The Reason I believed the LDS church was True..

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_mocnarf
_Emeritus

Re: Church organization

Post by _mocnarf »

liz3564 wrote:For the longest time, I believed that, too, Gaz.

But if the Joseph Smith was suppose to have restored the Primitive Church, why are there so many stark differences between that Primitive Church and the church of today?

I can't tell you how many times I've had to go into detailed explanations as to the differences between the Mormon definition for what Teachers, Bishops, etc, do in our Church as opposed to how it is laid out in the Bible.

Why was there no mention of Wards or Stakes...even in the Book of Mormon? Or the D&C for that matter?

I think your latter definition of how the Church was organized is more correct. If we're going on the idea that it was inspired to be run this way based on modern revelation.

But then, why is there still the constant emphasis on the restoring of Christ's original Church?

It really isn't. The Mormon Church is yet another interpretation of Christ's Church, but the organization hardly resembles it.

Liz, I totally agree with you, if anyone took the time to compare the "Original Church" with the Mormon Church they don't any any meaningful way resemble each other.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Liz

Post by _Gazelam »

Why was there no mention of Wards or Stakes...even in the Book of Mormon? Or the D&C for that matter?

The second half of the new Testament is known as the Epistles. All 21 of these were written to Stakes, Wards, Branches. whatever word you want to use, its all the same thing. The point of the epistles was to correct error, commend good works, etc... In other words, maintain order and ensure correct teachings and behavior. This because not all roads lead to Rome. There is a right and wrong way to worship deity.

In D&C 128:3 there is a mention of a recorder beign needed in each Ward of the city to keep accurate records. Sections 121, 122, 123, 127 and 128 are each examples of Joseph Smith writing epistles. Sidney Rigdon was commanded by revelation to write an epistle soliciting funds for the church. (D&C 58:51). Frequent Book of Mormon reference is found to epistles, which were formal letters dealing with affairs of state and of the Church. (Alma 54:4; 55:3, 56:1; 57:1)
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Re: Inconceivable to marg Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:04 am

Post by _ajax18 »

I was indoctrinated to care for others more than I cared for myself.

Nothing wrong with this but I hope they also mentioned in caring for others more than yourself, you actually do the best you can do for your own self. I do like it when President Monson quotes Sir Gallahad, "Above all things, to thine own self be true." Does this sound selfish? I can see how some would take it that way. Yet this rings as true to me as any truth I've affirmed and believed. You're first obligation is to yourself ultimately. There is nothing wrong with that.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

But, its exclusivity, arrogance, dogmaticism, absolutism, and its far-fetched theology gives it away as being no more than another well oiled, successful religious ruse. That it satisfies the needs of some is to its credit. Not however to its self-declared divine endorsement, IMSCO

Sometimes I think it trying to satisfy the needs of everyone Mormonism fails to satisfy the needs of anyone. The Church may be larger now that its moving away from the legalism of Bro. McKonckie, but by no means do I see it as stronger. Like him or hate him, Bro. McKonckie believed in what he was doing and made great sacrifices to live a sound gospel life. While the Churh may not quote Bro. McKonckie often enough, this Church was truly built for people like him, people who fel that strong drive to work their way to heavan as if it all depended on them. In the Mormon Church, work oppurtunity is defeinitely not scarce. The more I convince myself there is something in it for me, the better I feel about doing it. Sometimes basic altruism and natural evolutionary tendencies toward cooperation just don't get me very interested in coming out at all. Yet if you were to add to it reward in heavan, I could sit through even some of the boringest meetings. Maybe I could find a meaning in attending a seemigly meaningless meeting.

Imgaine you're working a job. You love your job. Now they quit paying you? You start to not like your job so much. As a matter of fact you don't even go very often.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: Inconceivable to marg Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:04 am

Post by _The Nehor »

ajax18 wrote:
I was indoctrinated to care for others more than I cared for myself.

Nothing wrong with this but I hope they also mentioned in caring for others more than yourself, you actually do the best you can do for your own self. I do like it when President Monson quotes Sir Gallahad, "Above all things, to thine own self be true." Does this sound selfish? I can see how some would take it that way. Yet this rings as true to me as any truth I've affirmed and believed. You're first obligation is to yourself ultimately. There is nothing wrong with that.

