Importance of Good Works

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Importance of Good Works

Post by _moksha »

It seems to me that our salvation comes in spite of all we can do. That is not to say that the doing is of no importance. The second great request of Jesus is that we love our fellow beings. A lot of work is involved in making that happen. Only the most conservative religionists would deny the importance of this work of serving others. Consider it as parallel to the small boat versus the big boat folks of Buddhism. The small boaters take responsibility for only their own enlightenment. The big boaters feel a need to ensure the journey of others as well. Those Christians who adhere to the efficacy of good works are the Christian big boaters.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hi Mok, as in many things one might consider broadly humanitarian from reading "The Sermon On The Mount", and have little difficulty endorsing them as the way "God" would have us live, as instructed by Jesus, we non-the-less are indoctrinated in the idea of "faith" as key to "salvation"--whatever that might mean... Generally speaking. in the minds of too many so-called-Christians in every sect, an expression of faith, in testimony meetings, lends more status than absence from "church" engaged in a just & worthy cause.

As i profile Jesus, he was more into works/doing, than he was into expressions of "faith" by Scribes, Pharasees--hypocrits... Just another 'wrong' in interpretaion of His words & ways. Seems too easy to have "faith" in the wrong thing... Warm regards, Roger
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

[quote="Roger MorrisonAs I profile Jesus, he was more into works/doing, than he was into expressions of "faith" by Scribes, Pharasees--hypocrits... Just another 'wrong' in interpretaion of His words & ways. Seems too easy to have "faith" in the wrong thing... Warm regards, Roger[/quote]

Hey Roger, I think you are absolutely right.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hey Mok, am i not usually, eh? Roger ;-)