6000 years ago

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

6000 years ago

Post by _Mercury »

Your a farmer in Ancient Mesopotamia. Above you is the great expanse of Blue and your God, a Giant ball of gas undergoing Fusion . Your world consists of the area you can walk in a day. You were born here on the plot of land you scratch up, in efforts that you might grow crops, the family business. Inheritance, Family and what those at the temple tell you is truth, such as the Law governing grain exchange and order of water rights.

It is common sense that you recieve your water from God, whatever that means, and that males buy wives through slavery sanctioned by the state.

You will live a short life, and if you are female, a harsher one than males. Your priest is in cahoot's with the power brokers in the area, usually because they are his family.

your world is conversations you have with the neighbors and you have no health insurance besides very primitive forms of treatment, usually spiritual in nature, some counterproductive. You hear talk of little history outside your land and what your fraternal family has passed on. You are illiterate and unable to know what laws you break and why unless you go to the priest and ask him, the literate one, to read from a clay tablet that is older than your grandfather.

It seems that your life is ruled by the Sun God.

What parallels to the Mormon hierarchy do I see? I see several. First, the reliance on the Priest as the ultimate authority in law, a class of people benefiting from those kept in the dark so as to sustain power and authority in all matters. This is how a small group of people control many.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: 6000 years ago

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:Your a farmer in Ancient Mesopotamia. Above you is the great expanse of Blue and your God, a Giant ball of gas undergoing Fusion . Your world consists of the area you can walk in a day. You were born here on the plot of land you scratch up, in efforts that you might grow crops, the family business. Inheritance, Family and what those at the temple tell you is truth, such as the Law governing grain exchange and order of water rights.

It is common sense that you recieve your water from God, whatever that means, and that males buy wives through slavery sanctioned by the state.

You will live a short life, and if you are female, a harsher one than males. Your priest is in cahoot's with the power brokers in the area, usually because they are his family.

your world is conversations you have with the neighbors and you have no health insurance besides very primitive forms of treatment, usually spiritual in nature, some counterproductive. You hear talk of little history outside your land and what your fraternal family has passed on. You are illiterate and unable to know what laws you break and why unless you go to the priest and ask him, the literate one, to read from a clay tablet that is older than your grandfather.

What parallels to the Mormon hierarchy do I see? I see several. First, the reliance on the Priest as the ultimate authority in law, a class of people benefiting from those kept in the dark so as to sustain power and authority in all matters. This is how a small group of people control many.

Is this person happy?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Nehor wrote:Is this person happy?

Is a child who is accustomed to abuse happy?
Lost in time
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mercury wrote:Your a farmer in Ancient Mesopotamia. Above you is the great expanse of Blue and your God, a Giant ball of gas undergoing Fusion.

Ah, the coming of Gozer the Gozarian. Many Mesopotamians were roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:Is a child who is accustomed to abuse happy?

That's not an answer.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Nehor wrote:That's not an answer.

Technically the person is happy. An abused child really does not know that they are abused until outside sources tell them otherwise. Those that control them implicitly are the abuser and the authority figure. that's the point I was trying to make.
Lost in time
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Mercury wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Mercury wrote:Your a farmer in Ancient Mesopotamia. Above you is the great expanse of Blue and your God, a Giant ball of gas undergoing Fusion . Your world consists of the area you can walk in a day. You were born here on the plot of land you scratch up, in efforts that you might grow crops, the family business. Inheritance, Family and what those at the temple tell you is truth, such as the Law governing grain exchange and order of water rights.

Is this person happy?

That's not an answer.

Technically the person is happy. An abused child really does not know that they are abused until outside sources tell them otherwise. Those that control them implicitly are the abuser and the authority figure. that's the point I was trying to make.

I've dealt with abuse victims before. They all know something is wrong though in children or those abused as children it tends to come out in messed-up ways. But you're contending that since the dawn of civilization the majority of the population of the planet has been abused? Wow.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Nehor wrote:
Mercury wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Mercury wrote:
The Nehor wrote:

Is this person happy?

That's not an answer.

I've dealt with abuse victims before. They all know something is wrong though in children or those abused as children it tends to come out in messed-up ways. But you're contending that since the dawn of civilization the majority of the population of the planet has been abused? Wow.

I'm not playing the victim card here but I suffered from abuse and neglect, eventually the courts took me away and placed me with another abusive family. As a child I didn't understand why everyone was so upset at my mother and in my experience it is standard faire for the abused to defend the abuser while engaged in a dammaging environment. Call it stockholm syndrome.

I think your reading my analogy incorrectly or im not explaining my point well enough. ill try to clarify in a later post.
Lost in time
_JAK
_Emeritus

100,000 to 150,000 Years Ago Included

Post by _JAK »

6,000 years ago is less significant than one might consider.

How Old Is the Earth?

Radiometric Dating

Earth's climate models

150,000 to 100,000 Years ago

North America During the Last 150,000 Years

Giant Ape & Humans 100,000 Years Ago

Modern Form of Homo sapiens First Appeared about 100,000 Years Ago

The last one in this list has multiple links and is from The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS).

Lots of reading here.

JAK
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: 100,000 to 150,000 Years Ago Included

Post by _Mercury »

JAK wrote:

6,000 years ago is less significant than one might consider.

How Old Is the Earth?

Radiometric Dating

Earth's climate models

150,000 to 100,000 Years ago

North America During the Last 150,000 Years

Giant Ape & Humans 100,000 Years Ago

Modern Form of Homo sapiens First Appeared about 100,000 Years Ago

The last one in this list has multiple links and is from The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS).

Lots of reading here.

JAK

Yes yes yes, we have heard from the perspective of Evolution and it never leaves us wanting. But what of societies? What of establishmenst of institutions, Trusts and Laws - both spiritual and physical, legality and currency establish value systems. It is not to know these orders, it is to BE these orders that fascinates me. I buy every single major assumption coming out of the Agnostic camp and some of teh Atheist camp as well.
Lost in time