"WHERE ELSE COULD WE GO?.."

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

"WHERE ELSE COULD WE GO?.."

Post by _Inconceivable »

My wife (TBM) was telling me about a few more people in the ward that have asked to be released from their callings as well as another newly returned missionary that has gone inactive. It seems that once a Mormon (that places a high value on honesty, integrity and morality) has discovered the duplicitous nature of those they have trusted, they find it difficult to participate in the organization. At least they need some time to think things over before making further life changing decisions.

Well, my wife then said something that she has repeated often in our conversations (I’m paraphrasing here): “If you leave the church, where else would you go to keep your family from falling into immorality? There is no other church on earth that places such emphasis on family and living righteously”.

I’m discovering that this is an argument among Mormons that frightens members not just to have their names on the books but to be remain active members.

I am reminded of the movie/novel “The Village” (by M. Night Shyamalan). Members of the community were discouraged to venture beyond the town’s bounderies because of the perceived and even real dangers created by the village elders.

Why is it that there are no other churches or organizations (outside of the Mormon church) that do so much to emphasize and preserve traditional moral family values? Well, perhaps there are. Just because a Mormon has been told there aren’t doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

According to the elders, parents will fail in their nurturing without the assistance of "the church" - it does “take a village".

I understand that many of us place a great deal of value upon a sense of community where we desire to share common ideals with those we surround ourselves with. But does it really take a church, an organization or a Village to raise a child (or even a family) - protecting them from the real and even perceived dangers that lurk beyond it’s bounds?

Comments?
_twinkie
_Emeritus

Post by _twinkie »

That's a really good question. The emphasis on family values and morals is one of the things that attracted me to the Mormon church.

You know, even outside the Mormon culture, inside traditional christianity, you hear things like, "sin all week, repent on sunday," "once-a-week christians," "I saw him at the bar last night."

Oh, as for your last question, I think that someone, somewhere needs to hold people accountable for their actions, it doesn't necessarily have to be a church. I think that our society doesn't do that effectively.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

The question isnt "Is this best for my family"

The question is "Is this where the truth about Christ is taught". Everything stems from that point. If its Christs church, then it will be best for your family. All the blessings you associate with Christ will be brought to your family.

Is the truth about Christ found in the Mormon Church. that's the question.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Gazelam wrote:The question isn't "Is this best for my family"

The question is "Is this where the truth about Christ is taught". Everything stems from that point. If its Christs church, then it will be best for your family. All the blessings you associate with Christ will be brought to your family.

I know what you are trying to say, Gaz.

But no you can't marry my wife even if you do it in secret.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Having this christ fellow in your life has nothing to do with raising good children.

Otherwise, only christians, wait.. only Mormons would have good families producing productive, ethical members of society.

Last time I checked, this is not the case, far from it. For every good Mormon child produced there are thousands of non Mormon children produced.

Mormon families have the same problems facing non Mormon families and vicaversa. You live in Los Vegas, look around, why are all of those non Mormon families in your city flourishing? Is Satan doing that JUST to entice YOU? Get over it.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Yes, and as the OP said, many of us have discovered that he isn't. Oh, and it's not a particularly beneficial way to raise one's family, either.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I do think this is a common reaction, that the LDS church is the safest way to raise a family. But LDS have that impression because the church has carefully inculcated that impression.

Reality is, of course, that it is quite possible to raise healthy, safe, moral kids outside of Mormonism or any religious system. Isn't it a bit insulting to every nonmormon in the world to believe otherwise?

Although my children are still young adults (21, 19, 17) so far I am quite satisfied that they are individuals with a strong sense of right/wrong and moral and social responsibility. In fact, they behave far better than *I* did when I was their age, and I was raised in a church (not LDS).

Not only have I raised my children without the "village" of a church or any organization, but I have raised them while being an open atheist. I haven't foisted my nonbelief on them, and instead of teaching them to just accept what I, their parent, told them, that their responsibility and right was to question and figure these things out for themselves. They have each gone through various phases of belief/nonbelief, but at the current count, the oldest considers himself an atheist, the middle an agnostic, and the youngest a deist.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I remember when I was a teenager I was friends with a LDS girl. She was very promiscuous and was a delinquent. I wasn't an angel but I was pretty tame compared to her. I remember when we would go to her house her parents would scowl at me and would make me wait outside. I could never understand that. She was the one leading me astray, not the other way around!

I think good parents can be good parents regardless of the Church community. It doesn't hurt to have a good community to fall back on, and in some cases that can be a Church. But it's not the only one.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

beastie wrote:I do think this is a common reaction, that the LDS church is the safest way to raise a family. But LDS have that impression because the church has carefully inculcated that impression.

Reality is, of course, that it is quite possible to raise healthy, safe, moral kids outside of Mormonism or any religious system. Isn't it a bit insulting to every nonmormon in the world to believe otherwise?

Although my children are still young adults (21, 19, 17) so far I am quite satisfied that they are individuals with a strong sense of right/wrong and moral and social responsibility. In fact, they behave far better than *I* did when I was their age, and I was raised in a church (not LDS).

Not only have I raised my children without the "village" of a church or any organization, but I have raised them while being an open atheist. I haven't foisted my nonbelief on them, and instead of teaching them to just accept what I, their parent, told them, that their responsibility and right was to question and figure these things out for themselves. They have each gone through various phases of belief/nonbelief, but at the current count, the oldest considers himself an atheist, the middle an agnostic, and the youngest a deist.

I've done the same with my children Beastie. Although my kids go to Church. They go with friends and attend one with their grandparents. I want them to choose. They're well adjusted and none of them have horns. Yet.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Yeah, my kids had plenty of "church time" in their youth. When I left the LDS church, my oldest was almost 8, my middle 6, and the youngest 3/4, and had been attending church for three hours a week their entire lives. Then I went to the Episcopal church for a couple of years, taking them with me. So I guess by the time I quit attending any church, they'd had their fill, too, because the only one who still went with friends now and then was my youngest, my daughter, and it was a social more than religious function.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com