Book of Mormon

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_nomi
_Emeritus

Book of Mormon

Post by _nomi »

"When the missionaries came to our home, I had the desire to listen to
the message of the Restoration of the gospel. My motivation was mainly
curiosity. Attending church, I heard more new spiritual knowledge. It
was
interesting and I liked it, but I was missing the essential: giving
heed. I
had to build a personal spiritual foundation upon the living reality of
Christ and the confirmation that Joseph Smith was the prophet of the
Restoration. That confirmation came only when I gave heed and tested my
beginning faith in the Book of Mormon, the physical evidence of modern
revelation."
the coolest chick on the planet
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Nomi,

Just because the Book of Mormon has what has been described by some as "a familiar spirit" doesn't necessarily mean that Joseph Smith is or was a prophet.

They do not necessarily have a simbiotic relationship. How it ended up in the hands of a man with such unscrupulous character is beyond my capacity to understand. If he really did translate it, he was quite unfamiliar with it's teachings. If he read it, he did not understand it. His life is riddled with half truths and other lies, immorality and broken laws both civil and criminal that would evidence his failure to yield to it's instruction.

The book speaks out against secret combinations and oaths done in the dark (danites, early practice of poligamy and temple ordinances etc), pride, suppression of speech (destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor), unification between church and state, immorality, poligamy and particulary it's ripple effect, and even money digging.

I've learned many things over the years from the Book of Mormon that have encouraged me to be a more righteous father/husband and an honorable citizen in all of the countries I've been in. It has encouraged me to repent and come unto Christ and be perfected in him, how to recognize and overcome weaknesses and gain a greater understanding of the principles of charity - to be a devoted follower of a kind and loving christ.

- in spite of the preponderance of evidence that it may very well be a fairy tale, I hold many of the principles close to my heart. Although for now, I have taken one step back to try and get a better grip on the entire picture.

I do not take lightly what I am posting. My heart is broken and I have been betrayed by those that I would have gladly given my life for.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Merry
_Emeritus

Post by _Merry »

Inconceivable;

Thank you for that post. As a never-never-NEVER-Mo, I can identify with your feelings.
_nomi
_Emeritus

Post by _nomi »

Hey Inconcievable - I'm sorry that you feel betrayed by those you have given your life for. I'm really am sorry to hear that. I'm not writing this to convince you about Joseph Smith nor the Book of Mormon. Like you said that it has taught you so many things that have helped you to become a good husband, father and citizen. I really love the Book of Mormon. It has taught me a lot and like you it has taught me to be a great young woman in my country as well. It has taught me to make wise choices in life, it has warned me of all the ungodliness of the world and the human character. I respect your feelings about the prophet Joseph Smith, and I have never in my life believed in convincing someone to believe in what I believe in. I truelly believe that Joseph Smith is a prophet, I have heard all things about him and I'm not going to lie to you, there was a time where I started doubting that he was a prophet, and also that the church was true, so one day I decided to just take it to God. I know that He answered my prayer because I'm still at church, serving as a teacher in the YSA and will be sustained this coming Sunday as a teacher in the Young Women. Again I'm not trying to convince you other wise. I respect what you believe and feel about the church. My advice is that take it to God, tell him exactly how you feel and I know that He will never dissapoint you. He, Christ and the Holy Ghost will never dissapoint you but the rest of the human beings that you know in life will dissapoint you one way or another. Hope that someday you will find it in your heart to forgive those that have wronged you and caused you so much heartache.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Thankyou, Nomi. That is very kind of you.

I am in my 40's. I served an honorable mission and fulfilled nearly all of my callings over the past 20+ years. My family (wife and children) remain active. My oldest just returned from his mission. When people ask me why I am "inactive" or no longer participating I tell them that I was offended by members.

I generally won't go into specifics, but I was offended primarilly by the member Joseph Smith. He betrayed the sacred trust between he and his wife by having relations with at least one woman she was unaware of. I do not trust a man that cannot be honest with his spouse regarding matters of fidelity. I place my own convictions no higher than those I would be willing to be led by. I am sickened when I have to bear hearing someone's testimony of such a duplicitous individual.

I would have more likely attempted to slay the angel with the drawn sword than to do such violence to my wife, children and friends.
_nomi
_Emeritus

Post by _nomi »

I understand how hard this might be for you Inconcievable. I'm just glad that you never influenced your family otherwise. For the fact that your wife and children still go to church and that your son just returned from his mission tells me something about you. I'm glad that you respect other people's opinions and beliefs. I think as a parent that is the most important lesson that you can pass to your children, by letting them being individuals & respecting other people's beliefs and views. Well, I hope that someday all will be well and that you will get all the answers you need to be at peace. I know how rude and cold the members of the church can be, my biggest trials came from members as opposed to peole from outside but I came to an understanding that they are also human and imperfect. Like I said I'm not here to change your mind and I really feel that you are a great person. I hope that someday you will get to have a chat with Joseph Smith and say just how you feel. Its evident that you love your family and they love you too. I guess amidst all this, its good to know that you are loved. I'm not hear to judge but to listen and learn too. Hope all goes well with you and your family.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

nomi,

The Book of Mormon seems to teach a multitude of principles that would encourage a peaceable walk. So in my limited understanding as a finite thinking individual I can appreciate it's intrinsic value.

To describe Joseph Smith as simply an imperfect man is to make the implication that his intensions were influenced by righteous principles. If I were to act as he did, my behavior would be described at best as troubling.

No current living leader in his right mind could even recommend him for baptism in his own church.

(edited for clarity)