Memorial Thread for Kathy Worthington

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Dr. Shades wrote:[MODERATOR POST:

Polygamy Porter, do you intend this thread to be a positive memorial for Kathy Worthington and her work, or do you intend it to be an open discussion of her methodology and/or tactics?

If the former, then I'll have to split up this thread. If the latter, I'll have to move the whole thing to the Terrestrial Forum.]
Her work HELPED and HEALED.

Her methodology and tactics? Truth.

A sure sign of an apologist being scared of the work of someone is evident by a quick initial personal attack, such as we have seen here.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

(Moderator Note) OK, guys...this is what I've done. If Shades has a problem with this, he can, of course override me. I have kept the thread intact. I have also left PP's comments alone as he is entitled to his opinion, regarding President Hinckley and the contribution of work by Ms. Worthington.

I have, however, changed the title of the thread so it is less inflammatory. PP, if you truly want this thread to be a memorial to Ms. Worthington, then from this point on, this thread will be heavily monitored. Only respectful comments regarding Ms. Worthington's life and work will be allowed.

All other commentary needs to be subject matter for another thread.

Liz
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

Well done Ms Worthington.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

From Infymus on the Terestrial Thread:

Infymus wrote:I am truly grateful for Kathy's work in helping Mormons resign from the Corporation of Joseph Smith. It was through Kathy that I resigned in July of 2001, using one of her form letters and modifying it for my own purposes.

Kathy will truly be missed. If anything should happen to her site, I will be picking it up and hosting it myself if at all possible.

The Mormon Corporation makes it very difficult for members to resign. This needs to be changed. As it stands, the Corporation tries as hard as it can to retain control of the member - by harassing or by dragging their feet – and it needs to stop.

With Kathy’s passing, I will be creating a very large section on my site to help facilitate the removal of names and help carry on Kathy’s legacy.

She will be missed.

_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

liz3564 wrote:From Infymus on the Terestrial Thread:

Infymus wrote:I am truly grateful for Kathy's work in helping Mormons resign from the Corporation of Joseph Smith. It was through Kathy that I resigned in July of 2001, using one of her form letters and modifying it for my own purposes.

Kathy will truly be missed. If anything should happen to her site, I will be picking it up and hosting it myself if at all possible.

The Mormon Corporation makes it very difficult for members to resign. This needs to be changed. As it stands, the Corporation tries as hard as it can to retain control of the member - by harassing or by dragging their feet – and it needs to stop.

With Kathy’s passing, I will be creating a very large section on my site to help facilitate the removal of names and help carry on Kathy’s legacy.

She will be missed.

Thanks, Liz, for doing an excellent job moderating what has become a sticky subject.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Runtu wrote:Thanks, Liz, for doing an excellent job moderating what has become a sticky subject.

Thanks, sweetie! :) I try!

Runtu, you mentioned that you knew Kathy. Is there any information on how old she was...What she died of....When a memorial service will be held?

Is there a link to an obituary, etc. that we can link to?

Thanks!

:)
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

liz3564 wrote:
Runtu wrote:Thanks, Liz, for doing an excellent job moderating what has become a sticky subject.

Thanks, sweetie! :) I try!

Runtu, you mentioned that you knew Kathy. Is there any information on how old she was...What she died of....When a memorial service will be held?

Is there a link to an obituary, etc. that we can link to?

Thanks!

:)

http://www.legacy.com/saltlaketribune/O ... d=86646980

I knew her because last year I wrote an essay on my now-extinct blog about her partner's passing and how it was received in certain circles. I realized that I had neglected to ask Kathy if that was OK, and we ended up exchanging a series of emails over a few months. She was a very kind and gentle person whom I was glad to have known.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Thanks, guys! :)

I think it's worth copy/pasting here:

