Anti-gays MISREAD Bible...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

liz3564 wrote:
Harmony wrote:Moses killed a man, hid his deed, and ran.

Abraham was not admirable at all. He lied about his wife, setting her up for rape, and was prepared to kill both his sons, one by the knife and one by starvation in the desert. He took his wife's servant to bed, got her pregnant, and then kicked her and his oldest son out of his household into the desert to die.

Jonah was a coward.

Paul hated women.

Perhaps you don't call those characteristics defects.

Great point! :)

What is amazing to me is that the character of these men are never questioned. There is never even any fault found with them on a personal level(I.e..."they were speaking as men, not prophets"...the current "out" for LDS Church leaders). Your statements in most Church settings, whether LDS, Catholic, EV, etc. would be considered blasphemous, even though they are right on the money.

Indeed Harmony, great point. I'm surprised our scholar missed this.

Liz,

The fundies are never going to focus on things like this, because it makes being human seem too glamorous. They want to be "God's chosen", set apart from the rest of the world. But people who truly want to change the world from a Christian perspective talk about things like the above all the time. In what bit I've read (compared to what I want to read before I leave this rock called earth), the point harmony made is made over and over again.

Max Lucado, in a workbook I've been working in pointed out how the lineage of Christ was not all that glamorous.

But again, when you want to be above something or someone, pointing out weaknesses in your system is not the most prudent thing to do.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Moses killed a man, hid his deed, and ran.

Abraham was not admirable at all. He lied about his wife, setting her up for rape, and was prepared to kill both his sons, one by the knife and one by starvation in the desert. He took his wife's servant to bed, got her pregnant, and then kicked her and his oldest son out of his household into the desert to die.

Jonah was a coward.

Paul hated women.

Perhaps you don't call those characteristics defects

Moses was saving a mans life.

Abraham led a near perfect life, and was obedient in all things.

Jonah repented

Paul did not hate women
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

But they still made mistakes. That's the point.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Moses was saving a mans life.

Abraham led a near perfect life, and was obedient in all things.

Jonah repented

Paul did not hate women

Harmony is not reachable through rational discourse nor through appeal to common decency and fairness when dealing with the "ancients" she so despises and fears. She continues to degenerate into ever deeper hatred, bigotry, fear, loathing, and mindless rancor against God, his church, his servants, and his people.

I really don't know what lies at the bottom of this dark pool but its ugly, to be sure.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

They were all God's anointed servants, doing his work. That's the point. A point, unfortunately, that is lost on you as soon as it is spoken. The very idea of people like you and Harmony judging people like Abraham, Moses, and Paul is virtually macabre.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Coggins7 wrote:

They were all God's anointed servants, doing his work. That's the point. A point, unfortunately, that is lost on you as soon as it is spoken. The very idea of people like you and Harmony judging people like Abraham, Moses, and Paul is virtually macabre.

And Coggins judging Harmony & others is........... ???

(Liz)
Harmony wrote:
Moses killed a man, hid his deed, and ran.

Jonah was a coward.

Paul hated women.

Great point! :)

What is amazing to me is that the character of these men are never questioned. There is never even any fault found with them on a personal level(I.e..."they were speaking as men, not prophets"...the current "out" for LDS Church leaders). Your statements in most Church settings, whether LDS, Catholic, EV, etc. would be considered blasphemous, even though they are right on the money.

As Coggins demonstrates by his attack. Leaves me wondering, why... Warm regards, Roger
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

GIMR wrote:If you are a live and let live kind of person, then why focus on this issue and insist that those who do not agree with you don't know the Bible? I'm sorry if my willingness to value my neighbor and let God decide their fates makes me ignorant.
Roger started this thread. I'm responding to him just as I've responded to many other threads he has started which did not concern homosexuality. How does that make me focused on the issue. And where did I state ANYTHING about the fate of homosexuals? I asserted that the act is sinful.

