Plural Families

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Re: Inconceivable

Post by _Inconceivable »

Gazelam wrote:
Inconceivable wrote:
Gazelam wrote:If I remember correctly its in the Book Temple and Cosmos, which is on the other end of the house. One of these days I'll start my reading of the boards in the Celestial kingdom instead of the lower kingdoms and I'll copy it for you to read. I believe its found in the Slavinic translation of the Book of Abraham.

?

The reflection of swamp gas off a weatherballoon obscurred my understanding of the above note. Can you rephrase?

Werent you asking me about the Nibley Quote and where I got it from?

My comment is more of an observation of how the view of religeous history through the eyes of a TBM are skewed by the mandates of current doctrine.

Kind of a beam in the eye thing.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Gazelam wrote:"Behold, this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

This is how God spends his time. If we are to dwell in the Celestial Kingdom, that is how we will spend our time. We, like God, as Gods, will know all things and have all power.

If all are one in this enviorment, working towards the same goal, Is there a great deal of need to have a close intimate relationship in a place where there are no secrets and all are one?

Maybe I'm taking this in a wrong direction, but I don't think we have the ability to separate ourselves from what we know now as a close relationship, and compare it to what we will know there.

If that is the case, though, Gaz, then what is the need for marriage at all? The traditional Evangelical view is that we will all dwell in heaven as brothers and sisters.

If what you are saying is that we are all one...and I know that you are speaking of one in purpose...Then why the need to pair off at all?

I'm really trying to understand your perception here.
_twinkie
_Emeritus

consider this

Post by _twinkie »

I got to thinking about Polygamy and Celestial Marriage and all that. Forgive me if I am way off base please.
Considering that the birthrate ratio of Male to Female appears to be more males than females (current, and I checked some information on the 1840 census, and I would suspect historically), how could Polygamy even WORK? Given that information, I imagine a Celestial kingdom of a few men with many wives, and a bunch of other dudes with NO wives sitting around twiddling their thumbs... In that case it is not possible for EVERY man to attain the Celestial kingdom because God just didn't create enough wives to go around. Why would God make it impossible for everyone to make it?

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fa ... os/us.html
Sex ratio:
at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female
under 15 years: 1.05 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 0.72 male(s)/female
total population: 0.97 male(s)/female (2006 est.)
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Liz

Post by _Gazelam »

I am still trying to work it out in my own mind, but let me try to get my train of thought across...

A righteous family inherits all that the Father has (Rev. 21:7) and receives their exaltation as a family and is then set apart to their own place to continue the endless work of exaltation throughout the eternities. Together they are Gods and know all things and all things are before them.

Their work and their glory will be to exalt all those intelligences that exist, as far as they are willing to receive further light and truth and apply it. In this atmosphere there is no selfish desire, there cannot be. All that is ever wanted is at hand, and all that is desired by those that are there is the exaltaion of others. Where is there room here for concerns regarding who gets to spend the most time with the Male?

Also, all those who are Gods are sealed to one another. This sealing carries on into the eternities. Husband and Wife remain.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Mister Scratch wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:I
think the fact that the "other way exits" provides much wiggle room. It is much easier to have sexual gratification by having many sexual partners/girlfriends/mistresses than to be plurally married. Obviously sexual gratification, which seems to be the primary antiMormon logic, is not the reason for plural marriage.

This is an excellent point, and one that has always intrigued me re the more liberal anti-Mormon critics. Since, in essence, the crux of the sexual revolution was the ennoblement and glorification of serial monogamy over monogamy and traditional concepts of chastity, I've always found it a bit odd that liberal critics of plural marriage would be so exercised about the practice, given that polygamy, is, from a purely behavioral perspective, cutting to the chase.

This isn't correct. The "crux of the sexual revolution" was to free up choices about sex from the rigid template laid out by the religious right. The religious right describes a sexual world that consists entirely of married men and women having sex in the missionary position. The real "crux of the sexual revolution" was to point out that there is a whole marvelous, beautiful, exotic, diverse, exciting world out there beyond the Church-prescribed method of sex. The neat little trick performed by religion (as anyone who has read Foucault will know) is to not only regulate sex, but to regulate discussion of it. This becomes transparently obvious when one
reads the recent fittingly named MADposts by juliann & et. al. Orwell was prescient indeed.

Actually, the crux of the sexual revolution was an antinomian revolt against the general Judeo/Christian moral template per se. It was an attempt to legitimate a pansexual hedonism (combined with neo-primitivist, neo-Pantheist attitudes and beliefs about nature) that recalled practices and attitudes common in certain Pagan cultures of the past but that had been dormant or submerged in western Christian culture for centuries. What we really had, beginning in the late Sixties, was a eclectic revival of the decadent popular Pagan fertility cults of the ancient world, complete both with the worship of sexual pleasure and human sacrifice (convenience abortion) to ensure the continuation of the material life and circumstances that allow such worship (and to circumvent the consequences of some of the practices attendant to such worship of the self).

The sexual revolution was as much an upsurge of an antinomian, anti-western, Dionysian animus toward Judeo/Christian norms of behavior as it was an "anti-industrial revolution", as Ayn Rand termed it.

It was the beginning of the end of western civilization, and the prelude to the Second Coming of Christ, the only thing that will preempt the full devolution into chaos of the entire planet and all of its peoples as these ideologies continue to metastasize throughout the various nations and peoples of the earth. There are other Satanic philosophies connected with the Great and Abominable Church of course, all of them destructive and malignant, but the "sexual revolution", really just a cyclic rebirth of certain older Pagan sexual attitudes, is one of the most profound and imposing in its effects upon the culture.