Anti-gays MISREAD Bible...

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Richard, it is exactly because my life is not spotless that I ask you to stop trying to judge others in place of God.

Because if we had you to answer to, we'd all be hell-bound. And yes, a gay-gene is relevant. Because if it can be proven that love between two men can be both a choice and a chemical inclination, who the heck are you, based on one book (Philippians 4:8 honey, WHATEVER IS OF GOOD REPORT, you don't seem to look at that), to damn them?

Now quit it with the running around and admit to being a legalist who feels an intrinsic need to judge other groups of people so he can feel special.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

GIMR,
Your missing my point. Think of it this way, outside of religious views, why do couples marry? Outside of religious views, why obey the law of chastity?

If we strive to be like God, then we have to ask what kind of life does God live? What evidence do we have of Gods lifestyle? What has he revealed to us?

Think about what I said concerning Adam and Eve. That was God establishing a pattern for us to follow.

I have no doubt that that couple cared for one another and loved those little girls. But the lifestyle they lived was running counter to what prepares a person for the eternities. The eternities will be filled with those who do not live after the manner of God. Be it because they have decided they do not desire that lifestyle, or because someone taught them to not desire that lifestyle, they will not be part of the creative process.

All will be placed in the eternities where they will be happy, but if they do not dwell with the Father, they will not possess a fulness of happiness. A lifestyle that under normal circumstances is incapable of supporting life is contrary to progress in the eternities.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

GIMR, thank You for what you put into the Universe. It is said, "no thought, word or deed is ever lost." That they go to make up the Universal "Grit Ball" that will either polish-up or wear-down humanity as it evolves/devolves... You my dear Sister are a Polisher of the 1st Order!

Gaz, while i respect your intent, and integrity, i suggest you are dealing less in reality than you are in suppositions. You suppose, think, believe a story meant to impart ideas in a void of information and knowledge that existed in ancient times...

The world is not flat. Earth does not centre the Universe. "God" is not jealous; nor does "He" command slaughter of humans; nor does "He" favour one race, individual, group, creed or gender above another.

IF there is an after-life in a Heaven as defined in the human mind--LDS or otherwise--it is beyond my imagination that prejudice and discrimination will be determinates as to that eternal existance, to which you refer.

Since that is nothing less (more?) than "iffy", then would our thoughts, energy and efforts not be better employed integrating, rather than segragating humanity? Homosexual souls are, as all souls, equal in the sight of "God". Rain and sun are theirs. They are gifted, talented, autistic, physically imparied or endowed as all others. (It is found in studies that in fact, they are more gifted and talented than heteros? Be that as it may.)

Their stigma is attached, not by "God", but by heterosexuals (some). As have all 'stigmas' been edicted when targeted by 'enlightened-righteous-guardians-of-society'.

I respectfully suggest we have more to be concerned about within hetero behaviours than in homosexual lives. Warm regards, Roger
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Roger Morrison wrote:GIMR, thank You for what you put into the Universe. It is said, "no thought, word or deed is ever lost." That they go to make up the Universal "Grit Ball" that will either polish-up or wear-down humanity as it evolves/devolves...

Thank God for all our sakes, that when all is said and done, Grace will triumph over our Karma.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Gazelam wrote:GIMR,
Your missing my point. Think of it this way, outside of religious views, why do couples marry? Outside of religious views, why obey the law of chastity?

If we strive to be like God, then we have to ask what kind of life does God live? What evidence do we have of Gods lifestyle? What has he revealed to us?

Think about what I said concerning Adam and Eve. That was God establishing a pattern for us to follow.

I have no doubt that that couple cared for one another and loved those little girls. But the lifestyle they lived was running counter to what prepares a person for the eternities. The eternities will be filled with those who do not live after the manner of God. Be it because they have decided they do not desire that lifestyle, or because someone taught them to not desire that lifestyle, they will not be part of the creative process.

All will be placed in the eternities where they will be happy, but if they do not dwell with the Father, they will not possess a fulness of happiness. A lifestyle that under normal circumstances is incapable of supporting life is contrary to progress in the eternities.

Gaz

Gaz, people are doing a great deal outside of religion these days. And I respect your beliefs, but not many in this world hold to them, and I don't believe it's because they're lost. It's just that their "lens" is different from yours.

