Where would we be....

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Where would we be....

Post by _Sam Harris »

....as a society if people were encouraged from early on to seek out their own religious path?

I think it was PP who said (and if it wasn't, please correct me) that kids and teens don't really know what their beliefs are. I agree.

I want to raise my kids in a Christian home, but if they choose another religious path, I know that my half of the equation (don't know about Dad) will be ok with it. And that's the same if one or more of my children to be should come out to me. I just can't see myself tearing up my happy home over these things.

But then again....

We have JWs in my family, Muslims, my younger brother's mom was Catholic, I used to be the token Mormon, one half of the family is Jewish, the other Southern Baptist and other forms of fundamentalist Protestantism.

I'm used to comparing and contrasting religion. I did it from age 8 and up, when I went to church both saturday and sunday.

I want my kids to be good world citizens, but I also want them to grow up to test what I teach them.

What think you? How different would our society be if we emphasized the value of the journey instead of the vehicle. And for the record I'm not talking about "allowing rampant sin", so resident fundies, step off the box now. I'm simply talking about being comfortable with different belief systems.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_dilettante
_Emeritus

Re: Where would we be....

Post by _dilettante »

GIMR wrote:I want to raise my kids in a Christian home

You gave it away already!
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Pardon?

I think there were a few sentences after that.

There are many who raise their kids having what they wished the could have had, hell two parents in the home would be a dream for me as far as my kids. But you still have to let them go, let them think.

Any other contributions, dilettante? I was hoping for a little dialogue, but perhaps I'll have to wait until tomorrow?
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_dilettante
_Emeritus

Post by _dilettante »

GIMR wrote:Pardon?

I think there were a few sentences after that.

There are many who raise their kids having what they wished the could have had, hell two parents in the home would be a dream for me as far as my kids. But you still have to let them go, let them think.

Any other contributions, dilettante? I was hoping for a little dialogue, but perhaps I'll have to wait until tomorrow?

How you teach your children is all up to you. Whether you teach them values or whether you teach them to screw their fellow human has nothing whatsover to do with Christ. It's up to you.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

THANK YOU for your input. You could have said that the first time, but perhaps the word "Christ" made you pause for a second and not look at the rest of my post. I understand that the stupidity, evil, and downright viciousness done in the above name can make a person do that. I do not blame you. Which is why I said:

"I want my kids to be good world citizens, but I also want them to grow up to test what I teach them."

Christianity is my vehicle. It's undergoing some minor "repairs", as I reject many of the behaviors of mainstream Christians today, especially in the EV circuit, of which I am part. It need not be my children's vehicle for life, but I will take them in my vehicle when they are young, and when they get to the point of wanting to navigate for themselves, I will gladly let them go where they will.
_dilettante
_Emeritus

Post by _dilettante »

GIMR wrote:I understand that the stupidity, evil, and downright viciousness done in the above name can make a person do that. I do not blame you.

Oh, thank you for your not so kind words.

GIMR wrote:Christianity is my vehicle. It's undergoing some minor "repairs", as I reject many of the behaviors of mainstream Christians today, especially in the EV circuit, of which I am part. It need not be my children's vehicle for life, but I will take them in my vehicle when they are young, and when they get to the point of wanting to navigate for themselves, I will gladly let them go where they will.

I can agree with you for wanting to "navigate" them, but I hope you will help guide them.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

LOL! Another smug rookie, so have you made your final verdict yet?

Or are you actually gonna dialogue?

*sigh* I see I'm gonna have to wait for the possibility of the longer-term residents.

The truth is not always kind.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Dilettante, are you actually going to say what YOU think the world would be like if the situation I proposed were reality, or are you going to continue to try to parry with me using one-liners?

I really would like to know what your opinion of the question is. If you don't have one, then don't bother. If you ultimately don't care, then so be it.
_dilettante
_Emeritus

Post by _dilettante »

GIMR wrote:Dilettante, are you actually going to say what YOU think the world would be like if the situation I proposed were reality, or are you going to continue to try to parry with me using one-liners?

I really would like to know what your opinion of the question is. If you don't have one, then don't bother. If you ultimately don't care, then so be it.

Actually, I thought I did give you my opinion, but I think I am becoming the butt of your ridicule. My opinion is that you should not force your children into your world view. If you would rather pick a fight, I think there are other forums that you would prefer.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

GIMR, I completely agree with choosing your own religious path. Even once chosen it should come up for periodic monitoring and evaluation and once a religious path is chosen, one does not have to take everything off the rack either. You should be able to pick and choose in order to custom tailor exactly what you want. Religion tends not to ride up with wear, so making your own fit is sometimes crucial for your wellbeing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace