Tal's epistemology (and DCP's)

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Tal's epistemology (and DCP's)

Post by _Tarski »

OK this deserves an new thread.

Here is a quote of Tal's to get us started.

Tal Bachman wrote:[color=darkblue][size=14]Tarski

As a rule, I try to interpret things as charitably as is consistent with remaining rational. After reading some of the nonsense banged out on this issue by Peterson and other (amateur) apologists on the FAIR board - citing "Structure of Scientific Revolutions" to defend Mormonism, citing Kant's adoption of, and spin on, Hume's skepticism (which has pretty much subserved every daft po-mo or radically skeptical claim since) - I don't think I have them mispegged at all (or perhaps I should put it this way: only they themselves have given others every reason to believe they [at opportune times anyway] doubt the possibility of knowledge; and if they don't really doubt it, but simply have said as much while defending Mormonism, that only means they are very happy to spontaneously fly up ad hoc defense arguments which even they themselves don't really believe in, just to...just to what? "Do their jobs"? "Keep people believing"? But why, if it isn't even true? And if they're doing that, what would that say about their integrity?)

Personally, I am not so quick to dismiss all the ideas of Kant, Hume and Kuhn.
I don't think that we have discovered a rock solid foundation for knowledge in the way that classical epistemology sought and seeks to do. The same questions and pitfalls keep recurring.
On the other hand, I agree with folks like Dennett (and Rorty) to the extent that I think science and other projects can get along without such foundationalisms. There is no "formula" for truth but this does not stop the scientific endeaver.
Where I am having trouble is seeing whether Tal thinks that we (or that Mormons) must come up with a foundation for or otherwise believe in the possibility of absolute indubitable knowledge or acquiesce to radical skepticism.

My take on DCP is that he probably
1. Rejects radical skepticism and radical relativism.
2. He rejects the possiblity (and perhaps the coherence) of absolute knowledge (we are human!). He probably realizes that the word knowledge is just a word we use without total consistancy and without appeal to a formula or a final theory of knowledge.
3. He thinks there is something to the idea that all so called facts are theory laden but that this does not lead to radical skepticism or epistemological solipsism. It only means that our facts are situated in an implicit and sometimes explicit theoretical background and cannot even be stated without such.
4. He thinks that he can have an admittedly imperfect knowledge of the truth of the Mormon church.

I agree with 1,2, and 3 and even think that if the Mormon church were true (contra all plausiblity) then indeed one might be able to know it in the same sense that one "knows" other things so 4 could be true (no claim of godlike apodicticity). Unfortunately I think this would involve considerations that should be public and in some sense empirical---not some appeal to a subjective encounter with "The Holy Ghost".
However, such an encounter may just in fact make someone believe. But then an encounter with LSD makes people believe weird things too.

The main place I differ is simply that I think evidence and common sense demand that I recognize that the Mormon church is about as likely to be true as the Church of Scientology (essentially nil).
Why DCP doesn't see this is just a mystery of life that I am used to becuase I see similar thing all around me.
In short I don't think that DCP or anyone else knows the church to be true and I hold this opinion in part simply because I don't think the church is true and by linguistic convention one can't know what isn't true.
In fact I am tempted to say I know it's not true--I think I have good reasons! But that knowledge/conviction isn't locked up in some absolute sense (as if I had a mathematical proof).

So what exactly are Tal's own convictions on "knowledge"?
What exactly are Dr. Peterson's conviction on the matter.

Please, note that I don't think a person should have hold a grand theory of knowledge and its OK to say so.

Also, in regard to Post Modernism, I think there is a great deal of misunderstanding and overgeneralization.
For example, I personally think a lot of that stuff is bunk but guys like R. Rorty are to be given due consideration.

Sidewinder/Gadianton/Greyskull had a few good things to say on this.
Greyskull, care to weigh in?
Last edited by W3C [Validator] on Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Good topic Tarski! I've been drinking tonight so I'd love to weigh in. I'm not as familiar with Tal as I am you, I'd wager when it comes down to it we're all about on the same page. The main thing I disagree with Tal on in regards to DCP is that I think DCP has been clear that he's in no way moved by postmodernism (in contrast to Ben or Julliann for instance (though Julliann hasn't actually studied it and just throws words around she doesn't understand)) and I believe has taken positions consistent with that view.

Personally, I am not so quick to dismiss all the ideas of Kant, Hume and Kuhn.

