Differences between Mormon & Christian theology

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Addendum

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Good points. I will ponder this some and get back to you on a few items.

I appreciate that good nature of this discussion.
_Aquinas
_Emeritus

Post by _Aquinas »

I don't think this thread will be at all edifying with my continued presence here. Aquinas, have fun with your thread

You put up an honorable fight and you are indeed skilled at debate. God bless you Maklelan, hope to read from you again.
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

maklelan wrote:
liz3564 wrote:
Mak wrote:I think the point that Miss Taken is trying to make is that it seems ridiculous to her to hold orthodoxy as the more sure route to salvation than orthopraxy. Many people (in a very Greek manner) think that it doesn't matter how you live, but how you perceive God that saves you. Others believe that knowing about God is important, but that a correct perception of God does not trump living a Christ-like life. Semitic religions were never orthodoxic, and that Christianity usually is is a testimony of the Hellenistic roots of its orthodoxy. They have nothing to do with the religion Christ established.

And there are those of us who simply believe that if you are kind to one another, and live your life in the service of your family and your fellow man, the hereafter will work itself out. :)

I tend to think that, but for some reason we're the one group that is least likely to be allowed to do so in peace.

Well maybe if your "group" would quit telling all the other "groups" that they are apostate and wrong, we could all have a little peace about us.
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

ozemc wrote:Well maybe if your "group" would quit telling all the other "groups" that they are apostate and wrong, we could all have a little peace about us.

Nice to see you again, ozemc.

Don't you guys consider the Mormons "apostate and wrong" too?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Runtu wrote:
ozemc wrote:Well maybe if your "group" would quit telling all the other "groups" that they are apostate and wrong, we could all have a little peace about us.

Nice to see you again, ozemc.

Don't you guys consider the Mormons "apostate and wrong" too?

Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, I consider most religions to be "wrong". :-)

My own personal beliefs are such that I believe that

1) There is a "God" who created everything.

2) We have no way of discerning exactly who or what He, She, or It really is.

3) All the scriptures ever written were just someone's attempts at trying to figure it all out, just like me, but, in the end, they were written by men. Good men, inspired perhaps, but men just the same.

4) I do believe that Jesus has a role in all this, and I do consider him my savior, but I will readily admit that I cannot fully comprehend that role.

5) In 100 years, I'll be gone aynway, so what difference does it make? I'll try to live my life the best I can, and, when it's finally all over, then I'll know. Until then, it's all guesswork.

As far as to what I think about Mormonsim, I think it's a religion for those who willing leave their reasoning at the door. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does create the sense that, to the rest of us, Mormons seem to "follow the party line" and don't do any critical analysis of their own religion.

i.e. "Once the Prophet said it, the thinking's done" (or something to that effect).

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

ozemc wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

Fair enough

3) All the scriptures ever written were just someone's attempts at trying to figure it all out, just like me, but, in the end, they were written by men. Good men, inspired perhaps, but men just the same.

4) I do believe that Jesus has a role in all this, and I do consider him my savior, but I will readily admit that I cannot fully comprehend that role.

5) In 100 years, I'll be gone aynway, so what difference does it make? I'll try to live my life the best I can, and, when it's finally all over, then I'll know. Until then, it's all guesswork.

I kind of like this attitude.

As far as to what I think about Mormonsim, I think it's a religion for those who willing leave their reasoning at the door. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does create the sense that, to the rest of us, Mormons seem to "follow the party line" and don't do any critical analysis of their own religion.

I.e. "Once the Prophet said it, the thinking's done" (or something to that effect).

I think that's a rather facile caricature of Mormons. I look at it as just people who, for whatever reason, have reached conclusions other than mine. I know a lot of Mormons who do critical analysis of their own religion.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Runtu wrote:
ozemc wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

Fair enough

I kind of like this attitude.

I.e. "Once the Prophet said it, the thinking's done" (or something to that effect).

I think that's a rather facile caricature of Mormons. I look at it as just people who, for whatever reason, have reached conclusions other than mine. I know a lot of Mormons who do critical analysis of their own religion.

OK.

I would consider that a good thing.

I, unfortunately, have not met too many.

Maybe I just haven't met enough, eh?

I have seen a lot more analysis on this site though, than in person.

Thanks.