The commandment to love neighbors as thyself does not mean to love them more than you love yourself. Though now that I think about it people filled with self-loathing should have any easy time with that commandment.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Ajax, you stated:

While our church claims to have the complete truth, I find many members even more confused than me on many moral quesitons. I find the Brethren silent on many of these questions. We still argue about the whole grace vs. works thing. I think a detailed understanding and agreement of this is essential to any religion that seeks to motivate people to lengthen their stride, be a little better, work a little harder, etc. At a certain point you have to ask yourself if you're really being uplifted at Church, or are other patrons views on justice, making you wonder why you ever signed up to be a Mormon in the first place? (UL added by RM)

So, have you come to any conclusions? Speculations as to the "why" of your LDS membership? I think you perceive correctly about confusion in LDSism. Too much irrationalism for many who are better educated today than were those a 100+/- years ago to accept without question. With no satisfactory answers to sincere legitimate questions one is forced to evaluate their environment, then act according to their personal disposition--submit or......

The more I convince myself there is something in it for me, the better I feel about doing it. Sometimes basic altruism and natural evolutionary tendencies toward cooperation just don't get me very interested in coming out at all. Yet if you were to add to it reward in heavan, I could sit through even some of the boringest meetings. Maybe I could find a meaning in attending a seemigly meaningless meeting.

Seems you're getting a pay-back of some kind?? Convert?? How long?? Social asspect?? Lonely?? You have a 'position'? Spouse/children active? Heavenly aspirations as a "Godess"? Many personal reasons for church attendance. Tried any others?? REALLY, why do You think YOU attend??? Warm regards, Roger
_JAK
_Emeritus

Concept of "original"

Post by _JAK »

mocnarf wrote:
liz3564 wrote:For the longest time, I believed that, too, Gaz.

But if the Joseph Smith was suppose to have restored the Primitive Church, why are there so many stark differences between that Primitive Church and the church of today?

I can't tell you how many times I've had to go into detailed explanations as to the differences between the Mormon definition for what Teachers, Bishops, etc, do in our Church as opposed to how it is laid out in the Bible.

I think your latter definition of how the Church was organized is more correct. If we're going on the idea that it was inspired to be run this way based on modern revelation.

But then, why is there still the constant emphasis on the restoring of Christ's original Church?

It really isn't. The Mormon Church is yet another interpretation of Christ's Church, but the organization hardly resembles it.

Liz, I totally agree with you, if anyone took the time to compare the "Original Church" with the Mormon Church they don't any any meaningful way resemble each other.

Hi mocnarf,

Your statement regarding “Original Church” is interesting since it is a widely held notion.

There really was no original church as many perceive.

Religious mythologies evolved from previous mythologies (superstitions).

Let me illustrate:
There was no original English language. We have today what we regard as the English language. However, in our short time-frame as individuals (a few decades), we often loose sight of the fact that language, all language, developed relatively slowly and over significantly longer periods of time.

We have words today in the English language which were not there even 50 or 100 years ago. The language grows. In addition, the meanings of words change. We interpret words in the context of their use. Finding original meaning in usage is an academic challenge even with a historical record.

Just to take a very common example, the word gay meant happy, joyful only a few decades ago. Today, we raise our eyebrows if someone uses that little word to mean happy, joyful as it meant decades ago. Now it has a different meaning. Depending upon your age, you may be sufficiently old to recognize that. However, to a person today who is 20 more or less, gay has quite a different meaning.

With religious mythologies as with language the evolution of them can be documented. However, most religious groups have little or no interest in doing that. They are not interested in dating doctrinal shifts and schisms in their own religious myth. Rather, they prefer to believe that what they believe now is exactly what their imagined original religion believed.

They neither want nor intend to visit the actual historical points when doctrinal change evolved.

The notion of the original English language is a flawed notion. Or, there never was an original English language.

While in the USA, we regard that we speak the English language, accents are so different from our own in places that we must listen carefully to understand or know exactly what word was spoken if the accent of that word is at great variance from our own. In print, such as we have in this bb, we don’t hear an accent, a different pronunciation of words.

We do, however, mean different things sometimes with the very same word. When that occurs, there is misunderstanding or confusion.

However, the emergence/evolution of civilizations and cultures including their religious myths is one of change over time.

I think we often forget or simply don’t think about things such as this which we would know if we reflected more fully on historical development.

