What are your experiences, interests and areas of expertise?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mary
_Emeritus

What are your experiences, interests and areas of expertise?

Post by _Mary »

I wonder if anyone would oblige by answering this. It really helps to know this when reading posts.

Mine are about (with regard to the LDS church) 17 years of activity (from about 14 to 30, though I was baptised as a 9 year old and my family all quickly went inactive) as a single woman, plus a mission. Was originally christened into the church of England, though was never confirmed.
Academic interests are child development to which I'm educated to post graduate level, (not that it means I know much though!) and I currently teach music, RE and PE part time to 7 and 10 year olds.
I'm very interested in theology, early christianity and of course Mormonism. My undergraduate degree is in history, so I have a fair knowledge of the development of christianity in England and the UK, the development of the family, the concept of childhood historically, the Stuart Dynasty and the 2nd world war!!!

Would be very interested in reading about other backgrounds????

Mary
Last edited by Schreech on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Born into the church. Both sides of the family have members that were converted in the early days, and then came across the plains (some after having made the voyage from England).

I’ve been mostly inactive starting at about the age of 14. I cleaned up my act around 17 to prepare for a mission. I submitted my papers and was denied (both by my stake president, and then upon request by my bishop and parents to appeal to the First Presidency, I was also denied by them. I believe the exact words of the letter were: “This young man is NOT to serve a mission.”). The reasoning behind the denial is my mental health.

Ever since then, I’ve had a bit of hidden anger towards G-d that I’ve never completely reconciled (especially since my Patriarchal Blessing is in chronological order, and serving a full time mission comes before marriage – and yes, I’m still single [27 years old]). About a year and a half ago I started reading criticisms against the church, and then started reading the stuff from FARMS, and FAIR, and eventually began devoting a large portion of my paycheck to various books.

I love (LOVE) music, poetry and literature. Theology interests me, but I’m still pretty new as far as studying it goes. I’m really not an expert at anything, just an amateur at a lot of things.

PS.
Miss Taken,
My mother teaches Early Childhood Special Education. I have such a high respect for those that decide to enter into the teaching profession. It is one of the few professions where you pretty much know that the person isn’t in it for the money.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

I converted just after I turned 20. I was a member for five years total.

My academic interests are theology and history. I pretty much live in the past, I love to read historical novels and to watch movies set in a past era. I lived in Germany for two years, and the history and culture there just blew me away. I got interested in theology just as I was leaving the LDS church, because I wanted to better understand what the allure of religion is, and what makes people believe as they do. But that takes more than just a study of spirituality, and as my education progresses, I hope to be able to cover some psychology and sociology as well to help me on my journey.

I'm interested in anything artistic, though I wouldn't call myself talented. I pick up languages easily, though it's hard to retain fluency here in the US if you don't hear the language every day. I love to read, I do that more than watch TV. My favorite period in history was regency England.

I'm an introvert who loves the written word. When I have a lot to do, I tend to tune out and concentrate on the task at hand, which causes me to get very quiet...it unnerves people, they think I ignore them. I try not to be so rude, but I can't help withdrawing sometimes when under pressure. I usually come home in the evening and just sequester in my room.

Miss Taken, I'm with Steuss, you're doing a wonderful thing. I love children, am a nanny part time, and have cared for one special needs child. He's such a star, so curious and into everything. I took him on his first train ride, and it was quite an experience for him, going underground. The first child I ever cared for outside my family turns three in three days.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

I'm 42 years old.....will be turning 43 next month. I grew up in the Church in Northern California. My Mom has strong roots in the Church, but my Dad converted when he started seriously dating my Mom. It was one of the few success conversion/dating success stories; Dad ended up converting most of his immediate family.

I received a Musical Theater scholarship to BYU, and received my BA in Vocal Performance (voice). My husband and I met at the Y and were married in the Salt Lake temple in 1986. A job change led us to North Carolina, where we currently reside, in 1993.

We have two daughters, ages 18 and 15, and a "surprise" little boy, age 3.

In the year 2000, I grew fascinated with computers. I had been asked to spearhead a marketing project for the Fortune 500 company I was working for which involved web programming. It was "baptism by fire" to a whole new world. I really wanted to learn more about it. I went back to school, and started a Master's degree program in Computer Science. Through my connections at school, I learned of a teaching position with a local technical college. I taught full-time in their IT department while I completed my Master's. In 2002, shortly after I graduated, the Web Development program I was teaching in was eliminated. The Director who had hired me referred me to a very reputable State College, where I have been teaching for the past five years.

I enjoy my job; I love teaching. The commute, however, is killing me with the gas prices. I'm also not crazy about having to take my toddler to daycare every day.

I'm in the process of starting a new adventure, which I hope works out; I'm opening a music studio in my home. Being my own boss has some distinct advantages....no commute, no daycare expense, and more flexible hours. I've been teaching voice for about two years now, and have picked up four students without doing any type of advertising, so I'm hoping that if I put together an aggressive marketing campaign, I can pick up the additional students needed so that I can still earn a decent income, but be able to spend more time with my son.

I also do some resume and website consulting, and volunteer at the High School, conducting Musical Theater workshops and vocal coaching for the school musicals.

