stuart Dynasty and the 2nd world war!!!

Would be very interested in reading about other backgrounds????

Mary

I, personally am a sixth generation Mormon my 4th great grandfather being baptized by David Whitmer in Seneca Lake, Fayette County, New York, in June of 1830. I love to read the journals of my ancestors, one especially is a letter attached with it that was received by Brigham Young to my 4th great on the Winn side of my family.

However, I joined the Military after college and was never able to go on a mission. I soon became a Major in the 4th Marines and was in charge of the training of snipers as I had previously proved very proficient in shooting, but that knowledge didn't really do me much good later on in my life. In March of 1952 my snipers and the 26th Cav took over a prisoner of war camp in Korea where I met this young woman that had been incarcerated there whom I feel head over heels in love with. She told me that God helped her get through the terrible times she had experienced in that camp and from what she explained to me, I can't believe it could have been anything else. We were married sorthly after I made Lt. Colonel But discoverd two years following that she had been traumatized so badly during the time she had spent in the prisoner of war camp (3 months)that she could not have any children, so we adopted all the rest of the children in the world. Well, 9 anyway.

I stayed in the military for 28 years and retired in 1978. My wife could no longer continue in her nursing career as the very sight of blood would make here sick, so the government sent her back to school where she obtained her degree as a psychiatrist, which really came in handy rearing our family.

After my retirement I followed in the construction trade for a time until I was tired of it. So now I just stay at home most of the time and either read or write. I love writing books for my family that teaches them the truth about why they should remain faithful to the Church. I have had 4 of my boys go on missions and 6 out of the nine finished college. The most educated one in our family is my oldest son that has a doctor's degree in Electricular Nuclear Engineering. And also a master's degree in Linguistics, having been one of my family that went on a foreign mission. I am very proud of all my family.

I still feel that something is missing in my life but as yet I have not discovered what that might be. I do communicate with the Holy Spirit on almost a daily basis as we are instructed to do in our scriptrues.

1 John 2: 27 The anointing which you have received of him abideth in you, and ne need not that any man teach you, but the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Doctrine and Covenants 6: 11 If thou wilt inquire that shalt know mysteries which are great and marvelous. Therefore thou shalt exercise thy gift that thou mayest find out mysteries, that thou mayest bring many to the knowledge of the truth, yea, convince them of the error of their ways.

grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

I'm a seventh-generation member of the LDS church. My direct ancestor was baptized in November 1830 in Kirtland and later became the supervisor of the Kirtland temple construction and later a member of the First Presidency. I grew up in Southern California, served a mission in Bolivia (where I met my wife), and earned a BA and MA in English Literature at BYU. I have six children and work as a technical writer in Houston, Texas.

My interests are in history, art, music, and generally being annoying.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I was completely inactive for over 30 years until I resigned almost 2 years ago. As a child I was never completely active---my parents never attended, but sent my brothers and I to Sunday School and MIA and scouts. I don't think I was ever really a believer, either. I had many, many questions from the get go and never got satisfying answers from primary teachers, the bishop or God himself when I prayed.

Although I grew up in SLC and lived there until my late 20's, I've lived for over 20 years now on the east coast where I'm a tenured college professor. My interests are art, photography, music, cultural theory and history. I put a lot of time into my teaching--perhaps too much. I write for both scholarly journals and mass circulation publications and I'm trying to do more of that.

Hi, Runtu! I didn't want to use my RfM handle here because...actually I don't know why. I came here in the aftermath of feeling icky after you revealed quotes of mine in the "archives" of a prominent apologist. I can't lie: it skeeved me out.

Will I stay? I have limited time for posting and reading right now. But its been instructive to see how another board operates.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Hey, Grampa75 and Runtu, our ancestors knew eachother! I'm a great-great granddaughter of Hyrum Smith so they were sure to have been aquaintances.

I'm married, have three children, been an active member all my life. I have a BS in Psychology. I taught Gospel Doctrine for six years and now I teach the 14-17 year olds--my husband is the Bishop in our ward. I help out in my youngest daughter's school and do PTA stuff. Raised in Marin Co, Calif., lived back East for a while, but have lived in Salt Lake for the past 15 years.

I enjoy reading--world history, biographies, historical events etc, but I have a special interest in LDS History and personailities. I also enjoy reading about interesting things that peek my curiousity; ghosts, aliens, legends and myths etc.

Also, welcome Blixa, nice to have you on the board!
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Post by _grampa75 »

Alter Idem wrote:Hey, Grampa75 and Runtu, our ancestors knew eachother! I'm a great-great granddaughter of Hyrum Smith so they were sure to have been aquaintances.

I'm married, have three children, been an active member all my life. I have a BS in Psychology. I taught Gospel Doctrine for six years and now I teach the 14-17 year olds--my husband is the Bishop in our ward. I help out in my youngest daughter's school and do PTA stuff. Raised in Marin Co, Calif., lived back East for a while, but have lived in Salt Lake for the past 15 years.

I enjoy reading--world history, biographies, historical events etc, but I have a special interest in LDS History and personailities. I also enjoy reading about interesting things that peek my curiousity; ghosts, aliens, legends and myths etc.

Also, welcome Blixa, nice to have you on the board!

Hello Great Great Grandaughter of Hyrum Smith. I would be forced to say that our grand parents did know one another. I am a High Priest Group leader in the Church.

If you want to know how to stop children from crying during Sacrament meeting let me tell you how to do that. Take one minute and go down and ordain the child a high priest, he or she will fall asleep immediately. LOL

I am a great lover of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and read the scriptures about 2 to 3 times a year. I timed myself once and read the entire Bible in 18 days, that was my record. I do read fairly fast but I also have nothing else to do but read. I now am too interested in reading other books on science and astronomy. I also read books on history, biography, and try and study languages. I was very fluent in Korean and a little spanish or rather Mexican since there is some differences.

grampa75
Paul W. Burt