Mormon funeral

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_tundramom
_Emeritus

Mormon funeral

Post by _tundramom »

One of the girls in my high school choir has died of Colon Cancer and her funeral is tomorrow...... How does one deal with a Mormon funeral when we don't believe what they believe anymore? I mean........ I just think that I would have liked to get there if finances would have allowed, but I am a little weary of hearing the "families can be together forever" stuff at Mormon funerals.

Any thoughts?
Steph
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

Come dressed as a German philosopher, and then yell obscenties at anyone unfortunate to cross your path.

But seriously, just be respectful of the family and environment. Although you may not agree with her religion, someones death is DEFINATELY not the time to make those around you aware of this.

Oh and make sure you get seconds on the funeral potatoes...
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

- Friedrich Nietzsche
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon funeral

Post by _Jason Bourne »

tundramom wrote:One of the girls in my high school choir has died of Colon Cancer and her funeral is tomorrow...... How does one deal with a Mormon funeral when we don't believe what they believe anymore? I mean........ I just think that I would have liked to get there if finances would have allowed, but I am a little weary of hearing the "families can be together forever" stuff at Mormon funerals.

Any thoughts?
Steph

Just go and show your suppport and don't worry about the religous aspects of it. If you cannot do that don't bother to go.

I once went to the funeral of a young child, the son of a Evangelical thread. The whole service was an attempt to get people to accept Jesus. The minister talked about how happy we are that little, we will call him Tommy, was in heaven with Jesus, but if you have not accepted Jesus you better before you die and it is too late.

Talk about weary of whatever... but I was there for my friend and his wife and it was their son's funeral to plan and I was happy to show my love and care in their time of sorrow.

LDS are not the only ones to preach thier brand of gospel at a funeral.
Last edited by Lem on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

tundramom wrote:One of the girls in my high school choir has died of Colon Cancer and her funeral is tomorrow...... How does one deal with a Mormon funeral when we don't believe what they believe anymore? I mean........ I just think that I would have liked to get there if finances would have allowed, but I am a little weary of hearing the "families can be together forever" stuff at Mormon funerals.

Any thoughts?
Steph

Does one have to share the belief's of another to honor their life? tundra, I've been to all sorts of things such as baptisms, funerals, weddings and services of other faiths. About 6 months ago (?) I attended the funeral for the son of a Hindu woman I worked with. He had commited suicide. Before I left for the funeral, I took some time to search online about Hindu belief's so that I could understand them, respect them and try to relate to what his Mother was going through mentally and spiritually. Shouldn't I have done that?

Her marriage was an arranged marriage and there was next to no relationship between her and her husband. Her life was colored by various tragedies and this particular son was one light in her life. I sat in the back with one of my family members, I remained silent as people spoke at a podium, I watched silently as a film was shown and songs sung in a language I didn't understand.

But there is one language that we all understand, tundra. The language of emotions. When she pulled a chair to his casket and sat by him, it gave the effect of a mother looking at her infant in his crib. I cried openly at the sight of that. After the service I went to the front, put my arms around her and kissed her face.

Do I have to believe what she believes to understand that she is in pain? To understand that her heart was cut into little pieces? Should I have stayed home when I had a chance to comfort a friend?

What are the two greatest commandments, tundra?

There's your answer.

Sincerely,
Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Jersey Girl wrote:

Any thoughts?
Steph

Does one have to share the belief's of another to honor their life? tundra, I've been to all sorts of things such as baptisms, funerals, weddings and services of other faiths. About 6 months ago (?) I attended the funeral for the son of a Hindu woman I worked with. He had commited suicide. Before I left for the funeral, I took some time to search online about Hindu belief's so that I could understand them, respect them and try to relate to what his Mother was going through mentally and spiritually. Shouldn't I have done that?

Her marriage was an arranged marriage and there was next to no relationship between her and her husband. Her life was colored by various tragedies and this particular son was one light in her life. I sat in the back with one of my family members, I remained silent as people spoke at a podium, I watched silently as a film was shown and songs sung in a language I didn't understand.

But there is one language that we all understand, tundra. The language of emotions. When she pulled a chair to his casket and sat by him, it gave the effect of a mother looking at her infant in his crib. I cried openly at the sight of that. After the service I went to the front, put my arms around her and kissed her face.

Do I have to believe what she believes to understand that she is in pain? To understand that her heart was cut into little pieces? Should I have stayed home when I had a chance to comfort a friend?

What are the two greatest commandments, tundra?

There's your answer.

Sincerely,
Jersey Girl

WELL SAID!!!
_tundramom
_Emeritus

Post by _tundramom »

Absolutely Jersey Girl........ I agree 100 %. I loved this lady and she was a good friend of mine. Unfortunately, I'm not able to attend the funeral because of finances on a flight at such short notice. But I want to sent my love and support to her husband and her twin. Both she and her twin were part of my choir and I don't want to have to come up short of that bond.

Thanks you guys. You are awesome!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

tundramom wrote:Absolutely Jersey Girl........ I agree 100 %. I loved this lady and she was a good friend of mine. Unfortunately, I'm not able to attend the funeral because of finances on a flight at such short notice. But I want to sent my love and support to her husband and her twin. Both she and her twin were part of my choir and I don't want to have to come up short of that bond.

Thanks you guys. You are awesome!

Then send it, tundra. An email will get there in seconds. Maybe you have photos of her days in the choir? Perhaps you could enlarge one, frame it and send it to her family? A story or two to recall about those days?

Jersey Girl
Chinese Proverb
_tundramom
_Emeritus

Post by _tundramom »

Good Idea Jersey Girl..... I do have some pictures from our tours. I'll send them to her family.

Steph
_twinkie
_Emeritus

Post by _twinkie »

Everything Jersey girl said, 100% I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

tundramom wrote:Good Idea Jersey Girl..... I do have some pictures from our tours. I'll send them to her family.

Steph

I bet they'll appreciate that, tundra. And tundra? I'm sorry that your friend has died.

Jersey Girl
Chinese Proverb