A question prompted from a video

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

A question prompted from a video

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

This video recently came up during a chat session.....I gotta ask. Do you Mormons really go to church on a basketball court or is that an anomaly from this video?
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: A question prompted from a video

Post by _The Nehor »

Bond...James Bond wrote:This video recently came up during a chat session.....I gotta ask. Do you Mormons really go to church on a basketball court or is that an anomaly from this video?

Most buildings have a basketball court. There is also a conventional chapel. The basketball court is used for most non-religious functions. It is also used as an overflow if the chapel is full. This usually only happens in most wards during large firesides.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Our Ward has to use the overflow every sunday. So half the congregation sits on the basketball court.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Livingstone22
_Emeritus

Post by _Livingstone22 »

This isn't an actual church service--it's just an activity. The actual worship service is usually held in a traditional-looking chapel. (But, yeah, most LDS buildings are built so the basketball court can be used for chapel overflow).
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Thanks for the responses.....that would be too weird on a weekly basis.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07