Sustaining and Obedience

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Sustaining and Obedience

Post by _moksha »

What would you say is the dividing line between sustaining church leaders and promoting a cult of obedience? I think there must be a difference but sometimes it feels like the line is being blurred.

What do you think?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Sustaining and Obedience

Post by _asbestosman »

moksha wrote:What would you say is the dividing line between sustaining church leaders and promoting a cult of obedience? I think there must be a difference but sometimes it feels like the line is being blurred.

What do you think?

I think of the following Aaronic Priesthood lesson:
Overcoming Temptation
Explain that a man was interviewing new drivers for his transportation company. The route was very dangerous and went along several steep cliffs through a mountain pass. The interviewer asked each man how close he could safely drive near the edge of the cliff. The first man responded, “I could drive within six inches of the edge.” The second man responded, “I could drive within two inches of the edge.” The third man responded, “I would stay as far away from the edge of the cliff as I possibly could.”

• Who do you think was given the job? (The third man.)
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I think the line is very blurry, but when the leaders start making excessive orders to control people (such as orders about what is and isn't correct sexually and what to do with money [tithing]) you're across the line toward obedience.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07