Where have all the scholars on MAD gone???

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: Where have all the scholars on MAD gone???

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Miss Taken wrote:
Where have they gone. The board isn't the same without them......

They've taken on new aliases and have found a new board. You can find them on MormonDiscussions.com as "Guest" under "users online" on the front page. :)
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

And I would presume that this is why there was a culling. Most lds posters do not want to be p***** on by critics or surronded. There is room for debate and dialogue but harassing and downsneering would put off the best of the best.

And after reading the negatives here and the beer glass raising, well, maybe the mods have information that the average poster doesn't. Perhaps they can see into the hearts of the critics, regardless of the post.

But yes, they are gone, at least for a while. But I do believe that they will return out of necessity. The MAD board is after all an apologetics board and it is there to assist members who are experiencing problems or who have questions. Experts are needed.
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Why me,

That's a little unfair. Where is the beer glass raising? Most of the quips are reasonably good-hearted. I think you are being a little hard.

I expect that not a few of the people who post here would actually admit to a grudging respect for the scholars who post on FAIR.

I also disagree with your idea of the purpose of the MAD board.

it is there to assist members who are experiencing problems or who have questions

Surely it was a place where those of other religions, including ex or post Mormons could meet and discuss theological/cultural/historical issues with active and knowledgable Mormons. It's probably the last place a person should go to who is new to the church or experiencing doubts.

Laymen are well...laymen...and scholars are scholars. They need the scholars over there. The active Mormons need the scholars over there.

Not saying there aren't some good threads going on over there at the moment, because there are!!

Mary
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Things have slowed down a bit there at MA&D. I think it's just the normal cycle of things-people get busy, they get out of the habit and they find other things to do with their time. If one starts posting again, it might bring the others out.

Dr. Peterson did say he was taking a break from the board and the board was pretty fractious for a while there before they went back to the old stricter, moderating style. MA&D may have lost some participation during that time.