Church: what can draw us in and drive us away?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Church: what can draw us in and drive us away?

Post by _moksha »

Below is a quote from Seven, that I thought would be an interesting topic for the Celestial board. There are many ways to understand and appreciate the Church, but there can be many dissatisfiers to cope with and resolve along the way as well. I thought this might be a way of exploring both the ties we can feel toward the Church and as well as the dissatisfiers that can drive us away.

Seven: My reasons for stating I would go back to church have nothing to do with it being "true" in the sense that TBMs believe. I think it holds some truth, but I believe other faiths hold truth as well. I believe the church has evolved to a place where it focuses on basic Christian principles that are good and bring us peace. (some might call that "milk") There is no LDS doctrine or teaching that can't be changed and many have changed with the default position of continuing revelation. So again, activity for me has nothing to do with the church being led by God. It has more to do with fellowshipping with those who share the same morals and principles I believe are from Christ and good for mankind.

For me, there are many parts of the LDS church I love and support but I also realize I don't fit in at all with the members any longer. For me it would be the same as having to fellowship with people who teach wonderful gospel principles but espouse a racist doctrine against blacks and believe they will be our slaves in heaven. (had I been in the church during the time that was taught I would have left over it too) I won't give my money or time to any organization that teaches racist, sexist, immoral doctrines no matter how wonderful everything else is. I know there were many LDS members who were so relieved when the ban was lifted. I don't know how they stayed and supported an organization who taught such racism because I don't believe LDS leaders are receiving continuing revelations. They are doing what they can to mainstream the church to help it grow and become a powerful force for good.

There are also personal family issues that would be resolved if I became active again. My life would be a whole lot easier if I could get rid of my principles (which ironically came from my LDS upbringing) and go back to church.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Church: what can draw us in and drive us away?

Post by _harmony »

if I could get rid of my principles (which ironically came from my LDS upbringing) and go back to church.

Personally I think it's impossible to adhere to all the church's teachings. So many of them contradict each other. Follow the prophet is in direct opposition to gain your own testimony. Never criticize your leaders is in direct opposition to seek first the kingdom of God. One pair of earrings is in direct opposition to seek personal inspiration. The continuing priesthood ban is in direct opposition to God is no respector of persons.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

moksha wrote:Below is a quote from Seven, that I thought would be an interesting topic for the Celestial board. There are many ways to understand and appreciate the Church, but there can be many dissatisfiers to cope with and resolve along the way as well. I thought this might be a way of exploring both the ties we can feel toward the Church and as well as the dissatisfiers that can drive us away.

For me, it's simple. I'd go back if it were true.

I left because it wasn't.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Runtu wrote:
moksha wrote:Below is a quote from Seven, that I thought would be an interesting topic for the Celestial board. There are many ways to understand and appreciate the Church, but there can be many dissatisfiers to cope with and resolve along the way as well. I thought this might be a way of exploring both the ties we can feel toward the Church and as well as the dissatisfiers that can drive us away.

For me, it's simple. I'd go back if it were true.

I left because it wasn't.

I almost agree with Runtu. But not quite.

I left because it wasn't true. But even if it were true, I don't think I'd go back. The Mormon god is such an @Q#$%@$#% that I'd rather go to Outer Darkness than worship him! I can't think of a thing that would make me go back!

KA
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

I think what drew me in was the sense of community. I needed a family, especially so back then. I needed a kind word, I needed people around me who believed in God like I do, who can understand my walk. I needed someone farther along on this journey than I to give me counsel. These things I still need. But the problem came in when I realized that in many cases, the community I had found, the family I thought I had, the kind words, and even the understanding, were all fabricated.

All the warm and fuzzies that I had gotten from this community only went so far as my willingness to adhere to the social strictures. To me, that is not warm and fuzzy at all. You can't truly love me if you only love me to a certain point.

To me, God is a god of unconditional love, and I struggle with people who place limits on others based on their view of God.

On the outside the church looks just fine. Cleaver-esque families, wealth, a sense of purpose. But if you delve deeper, this stuff starts falling apart. Mormons are just like anyone else, but they're (as a church) trying to hold on to this identity that is fading out in society. The 50s are gone, people talk about their issues now, and admitting to having them isn't a bad thing, it's what leads to healing.

I don't think I'd go back, simply because I know what's under most of those smiles and "it's so good to see you" exclamations. Those people don't care about me, never did. This is not what the body of Christ represents to me, clean-cut, well dressed individuals who look to the external things to determine someone's heart.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

KimberlyAnn wrote:I almost agree with Runtu. But not quite.

I left because it wasn't true. But even if it were true, I don't think I'd go back. The Mormon god is such an @Q#$%@$#% that I'd rather go to Outer Darkness than worship him! I can't think of a thing that would make me go back!

KA

I understand that, KA. Just being honest with myself, if I knew it was true, I'd go back, but I think God would have a lot of explaining to do on the other side.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

GIMR wrote:I don't think I'd go back, simply because I know what's under most of those smiles and "it's so good to see you" exclamations. Those people don't care about me, never did. This is not what the body of Christ represents to me, clean-cut, well dressed individuals who look to the external things to determine someone's heart.

But if you ever move to NC, you'll come to Church with me so we can cause trouble. LOL
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

liz3564 wrote:
GIMR wrote:I don't think I'd go back, simply because I know what's under most of those smiles and "it's so good to see you" exclamations. Those people don't care about me, never did. This is not what the body of Christ represents to me, clean-cut, well dressed individuals who look to the external things to determine someone's heart.

But if you ever move to NC, you'll come to Church with me so we can cause trouble. LOL

I can just see them stopping us at the door after one sunday. :-)
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

KimberlyAnn wrote:I left because it wasn't true. But even if it were true, I don't think I'd go back. The Mormon god is such an @Q#$%@$#% that I'd rather go to Outer Darkness than worship him! I can't think of a thing that would make me go back!

KA

That's the beauty of Mormonism though. You really don't have to deal with god, because you'd be your own god governing your own planets, and answering prayers for billions of people. You just wouldn't have time to even think about the other god.

edit - woops. sorry. you'll just be a wife among many others while your hubby does all of the above.

yeah, you're right. outer darkness probably does sound more appealing.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Who Knows wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:I left because it wasn't true. But even if it were true, I don't think I'd go back. The Mormon god is such an @Q#$%@$#% that I'd rather go to Outer Darkness than worship him! I can't think of a thing that would make me go back!

KA

That's the beauty of Mormonism though. You really don't have to deal with god, because you'd be your own god governing your own planets, and answering prayers for billions of people. You just wouldn't have time to even think about the other god.

edit - woops. sorry. you'll just be a wife among many others while your hubby does all of the above.

yeah, you're right. outer darkness probably does sound more appealing.

When I become a deity I intend to give my wife the option to be worshipped too if she wants :)
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo