near death experiences and Mormonism....

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_larryfulkerson
_Emeritus

near death experiences and Mormonism....

Post by _larryfulkerson »

So um......hey you guys. I've been reading about Near Death Experiences lately and I'm leaning toward the opinion that they are real, ligitiment ( how do you spell legitament? ) experiences. What do you guys think?
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

legitimate.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Blixa wrote:legitimate.

Are you just spelling it for him or do you really think that?

;)

I think people have experiences when they are near death, sure. If they're conscious, they're having some sort of experience. The question is whether those experiences are indicative of something divine "on the other side." If that's your real question, then they are decidedly not legitimate.

Unless you're dead, you're not dead, and these reported experiences are meaningless. I only consider a person dead if they don't come back. I've noticed others have a looser definition of the word dead, really meaning something like "only partly dead." Clearly, those physical signs that are used to determine whether someone's dead or not may not be as conclusive as we might imagine.

Until a person loses consciousness for good AND their physical body stops ticking, we can't safely say they're dead.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Some Schmo wrote:
Blixa wrote:legitimate.

Are you just spelling it for him or do you really think that?

;)

I think people have experiences when they are near death, sure. If they're conscious, they're having some sort of experience. The question is whether those experiences are indicative of something divine "on the other side." If that's your real question, then they are decidedly not legitimate.

Unless you're dead, you're not dead, and these reported experiences are meaningless. I only consider a person dead if they don't come back. I've noticed others have a looser definition of the word dead, really meaning something like "only partly dead." Clearly, those physical signs that are used to determine whether someone's dead or not may not be as conclusive as we might imagine.

Until a person loses consciousness for good AND their physical body stops ticking, we can't safely say they're dead.

You obviously missed the Princess Bride discussion of the difference between mostly dead and all dead. "When they're mostly dead they're still partly alive. When they're all dead there's only one thing you can do. Go through their pockets and look for loose change."
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Here's a previous thread that talks about this subject.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Spelling.

For me death is that undiscovered country from which no man returns or whatever Hamlet was on about.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

It occurred to me that if I wanted to know what the afterlife was about, it wouldn't hurt to ask someone that has been there and come back.

Lessons from the Light, by Kenneth Ring is a book where he has made a summary of parallels of hundreds of NDE'rs that he has interviewed over the past 20 years or so. I found it very informative, intriguing and even inspiring.

Generally speaking, here is a summary of what the more part of those interviewed experienced:

A view of their physical state upon cardiac arrest, being privy to personal thoughts, conversations of others taking place immediately about them and even beyond earshot.
A feeling of release from the thoughts and cares of the world.
Being welcomed or initiated by loved ones known and unknown at the time of death.
An atmosphere of unconditional love
A life's review from up to three perspectives: From having experienced their life themselves, those that were affected by them, and a view from one or some that see from the other side. Much more vivid to recall in any other state during life from the worse to the most joyeous. This also included being aware of the ripple effect of those things that influenced and effected others.
Few, if any, felt condemned by whatever was initiating the life review, most considered it more of a lessons learned or a summation of who they really were.
All had a desire to be better than what they reviewed. If anyone or anything they were their own accusers.
Very few had a desire to return to their bodies.
Upon return many experienced depression but ultimately countenanced what I would call more Christlike nature - though Christ was not discussed in this manner in the book.
Many looked forward to the time that they could permanently return.

Interviewees represented a vast cross section of cultures, ethnicities and religeons.

I recall that I could not connect with the last chapter in the book when I read it. I would need to review to see if my perception has changed.

Having experienced the last moments of a young girl's life following a horrific accident a few months ago, it gave me a deeper reverence for the value I place on every living soul.

I have no doubt there is an afterlife. I could best describe it as good. However, though there may be parallels, I am quite doubtful that it is the cartoon painted by Mormon doctrine.

my .02
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Inconceivable wrote:Having experienced the last moments of a young girl's life following a horrific accident a few months ago, it gave me a deeper reverence for the value I place on every living soul. I have no doubt there is an afterlife. I could best describe it as good. However, though there may be parallels, I am quite doubtful that it is the cartoon painted by Mormon doctrine.

my .02

We have a cartoon about it? Man, I wanna see that :)
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

The Nehor wrote:
Inconceivable wrote:..I have no doubt there is an afterlife. I could best describe it as good. However, though there may be parallels, I am quite doubtful that it is the cartoon painted by Mormon doctrine.

my .02

Sure Nehor, I'll give it a shot:

a circle, a little slash just to the right and a label. Another circle (that's where we're at). Another slash (that's what we're talking about in this thread) and then there's two more little circles (partly what we're talking about). Then the big slash of dread. After, 3 more vertical circles with a dark, dark scribble below the bottom circle. Then the part my priest quorum adviser didn't tell me about was the zillion little girly stick figures on the top part of the highest circle (above the other slash I forgot to mention).

Anyway, back to that one slash and two circles that we're talking about.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Inconceivable wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Inconceivable wrote:..I have no doubt there is an afterlife. I could best describe it as good. However, though there may be parallels, I am quite doubtful that it is the cartoon painted by Mormon doctrine.

my .02

Sure Nehor, I'll give it a shot:

a circle, a little slash just to the right and a label. Another circle (that's where we're at). Another slash (that's what we're talking about in this thread) and then there's two more little circles (partly what we're talking about). Then the big slash of dread. After, 3 more vertical circles with a dark, dark scribble below the bottom circle. Then the part my priest quorum adviser didn't tell me about was the zillion little girly stick figures on the top part of the highest circle (above the other slash I forgot to mention).

Anyway, back to that one slash and two circles that we're talking about.

All that shows is divisions among the dead. How does that relate to NDE's at all?