Bruce Metzger

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Bruce Metzger

Post by _richardMdBorn »

A Tribute to Bruce Metzger

I met Prof. Metzger only a couple of times. All but one were at American Philosophical Society meetings (my dad’s having invented GPS led to him being inducted). In 2001, I had a project at Princeton (the town not the university). I mentioned in the November meeting to Prof. Metzger that I had visited the old cemetery and looked at the inscription for Jonathan Edwards, third president of Princeton, but could not read it. Prof. Metzger said if I ever was back in Princeton to give him a call and he would show me around. The next month, I was back in Princeton and with some trepidation, since I didn’t want to bother him, gave him a call. He showed me around the cemetery and read the inscription. He knew Latin, and I knew the details of Edwards’s life, so we made a good team. He then told me some funny stories. I was sorry to read that he died recently.

I will probably disappear from the MB for while. My proposed book has attracted some interest and I will need to concentrate on it.