Prayest Thou Most Pleasingly?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Prayest Thou Most Pleasingly?

Post by _moksha »

Pray thee tell, wouldst thine prayers be most pleasing, if thou didst use more words of yore from the time of His most royal Majesty King James?

Now which sounds holier - This:

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum
Si þin nama gehalgod
to becume þin rice
gewurþe ðin willa
on eorðan swa swa on heofonum.
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us todæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge
ac alys us of yfele. Soþlice.´

Or this?

Oure fadir that art in heuenes,
halewid be thi name;
thi kyngdoom come to;
be thi wille don, in erthe as in heuene.
Yyue to vs this dai oure breed ouer othir substaunce,
and foryyue to vs oure dettis, as we foryyuen to oure dettouris;
and lede vs not in to temptacioun, but delyuere vs fro yuel.
Amen.

What about this?

Father,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mine tend to be casual at times punctuated with occasional scriptural terms. A popular one: "Jesus Christ thou Son of God have mercy on me."

I also tell jokes sometimes. I'm not sure if he's laughing with me or at me though.

I also refer to God as Daddy, Dad, and Father more than most I think.

Using thee and thou is tradition and I don't see a reason to use them solely out of tradition but then I think the best parts of prayers are the wordless ones (it's hard though to maintain the spirit of prayer in that case and not slip into mind-blank meditation) so words are very, very secondary to me.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

The Nehor wrote:Mine tend to be casual at times punctuated with occasional scriptural terms. A popular one: "Jesus Christ thou Son of God have mercy on me."

I also tell jokes sometimes. I'm not sure if he's laughing with me or at me though.

I also refer to God as Daddy.

Daddy? Really? For the "All-Being-Master-of-Time-Space-and-Dimension"- "The Alpha and Omega"?
I'm sorry but that seems weird to me. If I were your father I would feel a bit hurt--I might wonder what emotional needs I had failed to meet.

I have heard the theory that God is just a father figure substitute but....
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

One person’s Abba is another person’s Daddy (or is it one person’s Abba is another person’s Electric Light Orchestra[?])
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Tarski wrote:Daddy? Really? For the "All-Being-Master-of-Time-Space-and-Dimension"- "The Alpha and Omega"?
I'm sorry but that seems weird to me. If I were your father I would feel a bit hurt--I might wonder what emotional needs I had failed to meet.

Ummm...I have an awesome mortal father who I am close with. God is not impersonal so why treat him as such? He's not a substitute, he's simply Father. When I'm the omnipotent being calling the shots I don't think I'll mind being addressed that way.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Doctor Steuss wrote:One person’s Abba is another person’s Daddy (or is it one person’s Abba is another person’s Electric Light Orchestra[?])

Both.
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

The Nehor wrote:
Tarski wrote:Daddy? Really? For the "All-Being-Master-of-Time-Space-and-Dimension"- "The Alpha and Omega"?

Ummm...I have an awesome mortal father who I am close with. God is not impersonal so why treat him as such? He's not a substitute, he's simply Father. When I'm the omnipotent being calling the shots I don't think I'll mind being addressed that way.

If you're to become the omnipotent being, then doesn't that mean that the one now is not omnipotent?
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

ozemc wrote:If you're to become the omnipotent being, then doesn't that mean that the one now is not omnipotent?

I suppose it depends what you mean by "omnipotent". Do you mean so powerful he could create a rock so big he couldn't lift it? Obviously there's some problems with that one. Perhaps it would make more sense to consider omnipotence as in most powerful. If God can't lie, then I suspect that even He isn't omnipotent in the rock sense seeing as how He's subject to a certain condition. Perhaps not controlling nor being controlled by other gods is similar to the not lying thing.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

ozemc wrote:If you're to become the omnipotent being, then doesn't that mean that the one now is not omnipotent?

No