Kathy Worthington 1950 ~ 2007 Kathy Worthington was born Oct. 20, 1950 in Salt Lake City, Utah. She died at her home in Taylorsville on February 22, 2007. The fourth child of six, Kathy grew up in Utah, Arizona and California. Kathy loved school and loved to learn about the world. She discovered her love of languages at the University of Utah. Never one to do anything halfway, Kathy went to Mexico in 1972 to study Spanish. While there, she met and married Rudy Ju rez (later divorced) and had two girls: Rita Lucia (Lucy) and Sonia Cristina (Cristy). Kathy also busied herself helping to build a community for the poor, and taught English for three years. Upon her return to the U.S., Kathy's hands were full raising two children and working full time. In 1989 Kathy came out as a lesbian. She immediately immersed herself in the gay community and soon gained celebrity status via her prominent role as a gay rights activist. She organized women's social and support groups, planned political rallies and was on the board of the Utah Stonewall Center in its early days. She founded the Womyn's Community Newsletter in April of 1991, which was published for four years. This influential publication played a pivotal role in creating a cohesive lesbian community in Utah. In 1992 Kathy's heart was utterly won over by Sara Hamblin, the woman whom Kathy described as her "wife, life partner and best friend." The two participated in political rallies, marched in Washington, and were married at "The Wedding," the huge group union ceremony performed at the 1993 March on Washington for gay rights. Kathy and Sara were legally married in Canada in 2003. In their 14 years together they traveled widely, visiting 17 countries as well as much of the U.S. Sara was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1995. They immediately became experts on the disease. Through their studies and determination, they successfully fought off the disease for 11 years. After a battle with the U.S. Postal Service, her employer from 1986 to her death, Kathy was granted leave in May of 1997 to care for Sara during her cancer treatments, a highly celebrated victory for the gay community. Sara died at home in Taylorsville on February 21, 2006 with Kathy and their family by her side. Kathy's reach extended beyond even her own imagining. Her name is everywhere, from her direct and poignant postings regarding Sara's battle with breast cancer on bcmets.org, to her prominent work in the ex-Mormon community. She was the founder and administrator of the preeminent website providing information on resignation from the Mormon Church, www.mormonnomore.com. Her work in the gay community cannot be overstated. Kathy's generosity reached even further. She agreed to translate for a woman who was shot by her husband. Once, while discussing this series of events, Sara summed up Kathy's irrepressible drive to reach out to others: "Kathy gets confused about words sometimes. Maybe in Spanish the word 'translate' means to take someone under your wing and do everything you possibly can for them, no matter what time of day or night, no matter the distance, no matter the danger. If that's what the word means, then Kathy did an excellent job of 'translating.'" Kathy was a healing and informative force unleashed upon the world. Kathy changed lives, from Sara's, who said she went from being in the closet to "out on the front porch with spot lights turned on," to close friends, to those she never even met through her work in the community and on her websites. Kathy is preceded in death by her wife, Sara Hamblin, their "Big Boy" Chiffy, mother Luella, father Dale and brothers Rick and Allen. She is survived by daughters, Cristy and Lucy, former husband Rudy Ju rez (Ronnie), sister Dolly (Larry), brothers Marty (Gayleen) and Craig (Debra), and her cats Missy and Squeaky. Jude, Dianna, Kathy, Annette, Chuck, Penny, Mandy, Marie and Misty are special friends who were very close to Kathy, and have been especially supportive in this last year. Marilyn knows what comfort she brought to Kathy, and her family is overwhelmed by their appreciation for her. Special thanks to Margie and Alma for their support. Kathy's family extends their thanks to those who loved and followed Kathy through her eventful and influential life. Kathy's wish was to be cremated and her ashes joined with Sara's. The two were never meant to be separated. A memorial for those who wish to celebrate Kathy's life will be held Sunday, March 4, 6-8 p.m. at the I.J. and Jeann‚ Wagner Jewish Community Center at 2 North Medical Drive, SLC; 581-0098. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Utah Pride Center (www.utahpridecenter.org) or Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (www.bestfriends.org). A tribute to both Kathy and Sara may be found at www.geocities.com/kathywut/homepage.html. "Sometimes I feel downright wealthy," Kathy once said. "We are managing to do so many things that are exciting and fun that I feel very fortunate." Those of us whose lives were touched by Kathy's spirit feel just as fortunate to have known her.
Published in the Salt Lake Tribune on 2/28/2007.
_Zakuska
_Emeritus

Post by _Zakuska »

In 1989 Kathy came out as a lesbian.

figures.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Zakuska wrote:In 1989 Kathy came out as a lesbian.

figures.

What exactly is that supposed to mean?
Runtu's Rincón