I agree. In fact Kuhn in particular, whatever an apologist might gain via his ultimate anti-realism is quickly traded for Kuhn's strict rules for the project of science. Apologists should be more happy with Richard Feynman who believed in Truth yet held the door open for any and all ideas, fearing a tyrannical power fall into the hands of a select few who'd become a modern-day clergy and repress innovation. Kuhn was far less sympathetic to a plurality of theories being on the table. Science should work on the reigning paradigm, and as evidence couldn't be assimilated, slowly but surely a second paradigm would come into play. But he'd slam the door fast on alternative accounts of the ancient Americas. It's highly unlikely that the apologetic account of New World history could ever even be a "paradigm" in the way he intended the term.

One of the innovations of Kuhn and Feyerabend in their sociological understanding of science was to look deeply into the historical context of famous scientific discoveries rather than relying so heavy on imaginative scenarios and thought experiments that analytic philosophy is so fond of. Paul Newall who was a student of Feyerabend's has a great website which I'd say gives a solid and comprehensible case for the sociology of knowledge from an analytic stance.

Postmodernism from the continental tradition I don't think approaches the subject in a way that would make it comprehensible to most people and I agree with you that there are all-too-many overgeneralizations against it - Alan Sokal etc. It's easy to miss the point when the backdrop is phenomenology, Marxism, and semiology rather than straight-forward epistemology.

I think there is a lot of worry by atheists that we need to seal all possible entrance ways to keep religion out, leading to fairly naïve views on what science is. I'm simply interested in what it is at face value and don't care if some room is left for religion to sneak in since I think religion is such a pathetic joke that it in actuality poses no threat.
_A Light in the Darkness
_Emeritus

Post by _A Light in the Darkness »

The chief problem in what Tal is saying, left unstated by Gadianton, is that apologists (in the true sense of the term) like Dr. Peterson have not denied the possibility of knowledge in their arguments. Gadianton is happy to point out that Dr. Peterson has been consistent in rejecting the thrust of postmodern philosophy. But more than than, thinkers like Thomas Kuhn aren't denying the possibility of knowledge. So an endorsement of him cannot be taken as an endorsement of radical skepticism. That is where Tal is going very wrong. Presumably, he is familiar with shallow criticisms of what pomo thought is and from those has come to the mistaken view that endorsing pomo = endorsing radical skepticism. By the way, Kant's epistemology was not one of a radical skeptic. His work concerns attempting to address powerful arguments in favor of radical skepticism while preserving the project of knowledge as we understand it.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I don't suppose it's too much to ask that the thread be allowed to unfold without the gratuitous personal attacks?
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

harmony wrote:I don't suppose it's too much to ask that the thread be allowed to unfold without the gratuitous personal attacks?

Topic has been split.

See the Telestial Forum for the additional snipey comments for those who wish to continue in that vain.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

A Light in the Darkness wrote:
marg wrote:
Gad..please get off your high horse and talk like normal people. Even though I don't like DCP's ideas regarding Mormonism, he not nearly as obnoxious as you.

Thinking is hard!

Gadiantion is talking like a normal person who is conversant with the topic being discussed. If anything is obnoxious about his post, it is the cavalier shots he takes at religious belief. Have you ever considered that the problem might be that you are well-versed in the topics enough to appreciate the context of the language?

Ok, so my posts get nabbed but this one doesn't even though it's off the same caliber of "oh yeah? You are, but what am I" purile b***s***?
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
A Light in the Darkness wrote:
marg wrote:
Gad..please get off your high horse and talk like normal people. Even though I don't like DCP's ideas regarding Mormonism, he not nearly as obnoxious as you.

Thinking is hard!

Gadiantion is talking like a normal person who is conversant with the topic being discussed. If anything is obnoxious about his post, it is the cavalier shots he takes at religious belief. Have you ever considered that the problem might be that you are well-versed in the topics enough to appreciate the context of the language?

Ok, so my posts get nabbed but this one doesn't even though it's off the same caliber of "oh yeah? You are, but what am I" purile b***s***?

Sorry for the oversight, Coffee! You're absolutely right! I thought I had checked that one when I split the topic.

Let me re-think this, and move over a few more.

;)
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

OK, folks....I've done the LAST split on this thread. The teaching comments are in the Off Topic Forum.

Now play nice!

;)
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

liz3564 wrote:OK, folks....I've done the LAST split on this thread. The teaching comments are in the Off Topic Forum.

Now play nice!

;)

Ok, have enough b**** to post yourt name next to you "red" posts, a******. If youy can;t even be a**ed to let us know WHO YOU ARE on this site then you are less than worthless as both an authority figure and as a person.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Ok, have enough b**** to post yourt name next to you "red" posts, a******. If youy can;t even be a**** to let us know WHO YOU ARE on this site then you are less than worthless as both an authority figure and as a person.

She DID post who she was right next to her red posts. It was Liz3564, and her name and avatar were clearly to the direct left of both red posts.

It didn't require any balls to do that, since she's female.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley