Church: what can draw us in and drive us away?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Church: what can draw us in and drive us away?

Post by _Who Knows »

Seven wrote:If God came to you and revealed that you were wrong, and Joseph Smith was a true Prophet, would that bring you right back to church and in full support of the leadership today?

Yeah, I definitely would. For sure. Who wouldn't want to create planets? Sounds pretty cool.

If you look at the history of good men and women who left the church after claiming to be actual witnesses to the validity of Joseph Smith's prophetic claims, I don't believe it's that easy or they would have stayed.

eh. To me, that actually says more about the validity of their spiritual witnesses than anything else.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

I've mentioned in a few other posts how I feel about angels with swords and how it relates to God's plan and Satan's. It just seems like in Mormonism, they found a way to team up.

"no man has done more than Jesus only.." I beg to differ. Nobody ever made Jesus do anything. And the last thing they did was run Him through. Drawing parallels between these two is quite a stretch - like pulling your underware from behind and over your head.

Now, If Jesus had a plan, I would be leaning toward just watching and trying to do what he did.
_twinkie
_Emeritus

Post by _twinkie »

Miss Taken wrote:
I don't think this problem is even confined to religion. I know my son is developing some 'sexist' ideas about women and seems to respond better in school to male teachers. Which is a pity, since most of them in primary schools tend to be female.

Mary

I know many young males that have not been exposed to Mormonism or ANY religion and still have a problem with female authority figures. I think it is our society in general- Even innocent comments made to a young boy, "Wait till your father gets home!" may chip away at the mother's (or female) authority.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Who Knows wrote:
The Nehor wrote:I don't expect to have more than one wife.

Well, then you won't be a 'deity' I guess. That's cool, you can hang with the rest of us satan worshippers in the tel. kingdom.

Well, if it's mandatory I'll suck it up and do it.

If not, I'll figure something.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The Nehor wrote:
Who Knows wrote:
The Nehor wrote:I don't expect to have more than one wife.

Well, then you won't be a 'deity' I guess. That's cool, you can hang with the rest of us satan worshippers in the tel. kingdom.

Well, if it's mandatory I'll suck it up and do it.

If not, I'll figure something.

I suspect that most Mormon males do not worry about this. Could be that whoever made this up was letting some other part of his anatomy, other than his brain, guide this doctrine. Most are indded comfortable to take this wait and see approach.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

The Nehor wrote:
Who Knows wrote:And who's going to worship her?

Our children I assume.....that and the cosmos itself of course.

Wrong answer. The correct answer is: me.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

harmony wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Who Knows wrote:And who's going to worship her?

Our children I assume.....that and the cosmos itself of course.

Wrong answer. The correct answer is: me.

I know a woman whose husband worships her. She's royally sick of it.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Dakotah
_Emeritus

Post by _Dakotah »

What can draw us in? A belief that the basics of the Gospel of Jesus Christ are at the core of its teachings.

What can drive us away? The members. The leadership. The intolerance of any questions.
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

I'm still in, but I feel like I'm being driven away due to boredom and not learning anything new that uplifts me or inspires me. Same topics, same answers, same callings. Busy busy busy, but bored out of my mind. Its like keeping people safely asleep in the matrix while the real world is happening somewhere else.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”