Lets' review some of the threads Roger has started recently:

Fundamentalism... – I responded but the title doesn’t include homosexuality so I suppose I’m allowed to

More on Bible "inerrancy" - I responded but the title doesn’t include homosexuality so I suppose I’m allowed to

Literalism & Virgin birth... - I responded but the title doesn’t include homosexuality so I suppose I’m allowed to

More on Literalism, by Spong - I responded but the title doesn’t include homosexuality so I suppose I’m allowed to

Anti-gays MISREAD Bible... – I responded and according to GIMR that means I’m obsessed by the subject

Homosexuals Honour Spong... – haven’t responded yet. I should, since GIMR thinks I’m obsessed by the subject.

Prayer perspective... – haven’t responded

More on Virgin Birth – didn’t respond – Fortigun probably gave a better answer than I would have

The pattern is that I respond to his arguments against the evangelical position on the Bible, literalism, etc. That includes his argument against homosexuality.
Last edited by Dr Moore on Sat May 19, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

GIMR wrote:If Richard feels his life is made better by judging gays, that's his life. But not everyone is going to agree with him.
Another assumption from the omniscient GIMR.

If when dealing with people close to me, they do something that I feel is wrong or I "do not like", I speak once. If it is something you are doing to harm me, you'd better hope you heard the first time. That's it for me. I don't hound them, and I NEVER use God in the argument. Bad form.
This is an argument over theology. One would think that a person would be allowed to make theological arguments. But apparently that offends GIMR.
Last edited by Dr Moore on Sat May 19, 2007 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Harmony wrote:Moses killed a man, hid his deed, and ran.

Jonah was a coward.

Paul hated women.

On the contrary, while I disagree with your comment about Paul, I’ve heard this very point made many times in sermons. God worked through sinful people and that’s encouraging for us. In fact, I edited a singles newsletter at Moody Memorial Church and I wrote an article on this very point.
27 When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly.
28 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite: 29 "Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son."
I Ki 21
I used this passage in my article. Ahab was a very wicked king, yet God heard him when he repented. In the same way, we should not fear to draw near to God if we are repentant.

Liz
What is amazing to me is that the character of these men are never questioned. There is never even any fault found with them on a personal level
You must be reading different books.
GIMR Indeed Harmony, great point. I'm surprised our scholar missed this.
I assume that this snide comment is directed towards me. Where did I state that the biblical characters were perfect. My theology insists the opposite.
9Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.
11Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.
I Cor 6
The whole point of testimonials is that God saves the ungodly and sinful who repent and believe the good news.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

richardMdBorn wrote:
GIMR wrote:If Richard feels his life is made better by judging gays, that's his life. But not everyone is going to agree with him.
Another assumption from the omniscient GIMR.

If when dealing with people close to me, they do something that I feel is wrong or I "do not like", I speak once. If it is something you are doing to harm me, you'd better hope you heard the first time. That's it for me. I don't hound them, and I NEVER use God in the argument. Bad form.
This is an argument over theology. One would think that a person would be allowed to make theological arguments. But apparently that offends GIMR.

What is the fate of the homosexual in eternity? Because if you answer that they burn in hell if they don't "repent" (become "not gay"), then this is more than just a theological argument, this becomes someone's (indeed, many people's) life.

It's easy to comment on the sinfulness of something, or in some people's (not you) view the sinful origin of a race (black folk = Cain), when it doesn't apply to you. It's easy to disagree when it is not you.

You can make all the theological arguments you want, but that doesn't mean the world has to agree with you, or even fail to contest the soundness thereof.

Yes, I refered to you as "the scholar", because those who do not agree with you on here "don't know" what they're talking about. We've been quite enlightened by you, richard.

And for the record, because you and our little Light in the Darkness are really going to town with this, I do not think you are a raving Stalinist wife-beater, simply because I belive it is legalistic (yeah, I said it again) to condemn gay people using religion. Do you know what it feels like to be gay? Do you care? Again, what do you think happens to gay people who are open when they leave this earth?