JAK
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Roger Morrison wrote:Ajax, you stated:

While our church claims to have the complete truth, I find many members even more confused than me on many moral quesitons. I find the Brethren silent on many of these questions. We still argue about the whole grace vs. works thing. I think a detailed understanding and agreement of this is essential to any religion that seeks to motivate people to lengthen their stride, be a little better, work a little harder, etc. At a certain point you have to ask yourself if you're really being uplifted at Church, or are other patrons views on justice, making you wonder why you ever signed up to be a Mormon in the first place? (UL added by RM)

So, have you come to any conclusions? Speculations as to the "why" of your LDS membership? I think you perceive correctly about confusion in LDSism. Too much irrationalism for many who are better educated today than were those a 100+/- years ago to accept without question. With no satisfactory answers to sincere legitimate questions one is forced to evaluate their environment, then act according to their personal disposition--submit or......

The more I convince myself there is something in it for me, the better I feel about doing it. Sometimes basic altruism and natural evolutionary tendencies toward cooperation just don't get me very interested in coming out at all. Yet if you were to add to it reward in heavan, I could sit through even some of the boringest meetings. Maybe I could find a meaning in attending a seemigly meaningless meeting.

Seems you're getting a pay-back of some kind?? Convert?? How long?? Social asspect?? Lonely?? You have a 'position'? Spouse/children active? Heavenly aspirations as a "Godess"? Many personal reasons for church attendance. Tried any others?? REALLY, why do You think YOU attend??? Warm regards, Roger

Family ties Roger, just like most everyone else on this board. It would break my parents heart if they knew what I really thought of all this. Right now it's not worth it to me to upset them. Of course there is always the element of fear. As a scientific minded person generally I'm never too sure of myself.

I still hold some of the beliefs of Mormonism. It's that right now I don't understand why they cost 10% of my increase, need to be repeated and confused in countless meeting hours in expensive buildings, or why we have to keep preaching things that people don't want to hear in an effort to win converts. I really got tired of that part as well. If they want it bad enough, they'll come to me. If they don't, does it really matter if I tell them anyway?
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hi Ajax, you said:

Family ties Roger, just like most everyone else on this board. It would break my parents heart if they knew what I really thought of all this. Right now it's not worth it to me to upset them. Of course there is always the element of fear. As a scientific minded person generally I'm never too sure of myself.

RM: Yes, i'm sure that is a tough knot to freedom. I/we considered that with our kids. But it didn't seem rational that we should continue to toxify ourselves in fear of 'imagined' familial consequences. If the situation was reversed, would we want them to 'suffer' for our sake? Never. And, it has not effected our relationship in any way after the initial realization that Family comes before philosophy; at least in our case. Of course, not knowing those involved in your family situation...

How does having a "...scientific mind..." effect your self confidence??

I still hold some of the beliefs of Mormonism. It's that right now I don't understand why they cost 10% of my increase, need to be repeated and confused in countless meeting hours in expensive buildings, or why we have to keep preaching things that people don't want to hear in an effort to win converts.

RM: There is no rational, practical answer to those questions. They are simply the actions of blind-faith believers in every sect. Mormons however take them in larger doses to proove worthiness for "Celestialism", generally speaking. A % of Mormons never 'think' they simply believe simply, and endure-to-the-end for their own gratification. So be it.

Follow your "...win convert..." thought a bit... LDSism is built on prostilizing. It would be a small fraction of its current size if Missionaries were released to engage more earth-while activities, as normal teens. I doubt many would engage debauchery, as some oldies might fear. It is well known that converts, generally speaking, come from introverts who wait for invitations; they are not initiative takers--generally. So they are easy prey/pray/praise for an aggressive sales force. So be it.

As these folks change under the guiding hands of "Authority" and the process of osmosis, they sometimed blossom and attach themselves inseperably to their source of satisfaction. So be it. Others 'investigate' and decide differently, to their satisfaction.

There would be little wrong with this IF the mind-numbing, spirit-intimidating, ritual-essentialism did not play with the heads of so many as to make them behave as you have described your own inhibiting sentiment to react rationally. While this may seem personally directed, i don't intend it so. It is simply the way Mormonism, as a cult, works. Other than that indoctrination--our-way-or-no-way-to-glory--it would probably out-shine a lot of other fundie groups... IF that's one's need, go for it!

I really got tired of that part as well. If they want it bad enough, they'll come to me. If they don't, does it really matter if I tell them anyway?

RM: Seems you're not a "Sales person" by nature :-) eh? Not likely a good tele-marketer either, LOL!

Don't give up. Your life really is in your hands. Your choices... Warm regards, Roger