MY OWN PERSONAL MIRACLE

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Z
_Emeritus

Re: Who or what do you think is responsible for the healing?

Post by _Z »

Ezias wrote:Miracalous healings are a very interesting subject. I have made it a hobby to study various religions and their seem to be miracles in all of them. Latter-day Saints attibute it to the power of the priesthood, but what about the healings that take place when no priesthood is involved? Is it just God's will that a person be healed? If that is so, then what is the point of a blessing if God was going to heal them anyway?

Is it the faith of the person or people participating in the healing (the scriptures say it is by faith miracles happen, priesthood or not)? Or, is it all just pure random luck?

Does anybody have any personal examples of miracles that can not be attributed to luck? How about miracles that are directly related to the priesthood, as well as miracles that do not involve priesthood?

Hey I know this thread is kind of dying but I just wanted to share one of my experiences that I can't really attribute to luck. Its not a healing but I guerss it could be called a miracle, or a spiritual prompting. Its not a big deal, just a small one. I studied biology and physiology heavily so I've often wondered if my feelings of the spirit aren't just brain chemistry. But I always look back on this experience of an example of spiritual promptings that I can't explain any other way.

So one sunday when I was 16 I was parking in the church parking lot. It was literally like a week after I had gotten my license and I was still pretty bad at parking in crowded parking lots. But on this particular instance I pulled in perfectly. I was quite pleased and was just starting to get out of the car when I felt a very very strong feeling that I should back up the car. I ignored it and started to get out of the car. I am not exaggerating when I say it was like moving through molasses. It was really bizarre. In fact I said "What the crap?!" And sat back down in my seat. I tried again and was pushing as hard as I could and got out of the car but it was like I was being pulled back in! And I still felt really inexplicably uncomfortable with where the car was.

So I just gave up and restarted the car. I backed up to the place that it seemed like it should be. When I parked it in place the front of the car was about 3 feet back from the curb and the end was sticking out into the lot. It was crazy but the strong feeling was now gone and I was uninhibited as I got out of the car.

For whatever reason it didn't cross my mind that this might be a spiritual prompting and I honestly thought that I was probably becoming obsessive compulsive. I'm not a superstitious person in any way, in fact, especially in those days, I prided myself on my cold rationality and tended to scoff at most people's spiritual experiences.

So halfway through church someone comes and tells me that someone hit my car. And I thought, "great, the back of my car was sticking out because I'm crazy and now someone hit it." But what had happened is a 90 year old man thought his car was in reverse when it was in drive and he shot over a barrier and his car landed on my hood. The parking lot is designed in a weird multi-leveled way that would be really hard to describe but you'll just have to trust me when I say that had the car been any farther forward than it was, the mechanics of the crash would have been changed such that it would have been a much more jarring crash for him.

I'm not saying he would have died or anything, I don't know. But he was in his 90's.

Anyway, I still didn't put two and two together until later on that night and I can't think of any other explination for the events other than spiritual ones. That or I'm psychic. But I've never had a spiritual prompting that strong since and I've never felt weird about the way my car was parked, and no one has ever since hit my car in any similar manner. And no, I don't have any mental or emotional conditions.

I realize that there is still a remote possibility that something I had eaten or accidentally inhaled caused some type of brain malfunction on preciisely the day that I would be hit, that also happened to direct me to act in such a way that would minimize the damage. But then we're running up against occam's razor here. The probability of that occuring only that one time on that particular day is astronomical. I'm not saying it came because I'm Mormon, I'm not saying it came because I'm righteous in any way, or because I hold the preisthood in the LDS church. So its not really an evidence for the church, only for the existence of some type of spiritual force.

Anyway, that was longer than I meant it to be. If anyone can think of another explination, let me know. I'd be interested to hear it.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

I've been avoiding this thread for some time now because, though my faith has been destroyed on many level this past 2 years, I've been privy to many miracles all of my life.

A couple of years ago I was speeding on the freeway to work, not taking any chances but passing cars when the opportunity arose. I felt like I ought to back off. The impression was strong enough so I backed off. A few miles further I witnessed a younger woman roll her old blazer end over end after sliding sideways through traffic. It was close enough to where I was the first on the scene to render aid and even call it in.

I've healed and been healed. I've seen things in my minds eye of specific injuries while blessing - probably what the GA's would categorize as sacred things not to discuss (because I've never heard much about it). I thought I've felt impressed to administer blessings from God that specifically seemed to fill the room with peace, comfort and love. I cast some bad external thoughts out one time. Quite honestly, I thought most Mormons experienced a life of such things.

Then there was that one time where I felt impressed to promise something that I suppose, required greater faith than most people have, and it never happened. Till this time I had only been afraid once to promise or command something that came to my impressions. That shook my faith. I felt like God hung me out on that one because I did nothing different from the many others. I never have felt peace about that one.

Regardless, my life has been full of enough miracles to know I'm not beside myself. I'm just not quite sure who, what or even why anymore. So I've backed off of all that until I can get some pallet able answers.

I welcome your thoughts on this matter.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Then there was that one time where I felt impressed to promise something that I suppose, required greater faith than most people have, and it never happened. Till this time I had only been afraid once to promise or command something that came to my impressions. That shook my faith. I felt like God hung me out on that one because I did nothing different from the many others. I never have felt peace about that one.

You did what was asked of you. You were in the right to excercise your priesthood. Why God chose not to bring about the miricle is anyones guess, but you should not stop excerciseing your priesthood.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Gazelam wrote:
You did what was asked of you. You were in the right to excercise your priesthood. Why God chose not to bring about the miricle is anyones guess, but you should not stop excerciseing your priesthood.

I prophesied to myself that you would say that, Gaz. Your answers are so amazingly predictable to me it's as if we have some cosmic Vulcan mind melt. By the way, I realize I've been really giving you some jabs. I hope you're not taking them too personally. I do know that you mean well.

I'd like to attempt to get past the "anyones guess" and the " but you should not stop" stage of intellectual discussion.

I won't be specific concerning this particular healing blessing, but in the long run it has negatively affected the friend receiving and my wife that witnessed it. It made me look like someone that I am not. I would never say what I did if I had not had so many previous experiences. I came to the conclusion that in spite of the many others experiences, God simply became a God of confusion to me and I could not trust him enough to permit me to be his conduit until I got some peace and explanation. It's not too much to ask.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I would suggest that you spens alot of time in prayer asking for understanding as to what hapened. Kneel and offer vocal prayer and give God plenty of space and time to answer you.

And don't stop praying regularly until you do get an answer. Your entitled to it.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Gazelam wrote:I would suggest that you spens alot of time in prayer asking for understanding as to what hapened. Kneel and offer vocal prayer and give God plenty of space and time to answer you.

And don't stop praying regularly until you do get an answer. Your entitled to it.

That sounds like a better idea than what I've been doing. All this time I thought maybe standing on one leg asking the spirit of Elvis for a Pez dispenser would do it.

Yes, I do feel entitled to it.