People don't really "wait" until marriage anymore. I wish more did, because sex is really being dumbed down in society. It's a spiritual, transcendent experience, and we're losing touch with that. But the only reason these women couldn't marry is because our laws say so. Crime in the Netherlands, is it more so than here? I went there once, and outside of the fact that the people were kind and highly educated (the cashier switched languages as people progressed in line, we heard German, French, Dutch, and English...how many cashiers here in the U.S. can do that?), they were honest. A man came up to my stepfather and counseled him against keeping his wallet in his back pocket, as there were pickpockets in the area.

This was done outside what my mother told me was a big church for prostitutes and their clients. She could have been funning me, but still....
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

moksha wrote:
Roger Morrison wrote:GIMR, thank You for what you put into the Universe. It is said, "no thought, word or deed is ever lost." That they go to make up the Universal "Grit Ball" that will either polish-up or wear-down humanity as it evolves/devolves...

Thank God for all our sakes, that when all is said and done, Grace will triumph over our Karma.

LOL, Roger! Grit ball is a fun game. You should ask Gaz about it, I told him how it's played.

I think I'm so harsh on issues like this because I want the people who judge the "sinners" to feel the weight and the heat they throw out. You wanna dish it on gay people? Fine, I'll dish it right back on you. You wanna talk about how superior you are, because you "know the Bible", fine. I'll ask you plenty of questions, and you'd better not slip once.

If the milk and the meat are sitting side by side on your table as you sit around and quote Deuteronomy to your kids, telling them how sinful gays are, then you are a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

I just finished my theism in postmodern society paper. I learned a lot, and I think the subject of postmodernism is really relevant here. We had weeks of debate about this in class. I plan to delve deeper. But for now, I'm gonna go eat.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

GIMR wrote:Richard, it is exactly because my life is not spotless that I ask you to stop trying to judge others in place of God.

Because if we had you to answer to, we'd all be hell-bound. And yes, a gay-gene is relevant. Because if it can be proven that love between two men can be both a choice and a chemical inclination, who the heck are you, based on one book (Philippians 4:8 honey, WHATEVER IS OF GOOD REPORT, you don't seem to look at that), to damn them?

Now quit it with the running around and admit to being a legalist who feels an intrinsic need to judge other groups of people so he can feel special.
You don't know me. You feel quite happy condeming me and telling me to shut up. I guess that makes you feel superior. I've said that homosexual acts are sinful. The Bible supports me there. I've made no claim to be superior to anyone.

Does the Bible allow me to say anything about sexual sins? Was Nathan wrong to confront David over his adultery? Geez, LDS have accused me and other similar thinking evangelicals of being libertines because we believe in justification by faith alone. The New Testament teaches that a redeemed person will manifest that in a new life. I agree with the 17C Puritans. They rejected both the legalists (and LDS tend towards that extreme) and the libertines who thought that no change in life was necessary for the redeemed person. I reject your accusation that I'm a legalist. As I wrote above, you don't know me.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

GIMR wrote:
moksha wrote:

LOL, Roger! Grit ball is a fun game. You should ask Gaz about it, I told him how it's played.

I think I'm so harsh on issues like this because I want the people who judge the "sinners" to feel the weight and the heat they throw out. You wanna dish it on gay people? Fine, I'll dish it right back on you. You wanna talk about how superior you are, because you "know the Bible", fine. I'll ask you plenty of questions, and you'd better not slip once.

If the milk and the meat are sitting side by side on your table as you sit around and quote Deuteronomy to your kids, telling them how sinful gays are, then you are a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

I just finished my theism in postmodern society paper. I learned a lot, and I think the subject of postmodernism is really relevant here. We had weeks of debate about this in class. I plan to delve deeper. But for now, I'm gonna go eat.
Please explain your comment about Deuteronomy in light of Acts 15:19-21 and Acts 10-11:18.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

GIMR Because if it can be proven that love between two men can be both a choice and a chemical inclination, who the heck are you, based on one book (Philippians 4:8 honey, WHATEVER IS OF GOOD REPORT, you don't seem to look at that), to damn them?
Where did I base things on one book. Yes, I do meditate on the goodness of God. But Paul wrote many other books in addition to Philippians and to everything there is a time and a place.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

GIMR,

I don't think that richard thinks he's "special" and I don't know why you say that. For some reason you seem to be under the impression that richard is self righteous. My best guess is that richard thinks he is a sinner, just as he thinks those who engage in homosexual activity are sinners. Is he allowed to judge that a behavior is wrong?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb