Some questions from Sweden.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_ChrisB
_Emeritus

Post by _ChrisB »

Jersey Girl wrote:Chris,

Would you mind telling us how old you are and what your days are like right now? How you spend your time?

Jersey Girl

I'm 20 years old, working as a sound technician in a music studio, and also plays in a band, quite recognized here in Sweden, so my days consists mostly of producing songs, rehearsal with the band or laying at home.

in otherwords, nothing exciting.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

ChrisB wrote:

Would you mind telling us how old you are and what your days are like right now? How you spend your time?

Jersey Girl

I'm 20 years old, working as a sound technician in a music studio, and also plays in a band, quite recognized here in Sweden, so my days consists mostly of producing songs, rehearsal with the band or laying at home.

Ah, thanks! Do you write the music?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_ChrisB
_Emeritus

Post by _ChrisB »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Thanks for the nice comment, and I'm sorry to hear about your mental issues.
Right now everything feels really empty, i mean, i don't even have a family!! Everybodys gone, the remaining of my relatives lives spread out across U.S, and i live in a small apartment all by my self, i want to seek help, but without my family, i'm nothing.

I hope things work out, but right now darkness surrounds me.

My battles with noggin' have actually made me a stronger person, and appreciate life a lot more. You're comment that "[you] hope things work out" has a lot of power in it. You still have hope, and that is a powerful thing.

I know that you don't know me at all, and really have no reason to listen to some anonymous person on a message board, but I would like you to do me a favor. I want you to make an action plan. It sounds like the thoughts of ending it have already begun, but hopefully thoughts of HOW to end it haven't set in yet.

Please, please, please pack an overnight bag, and put an action plan into place for when the HOW thoughts set in. Don't be afraid to call emergency responders if you find yourself in danger of losing the battle with your thoughts.

Your family does not define who you are. The darkness does not define who you are. Actually, the darkness is definitely NOT who you are. Your body is trying to tell you that the darkness is not who you are. The emptiness is your body's way of telling you that the feelings you're having aren't a part of you.

I want you to know that even though I don't know you personally, I am your brother and friend. We are comrades of a common battle. The sorrow is weak, and one of the weapons it uses is to convince you that you are weak. DON'T LISTEN TO IT!

I love you dude, I really do. Your life is priceless. These statements are not hollow clichés, I really do mean them from the very center of my being.

Please don't make any decisions while you're down; wait and give it time. Get into see your family doctor, and he/she can refer you to someone who will be able to help you with either counseling or medication. There is NO shame in admitting that you can't conquer it alone. But I promise you my friend, that it can indeed be conquered.

Breathe.
Stuart

PS. A song that helps me sometimes is Simon and Garfunkels song "Feelin' Groovy." Find yourself something that brings a bit of brightness, and cling to it. Also do your best to avoid negativity. You'll get through this: one day at a time.

Stuart, i can't describe how remarkable of a change just what you wrote made, by that i'm not saying i'm "cured" but i appreciate your concerns, and it fills me up with warmth.
I don't know why, but my mood kind of switches back and forth, and right now while i'm feeling a tiny bit better, i will try to seek some help, i have this feeling that i want to end it all, but still i don't. One thing i feel i'm missing is someone who shows me their love, and it's been a looooooong time.

I have since the tragic incident with the tsunami spoken to some of my relatives in U.S and they obviously wants me there with them, i just can't finance it, and the last couple of months i've been more or less just in a fog, and the only thing on my mind has been ; why did this happened to me? we had a great family, and i loved them from the bottom of my heart, and i see other families and i start to cry. I see lovers and i start to cry.

Once again, thank you for the warming words Stuart, you made my day just a little bit brighter.

Ps. I love that song

/Chris
_ChrisB
_Emeritus

Post by _ChrisB »

Jersey Girl wrote:
ChrisB wrote:

Jersey Girl

Ah, thanks! Do you write the music?

Jersey Girl

I write the lyrics, and the two guitarists writes the other stuff.

By the way, I have some lyrics describing how i feel/have been feeling.

"Through a black mass of drifting thoughts, my eyes rejects for it to see, crawl beneath the threatening sphere, I don't know where to go, I gotta get my self free, and in this desolate place i vague in my remoting mind, I have no fear, but it seems that everything
is left to be.
The dark side of me was dragging me down, I never reached the ground
What have I've become, I have no thoughts nor aim to find, my mind just stretched and reached the outer end, my pride became a silent cry for help, my life began as a sacrifice.
I'm slowly being blinded, a feeling inside i cannot comprehend"
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Chris,

How did your life begin as a sacrifice?

Jersey Girl
Chinese Proverb
_ChrisB
_Emeritus

Post by _ChrisB »

It's kind of a metaphor, meaning that my life is something that was sacrificed for the sake of someone else, kind of like when people sacrifice a goat to cherish their god or something like that, and i was born as a sacrifice to something else, i didn't have the ability to choose my life, it just happened, and now i'm having a bunch of troubles.

That got kind of blurry, the explanation is in my head, just can't get it out, basically saying that i wish i was never born.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Chris,

I won't take up much more of your time right now, I know it must be getting late where you are. I understand not being able to put things into words, especially if you're suffering depression which you likely are.

I've been watching this thread for the last hour or so and am amazed how someone could have randomly found a board like this (how did you find us?) and already connected with someone who can relate to what you're experiencing...Dr. Steuss.

I think he gave you excellent advice, especially about visiting the doctor. For the next few hours if you're still up (you might have insomnia with the depression) do you mind if I suggest that you try reading some of the discussions here in this forum and in the Terrestrial Forum, and see what you think about it?

You asked a question in your opening post that I think others could answer if you post it in the Terrestrial Forum.

Why not try it?

Jersey Girl
Chinese Proverb
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

To get back to your original post ChrisB, a question if I may:

Have you been baptized Mormon or have you been taking the discussions with missionaries?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

ChrisB wrote:Stuart, i can't describe how remarkable of a change just what you wrote made, by that i'm not saying i'm "cured" but i appreciate your concerns, and it fills me up with warmth.

Sometimes we just need to know that we’re not alone. And you are definitely not alone. Just try to remember that warmth in case it fades (which it might), and know that it can return.
I don't know why, but my mood kind of switches back and forth, and right now while i'm feeling a tiny bit better, i will try to seek some help, i have this feeling that i want to end it all, but still i don't. One thing i feel i'm missing is someone who shows me their love, and it's been a looooooong time.

You might be bipolar. You don't necessarily have to have "manias" to have BP. I'm BP type II (I have mood swings, but they generally cycle between crap, and super-crap). It's important to make your decisions while you’re “up.” When “down,” thought processes can be a bit tainted. I'm glad that you still have that thread of hope that makes you not want to end it, it is an important thing, and as far as threads are concerned, it can sustain quite a bit of weight. Are you missing the love of family, or more of romantic love? (You don't have to answer that if it's too personal). If it's the love of family you miss... here's some for you: As your brother, I want you to know that I love you (or, from a non-theological standpoint, I'm not your brother, but I'm still probably your 1,857th cousin twice removed... or something like that). Seriously though dude, I really do feel for what you're going through right now, and I'm on the sidelines cheering you on because I know you'll make it.
I have since the tragic incident with the tsunami spoken to some of my relatives in U.S and they obviously wants me there with them, i just can't finance it, and the last couple of months i've been more or less just in a fog, and the only thing on my mind has been ; why did this happened to me? we had a great family, and i loved them from the bottom of my heart, and i see other families and i start to cry. I see lovers and i start to cry.

You can't finance it now, but that doesn't meen that you'll never be able to. Right now your thought processes are probably having a hard time seeing a future, and when you can see a future, it probably looks exactly like the present (which can be pretty damn depressing... I know). Sometimes crap happens in life. Whether it's G-d, nature, Darwin, etc. doesn't change the fact that it does happen.
Do you dwell on "if only" a lot (i.e. If only I had done this, or If only I could have said this, etc.)? The reason I ask, is because when I get down, I do this a lot, and it can be really destructive. The past is past my friend; no amount of worrying or fretting can change it... but the future has no choice but to obey you. Right now you're riding on the wings of tomorrow's memories; try to make the best of it.
Once again, thank you for the warming words Stuart, you made my day just a little bit brighter.

I didn't make your day brighter... you did. You're stronger than you realize brother, as the fog lifts, you'll see it more.
Ps. I love that song

Ever listen to Leonard Cohen?

"Through a black mass of drifting thoughts, my eyes rejects for it to see, crawl beneath the threatening sphere, I don't know where to go, I gotta get my self free, and in this desolate place i vague in my remoting mind, I have no fear, but it seems that everything
is left to be.
The dark side of me was dragging me down, I never reached the ground
What have I've become, I have no thoughts nor aim to find, my mind just stretched and reached the outer end, my pride became a silent cry for help, my life began as a sacrifice.
I'm slowly being blinded, a feeling inside i cannot comprehend"

Keep writing, it's a good release for the emotions. It can also help sometimes to see them outside of yourself. This kind of reminded me of one of Shakespeare's sonnets (#29):
When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf Heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least:
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee,--and then my state
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings'.

That line: "The dark side of me was dragging me down, I never reached the ground" rings so true. Sometimes it feels like there is no limit of how far the darkness can take you. This is a little poem I wrote when I was hospitalized around the age of 23:

Like a mild abrasion with no scar to prove the pain
I’m drowning in water, and I’m praying for rain
Like a burnt effigy whose likeness is unknown
Sitting… waiting… contemplating… better off alone.

I hope the sun found its way through the blinds today for you.

-Stuart
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Bump looking for ChristB
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07