This is probably way more information than you wanted to know about me. If I'm rambling, it's Shades' fault. He inadvertantly deleted my last post. LOL

Love ya, Shades! ;)
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

liz3564 wrote:We have two daughters, ages 18 and 15, and a "surprise" little boy, age 3.

It's the 21st Century, Liz. There's no such thing as a "surprise" anymore. :-)

Love ya, Shades! ;)

Right back at'cha!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Dr. Shades wrote:
It's the 21st Century, Liz. There's no such thing as a "surprise" anymore. :-)

He was a surprise for us! After I had a miscarriage 10 years ago, I was told that the chances were slim to none that I would be able to have any more children, due to some other medical complications.

So...he is our miracle baby in that regard. ;)
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

BIC, 23 as of today. (happy birthday to me, haha) Born just outside seattle washington. (still in love with that state/area) Fairly standard childhood. My parents where avid church goers. I always attended the extra meetings and was a regular scouter. Parents divorced when i was about 14-15. So I became used to being the supportive oldest bro to my 3 biological siblings. Always been an avid reader of fantasy and player of videogames. Over the last few years I've become increasingly interested in ancient theological studies and the related archaeology. (not related to my exit from Mormonism) Currently unmarried, no kids. Inactive around 18, actively out at 19. (the story to this is kinda different than some of the other ones I've heard)

Recently I've been studying the gaming industry intently as i have a good lead into joining a major game developer that is starting a new company. (more news as it developes) Currently being considered for lead spot on the concept and developement team.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Yay!! This is fantastic...

Anyone else want to chime in. What about you Dr Shades. You have always been a bit of a mystery (to me anyways!).
Any chance of (just a little) background!!!
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I am 54 years young. I was raised in a teetotaling Baptist home, with 2 brothers and 2 sisters. I joined the church 36 years ago, while at college. I married my high school sweetheart in the temple a year later. My joining the church tore my family apart. They nearly disowned me; they made their disappointment quite clear. In later years, a younger sister joined the church, was endowed, and quickly went completely inactive. Both her children were baptised, and both have completely left the church. No one else in my family is a member.

I have 8 children, ages 21-34; 6 are married, 4 in the temple; 11 grandchildren ages 9 mo to 11 years, with the 12th on the way in late summer. I was obedient to every word from the Brethren for over 15 years, and then I got pissed off at Pres Benson. It's been a roller coaster ride ever since. I lived in abject povery in order to be the stay at home mom my church leaders told me I needed to be. When my oldest was 14, he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. A year after his diagnosis, the stress of my life cracked my health. When my youngest was 3, I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis. In the last 18 years, the list of ailments that afflict me has grown to the point that often strangers wonder how it is that I am still alive.

When my youngest went to kindergarten and my oldest was on his mission, I went back to college, and completed an AAS, a BA in Social Sciences with a minor in Sociology, and a Masters in Education in Counseling Psychology. While earning my BA, I worked part-time as a parole officer for the Department of Corrections. I thought I would make that my vocation, but my supervisor told me that although I was the best he'd ever seen at what I did, he would never hire me because he felt the job would crush my spirit. After earning my BA, I went to work as a program coordinator for a national non-profit agency. While doing my Masters internship, I realized I was not suited for counseling work, as it became abundantly clear early in the internship that I was unable to distance myself from my clients, and I absorbed their issues and suffered as they suffered, rather than being able to maintain a proper clinical distance. I could not counsel the depressed without becoming depressed myself. Thus, I continue to work for the national non-profit agency for the last 13 years, and am considered an expert on volunteer management, program development, rural health issues, and community mobilization. I consult for my state Department of Health, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, the National Institutes of Health, and the Center for Disease Control. I am published in youth advocacy leadership, volunteer training, and Native American community health mobilization.

My interests as far as the church is concerned include women's roles, polygamy, and early LDS history. My husband's family tree includes those who are mentioned by name in the D&C. I am reasonably well read on polygamy, I've lived the women's roles and I've taken numerous college courses around family and women's issues, but I am not as well read on early LDS history as I would like to be. I view these boards as a place to learn, to discuss that which I cannot discuss in real life. I live in a rural area, and finding discussion groups that talk about these issues is nigh onto impossible. I've met several posters from various boards, in real life. I am a charter member of the Fringe, and count the posters there as dear as any member of my real ward. I'm grateful to Shades for creating this board, and am amazed daily by the diversity of posters and the incredible depth of some of the discussions here. Some day I'll make it to Utah and maybe some posters here would like to raise a glass (in my case, of Diet Pepsi) to the amazing discussions we have here, and we could break bread together.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

I'm 51. Have been an evangelical for the past 37 years. I have had several LDS attempt to convert me which accounts for my interest in LDS history.

My interests include the English and American Civil Wars. I had a great history prof at Brown University, David Underdown, who helped spark my interest in the English Civil War I'm an avid chess player and am interested in the invention of GPS. My dad received an award last year from President Bush at the White House for his work on it. That was an exciting day. When I was a kid, my family would regularly drive to Annapolis for Sunday brunch with Captain Weems who was an airplane navigation pioneer and knew Lindbergh well. I have published one article on the origins of GPS which has stirred up things and am working on another one. The number of deceptive and just wrong statements which have been published is just amazing. Some are by people exaggerating or making up their achievements. Others are written out of ignorance.

Richard