Where Spirits really came from.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Where Spirits really came from.

Post by _grampa75 »

It is taught in the LDS religion that we may be able to bear spirit children once we aspire to the Celestial Kingdom of heaven. I believe the teaching to be true, however, I don't believe the interpretation that most have of the spirit birth. I would like to quote something from the book, "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith" found on pages 352-354.
And I will quote this from memory as I don't have the book in front of me, so you might want to check up on my memory. And it is only one part of this teaching that I would like to utilize.

I liken a spirit like unto the ring on my finger, because it has no beginning and no end. If I were to cut it in two, then it would have a beginning but then it would also have an end. Join them again and they become one eternal round. All the fools, and learned, and wise men, who have taught since the beginning of creation, that say a spirit has a beginning must also teach that it has an ending. And if that doctrine is true then the doctrine of annihilation would be true, but if I am right, I might with boldness proclaim from the house-tops that God never had the power to create the spirit of man at all. God could not create his own spirit self. Intelligence is spirit and exists upon a self-existant principle and there is no creation about it. All the minds and spirits that God ever sent into the world are susceptible of enlargment. In the beginning all men were co-equal with God.

We have been taught in the Church that when and if we aspire to the Celestial Kingdom of heaven we may have spirit children born to us. Like I said, that teaching is true. Let me write some verses that claim, in my opinion, that for every world there will be a new Savior. We already know in the Book of Moses that every world has a new Adam and a new Eve.

St. John 5: 19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them,Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20. For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
21. For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them: even so the Son quickeneth whom he will:

As you may see here, apparently the Father also was a Savior on some other earth, since HE raised the dead and made them immortal or quickened.

Another note out of the Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith that only clarifies the teaching of Saint John.

(By memory again so check up on me)What did Jesus say? (Mark it Elder Rigdon) The scriptures inform us that Jesus said, As the Father hath power in Himself,even so hath the Son power----to do what? Why, what the Father did. The answer is obvious----in a manner to lay down His body and take it up again. Jesus, what are you going to do? To lay down my life as my Father did, and take it up again. Do you believe it? If you do not believe it, you do not believe the Bible. The Scriptures say it, and I defy all the learning and wisdom and all the combined powers of earth and hell together to refute it.

Since it appears that Christs' Father also was a Savior and raised the dead after laying down his life, and we are all capable of have spirit children born to us. Then let me ask you if the thought ever entered into the deepest recesses of your visceral that the God you may become might just require you to suffer, bleed, and die, on some distant Calvary, yet to be created.

Tell me if that is how we will be able to have spirit children born to us as Christ had spirit children born to him in this next verse.

Ether 3: 14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son, In me shall all mankind have life and that eternally. Even they who believe on my name shall become my sons and my daughters.

We are told that there is no space in which there is no intelligence and no end to intelligence. So if the work of God is to create bodies of flesh and bone through procreation not creation since the Adam of the first earth was the only Adam ever created from the elements of the earth, which makes every person on every earth directly related to the God of the first earth. That just may be why we call God, "Our Father which art in Heaven."

Thus you have the only spirit birth. Jesus Christ is the Son of God to the entire world, except to those who have taken on the covenant to be his son or his daughter in the waters of Babtism, and then to us He is the Father God.

Let me know what you think.

grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

grampa75 wrote:
I liken a spirit like unto the ring on my finger, because it has no beginning and no end. If I were to cut it in two, then it would have a beginning but then it would also have an end. Join them again and they become one eternal round. All the fools, and learned, and wise men, who have taught since the beginning of creation, that say a spirit has a beginning must also teach that it has an ending.

This simply is not true. The positive integers have a beginning but they do not have an end. Now granted, this is an abstraction and not a material example. However, let's dissect some material examples more closely.

If we look at our existence -- from pre-mortal intelligence to pre-mortal spirit to mortal and finally resurrected being -- you will note that most of our phases have a beginning. You will also note that the resurrected being while having a beginning does not have an end. This is curious and seems to be in direct contradiction to Joseph Smith's example. Same with the fact that my intelligence was clothed with a spiritual body. Those things will not have an end even though they had a beginning.

I do, however, find the ring idea to be interesting. I think it might explain a possibility in which there is no first god, but that we are all connected in an infinitely long circle much like a ring.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO