Some questions from Sweden.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_ChrisB
_Emeritus

Some questions from Sweden.

Post by _ChrisB »

Hello, my name is Chris from Sweden, and I just wanna start by saying I wasn't sure where to post this thread, if it's in the wrong section ; move it.

My post is _definitely_ not anti-mormon, since I've been in contact with Mormons through our Baseball team here in Sweden, and every summer 2 guys comes up here and just want to play Baseball.

I recall two guys, Jake & Ryan from Salt Lake City, who spent a summer up here, we got very close, and we talked about many thins, such as religion, live views and so on, they also made me a delicious "american-pizza" with a thick crunch.
So, if you know which two guys I'm talking about, please let me now.

Now, ever since those guys visited us, and introduced me to the Mormon lifestyle, I discovered that a shared pretty much the same life views as them/you guys. And it seemed as an 'down to earth' religion.

Now here's the problem ; I started reading about the Mormon religon and lifestyle, but I can't say I'm that educated about the whole thing. In 2004 my mom, dad and two siblings died in the tsunami, and I got left behind because I was home with a terrible flu.
I thought after that, that I could seek comfort in religion, and God, instead I started rejecting religion, and started asking my self if there is a higher power, and why he let my whole family die, what did I do wrong? I DON'T deserve this.

And to continue, recently I watched 'This Divided State' by Michael Moore, and a pretty bad image was painted upon the Mormons, and I wondered if the religion I had been supporting for a while, really acted like this? In a country such as yours (U.S) with a Freedom of Speech, why did people decide not to let that guy speak? Also considering Utah was founded because of Mormons wanted to have freedom of religion and so on.

I mean, I come from a land of democracy and monarchy, where everybody is entitled their opinion, and can say what's on their mind.
Why didn't the religon I supported let that guy talk? that is beyond me.

Hope you guys have some sort of enlightening answer for me, because I'm ready to check out....

Sincerly Chris .
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Some questions from Sweden.

Post by _Dr. Shades »

ChrisB wrote:And to continue, recently I watched 'This Divided State' by Michael Moore, and a pretty bad image was painted upon the Mormons, and I wondered if the religion I had been supporting for a while, really acted like this? In a country such as yours (U.S) with a Freedom of Speech, why did people decide not to let that guy speak? . . . Why didn't the religon I supported let that guy talk? that is beyond me.

That's a question I've NEVER been able to figure out. Apparently once Mormons become the majority, they're just as oppressive as those they fled.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Some questions from Sweden.

Post by _Who Knows »

ChrisB wrote:Hope you guys have some sort of enlightening answer for me, because I'm ready to check out....

Sincerly Chris .

Check out of what? Life? Or religion?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_ChrisB
_Emeritus

Post by _ChrisB »

I feel if i don't have religion anymore, i might as well end my misery, right?
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

ChrisB wrote:I feel if i don't have religion anymore, i might as well end my misery, right?

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seek help of any sort!! Family. Friends. Professionals. Anyone.
Last edited by QuestionEverything on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

ChrisB wrote:I feel if i don't have religion anymore, i might as well end my misery, right?

Don't do it! Seek counseling before considering such a thing.

Lots of people without religion are happy. I'm one of them.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

My dear brother and friend. I have walked the dark night of the soul, and I can assure you that it does get better. The darkness does fade, and happiness can be had again. If you'd like, you can PM me, and I'll help talk you through this (I'll even give you my phone number if that will help). I spent a good portion of my senior year of high school in a mental-health hospital because of depression/bipolar (and it's a battle I still fight), and I know what it is like to not be able to imagine living another day.

Please take a moment a breathe. It doesn't seem like it now, but things do get better.

I am here if you need someone to talk to.

-Stuart
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_ChrisB
_Emeritus

Post by _ChrisB »

Doctor Steuss wrote:

http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/

My dear brother and friend. I have walked the dark night of the soul, and I can assure you that it does get better. The darkness does fade, and happiness can be had again. If you'd like, you can PM me, and I'll help talk you through this (I'll even give you my phone number if that will help). I spent a good portion of my senior year of high school in a mental-health hospital because of depression/bipolar (and it's a battle I still fight), and I know what it is like to not be able to imagine living another day.

Please take a moment a breathe. It doesn't seem like it now, but things do get better.

I am here if you need someone to talk to.

-Stuart

Thanks for the nice comment, and I'm sorry to hear about your mental issues.
Right now everything feels really empty, i mean, i don't even have a family!! Everybodys gone, the remaining of my relatives lives spread out across U.S, and i live in a small apartment all by my self, i want to seek help, but without my family, i'm nothing.

I hope things work out, but right now darkness surrounds me.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Chris,

Would you mind telling us how old you are and what your days are like right now? How you spend your time?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

ChrisB wrote:Thanks for the nice comment, and I'm sorry to hear about your mental issues.
Right now everything feels really empty, i mean, i don't even have a family!! Everybodys gone, the remaining of my relatives lives spread out across U.S, and i live in a small apartment all by my self, i want to seek help, but without my family, i'm nothing.

I hope things work out, but right now darkness surrounds me.

My battles with noggin' have actually made me a stronger person, and appreciate life a lot more. You're comment that "[you] hope things work out" has a lot of power in it. You still have hope, and that is a powerful thing.

I know that you don't know me at all, and really have no reason to listen to some anonymous person on a message board, but I would like you to do me a favor. I want you to make an action plan. It sounds like the thoughts of ending it have already begun, but hopefully thoughts of HOW to end it haven't set in yet.

Please, please, please pack an overnight bag, and put an action plan into place for when the HOW thoughts set in. Don't be afraid to call emergency responders if you find yourself in danger of losing the battle with your thoughts.

Your family does not define who you are. The darkness does not define who you are. Actually, the darkness is definitely NOT who you are. Your body is trying to tell you that the darkness is not who you are. The emptiness is your body's way of telling you that the feelings you're having aren't a part of you.

I want you to know that even though I don't know you personally, I am your brother and friend. We are comrades of a common battle. The sorrow is weak, and one of the weapons it uses is to convince you that you are weak. DON'T LISTEN TO IT!

I love you dude, I really do. Your life is priceless. These statements are not hollow clichés, I really do mean them from the very center of my being.

Please don't make any decisions while you're down; wait and give it time. Get into see your family doctor, and he/she can refer you to someone who will be able to help you with either counseling or medication. There is NO shame in admitting that you can't conquer it alone. But I promise you my friend, that it can indeed be conquered.

Breathe.
Stuart

PS. A song that helps me sometimes is Simon and Garfunkels song "Feelin' Groovy." Find yourself something that brings a bit of brightness, and cling to it. Also do your best to avoid negativity. You'll get through this: one day at a time.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski