Dr. Peterson gets a Million

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Blixa wrote:By any.

I admit I do have sympathy for the man. I think he was pretty much forced to perform as a living parody of an academic, and the anxiety of this probably broke him. But an explanation is not an excuse and nothing excuses some of the delusions he peddled.

Having listened to the man speak he certainly never sounded broken.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

By "broken" I don't mean just emotionally or in some way that would be obvious to Mormon audiences. I expect he knew how to perform--that's part of teaching, after all.

I mean it in terms of the way the career he was prepared for was diverted and narrowed. The man was pretty much asked to spend his life spinning absurd apologia after absurd apologia. And I certainly hope he was deeply ashamed of "No Ma'am"---if not, I truly would think less of him.

Also, while I don't interpret things the same way his daughter Martha does, there is much "secondary information" in her book that speaks to me of a very frustrated life and corroborates the hints I also see of this in his own writings.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Dr. Shades wrote:
bodyfit wrote:It is not the job of the US to translate other countries ancient documents with US taxpayers money, no matter how great one thinks they are. Let private parties determine whether they want to spend private money on them. I don't recall reading in the Constitution the part about 'ancient document translation.'

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

And I would tend to agree with it also. However, it is also not the job of the US to provide education with taxpayers’ money, fund medicine, provide welfare, etc. But they do this because in the long run it benefits or has benefited (for the most part) society as a whole. Could the funds be spent on something of more import, or more wisely? Probably if not definately. But, since when do ancient documents belong to one given country? How is it that Arab nations have more rights to ancient documents written in their native tongue than English speaking people do? Are they not the property of us all? Does one nation which makes advances in science or philosophy have sole entitlement to the rights and stewardship of those advances?

I doubt $1 million will be all that missed compared to the money that has been spent in the past on the worthless facades of Utah’s over/underpasses.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I agree Steuss. It seems to me to be just part of funding education.

(by the way, I keep meaning to tell you that a friend of mine was given the complete set of portraits from which your avatar is taken, though in the original GH is in tones of green and yellow, by Richard Avedon himself as a birthday present when he was 10. I used to sleep under them when I stayed at his apartment years ago).
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:I agree Steuss. It seems to me to be just part of funding education.

(by the way, I keep meaning to tell you that a friend of mine was given the complete set of portraits from which your avatar is taken, though in the original GH is in tones of green and yellow, by Richard Avedon himself as a birthday present when he was 10. I used to sleep under them when I stayed at his apartment years ago).

What a groovy gift. My friends had a poster of it in the bathroom of their old house. Back when I did LDS... er... LSD, it was always a treat to go pee.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

His mother was Avedon's manager and the two families were very, very close. He had them hung in a straight line, though, which is different than the "four square" version you posted, and which seems to be the way they're usually shown.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Back when Europe was still struggling through what they call their dark ages, the Islamic culture still was a beacon for learning. Throughout the last thousand years, they have produced a lot of literature. Having some of it translated into English will benefit future generations of English speaking scholarly egghead-type readers. That in turn will keep them off the streets and out of harms way.

There was no “Islamic culture” to be proud of until the Arab armies, invaded, conquered, stole, borrowed and built upon the accomplishments of those cultures before them. Before that time the Islamic culture began as a band of pirates led by a fanatic thug, named Muhammed.

Scholars like Peterson like to romanticize about the so-called “golden age” of Islam, which for the most part is just myth. Many of the famous “Muslims” he relies upon to show how Islam produces cultural beauty, were really people who made accomplishments in spite of Islam, not because of it. Many of them rejected Muhammed and would be murdered today if expressing their views in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan. Within a couple of centuries the geographic expansion of the Islamic empire was larger than the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire was in decline to say the least, and this created the dark ages; whereas the Islamic empire was growing at an unprecedented rate, the peoples were more upbeat and apt to ingenuity. But this only lasted for a few centuries. But yes, naturally, there would be accomplishments in various sciences within this huge geographic region that fell under Islamic rule, but there is absolutely no reason to believe it had anything to do with Islam the religion. In fact the evidence demonstrates that Islam the religion hindered many advances in science, especially medical science. For example, Islam is praised for building the first hospital, but doctors in Islam were extremely limited because the religion prohibited the drawing of the human body. Thus, diagrams of the human anatomy were permitted.

Individuals such as al-Farabi, Avicenna and Averroes just took greatness from other people and contributed absolutely nothing to philosophical ideals.

Pretty much. Can you name me just one thing each of these men contributed to human society that wasn’t already there?

“To be fair, the myth of the golden age of Islam does have a partially valid starting point: there were times in the past when Moslem societies attained higher levels of civilization and culture than they did at other times. There have been times, that is, when some Moslem lands were fit for a cultivated man to live in. Baghdad under Harun ar-Rashid (his well-documented Christian-slaying and Jew-hating proclivities notwithstanding), or Cordova very briefly under Abd ar-Rahman in the tenth century, come to mind. These isolated episodes, neither long nor typical, are endlessly invoked by Islam’s Western apologists and admirers... Three speculative thinkers, notably the three Persians al-Kindi, al-Farabi, and Avicenna, combined Aristotelianism and Neoplatonism with other ideas introduced through Islam. Greatly influenced by Baghdad’s Greek heritage in philosophy that survived the Arab invasion, and especially the writings of Aristotle, Farabi adopted the view—utterly heretical from a Moslem viewpoint—that reason is superior to revelation. He saw religion as a symbolic rendering of truth, and, like Plato, saw it as the duty of the philosopher to provide guidance to the state. He engaged in rationalistic questioning of the authority of the Koran and rejected predestination... But these unorthodox works no more belong to Islam than Voltaire belongs to Christianity. He was in Moslem culture but not of it, indeed opposed to its orthodox core. He examples the pattern we see again and again: the best Moslems, whether judged by intellectual or political achievement, are usually the least Moslem.” - http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Re ... sp?ID=4626

Does anyone ever wonder why philosophy died in Islam many centuries ago? Because of the great philosophical battle between Avicenna and Al Ghazali. The sad thing is that the latter won the hearts and mind of Muslims while the former was considered a heretic and the idea that revelation trumps reason continued to prevail even to this day. Ïncoherence of the Philosophers”was the beginning of the end of “Islamic philosophy” which was merely Greek philosophy placed in an Islamic context.

And I also believe that this is a waste of taxpayer money. I mean who is really going to read this stuff and care?
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein