Does God threaten illness for lack of missionary service?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I guess I can still be Mormon and hold somewhat different beliefs in that I still believe God has to be fair. I know some would disagree with that, but they're not going to excommunicate me for not agreeing on that, hence I'm still Mormon. I don't feel as close to others in my beliefs as I once did, but I guess we can't agree on everything.

A lady in our ward gave her testimony expressing her faith and love of God. Her daughter has an inoperable brain tumor and was basically just sent home to die recently I was impressed. I probably would have been a little angry and questioned, "Why me? This isn't fair etc." And given Mormon doctrine as some people see it, I wouldn't be able to reconcile it.

I can't find an exact reason why this girl gets a brain tumor and this one lives to be a grandmother. I'm not even sure which one is luckier sometimes. For all I can figure out, things happen by chance. The reasons aren't clear. Maybe God did threaten to smite this young man once again with his epilepsy if he didn't serve a mission, but part of me thinks it's just paranoia. Maybe he would have gotten epilepsy had he gone anyway. Faithful service isn't a vaccination to the pains of life, and from what I see wickedness really doesn't necessarily mean people will suffer on earth. On the contrary, it seems to make life easier, otherwise people wouldn't have a reason to do it.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

I can't find an exact reason why this girl gets a brain tumor and this one lives to be a grandmother. I'm not even sure which one is luckier sometimes. For all I can figure out, things happen by chance. The reasons aren't clear. Maybe God did threaten to smite this young man once again with his epilepsy if he didn't serve a mission, but part of me thinks it's just paranoia. Maybe he would have gotten epilepsy had he gone anyway. Faithful service isn't a vaccination to the pains of life, and from what I see wickedness really doesn't necessarily mean people will suffer on earth. On the contrary, it seems to make life easier, otherwise people wouldn't have a reason to do it. (Bold added)

I think some human-stuff might be by chance/choice. However, i don't think "God"-stuff is by chance or choice... It is by natural laws. Some we understand, others we don't as yet...

"Paranoia", superstition and ignorance all lead humans to believe in a "God" of magic, prejudice, discrimination and conditional love AND hate. Such a "God" could never let the sun and rain freely belong to EVERYONE... Warm regards, Roger
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Gazelam wrote:My wife was diagnosed with MS.

We called on our home teacher, who is a great man, to asist in giving her a blessing to heal her, well during the prayer before the blessing, all of us in the room received a revelation that we should give the blessing, and God would honor it in staying the disease and keeping it at bay, but he would not remove it, and that we should live up to our temple covenants and it would remain at bay.

All of us had that same impression.

Gaz

Out of curiosity, for those of use who are parents on this board, how many of us would withhold, or withdraw, needed succor, or even life saving intervention, from one of our children because one of our other children was not doing what we wanted?

Oh my but God's a swell, loving father.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

guy sajer wrote:Out of curiosity, for those of use who are parents on this board, how many of us would withhold, or withdraw, needed succor, or even life saving intervention, from one of our children because one of our other children was not doing what we wanted?

Oh my but God's a swell, loving father.

What I want to know is, what is Gaz going to do when the disease comes out of remission? Blame his wife? Blame himself?
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

The Nehor wrote:I'm pretty sure the whole hell thing was God's idea.

But in your religion's dogma, there is no hell. Remember?

You've got a burning, fiery hotter than the sun, Heaven. But the only "hell" is saved for those really rotten people. People so bad, they never even lived on earth. Remember?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Bryan Inks wrote:But in your religion's dogma, there is no hell. Remember?

You've got a burning, fiery hotter than the sun, Heaven. But the only "hell" is saved for those really rotten people. People so bad, they never even lived on earth. Remember?

No, hell is talked about all the time. We have the euphemism Spirit Prison we use far too often for my tastes. God throws most of humanity in there until they can be redeemed. If that isn't dedication to your plan I don't know what is.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

No, hell is talked about all the time. We have the euphemism Spirit Prison we use far too often for my tastes. God throws most of humanity in there until they can be redeemed. If that isn't dedication to your plan I don't know what is.

I was unaware that there was progression between kingdoms. Hell is Outer Darkness, the lesser kingdoms or speres of influence are not progressive outside of their boundries.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_dilettante
_Emeritus

Post by _dilettante »

ajax18 wrote:I admit there have been times where I envy those converted late in life. Then I realize what a monster I can be and am glad I probably have a long time to try to excise it.

So you do realize what envy, excerise, and a being a monster have in common?
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

What about that doctrine they started teaching, "The bonds between the parent and child are so strong that if the parents make the Celestial kingdom, the children will as well."

I'm not sure how much agreement there is amongst Mormons on what hell is.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_nomi
_Emeritus

Post by _nomi »

I don't think that God threatens us with deseases. I disagree with Nehor there.I don't remember anyone in the church teaching that. Like I said before, I honestly think that the moral of the story is that if we put the Lord first in our Lives then He in return wil lighten our burdens. In the case of Job, Job did get a spiritual healing and his burdens were made light. That is what Heavenly Father is trying to make us see. I've just lost a dear friend of mine who was diagnosed with Lupus. She had the desease for 9years but her last words were during a Fast and Testimony Sunday. She bore her testimony and told the whole congregation that even though her physical body had lupus but her spiritual being is healed. How she has felt Heavenly Father's love during that nine years. She told us that if it went for God and the gospel she wouldn't have had the strength to face her situation. I feel that sometimes we focus too much on our physical appearance or to things that don't matter spiritually. Losing a loved one is the most painful thing ever, but when you know that the person died in peace, with an assurance of a Love that is pure and kind, that comes from Heavenly Father then you too find peace. She was my best friend but I know that she's in a safe place and that she'was trully healed. She has taught me to look at life in a diffrent way spiritually, to eveluate if I'm building the Kingdom of God by being of service to the Supreme God. I'm not trying to influence people otherwise but this is what I have learned personally through a dear friend.
the coolest chick on the planet