"God's Warriors"

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

"God's Warriors"

Post by _Roger Morrison »

This is a documentary to be shown Tues, Wed, Thurs evening 9PM to 11PM on CNN, Larry King Live. It looks to be a "don't miss" program... Roger
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

What will it be about?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

I watched it twice last night. Exellent program!
I hope it provokes lots of discussion afterwards, especially for the Christians who preach condemnation of non believers and believe the atrocities in the Old Testament are of God. I also hope more believers will come away from the program with a conviction to keep their religion out of all politics.

I watched Larry King do a show the night before it aired and the guests were "moderates" from all 3 groups. (Jewish, Muslim, EV Christian) I wish he could have thrown in an agnostic or atheist POV as well. Hitchens was quoted once but that was all. There was one Christian guy on there who was more liberal in his beliefs of the Bible getting into a little debate with the EV but they didn't have time to battle it out.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

moksha wrote:What will it be about?

Religious fanatics/"God's Warriors" from the Jewish faith, Muslim, and Christian. Tonight it will be on the Muslim Warriors.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I saw the one on the Muslims last night and I look forward to the one on the militant Christians tonight. This seems to be one of those must see programs to have a better understanding of the World around us. Christiane Amanpour did a great job with her questions.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_JAK
_Emeritus

Re: "God's Warriors"

Post by _JAK »

Roger Morrison wrote:This is a documentary to be shown Tues, Wed, Thurs evening 9PM to 11PM on CNN, Larry King Live. It looks to be a "don't miss" program... Roger

While the broadcast was very informative offering insights, I suspect the people who should see the program are unlikely to see it. I also suspect some interviewed will not like the “picture” the documentary paints.

One thing which strikes me is that we see an ever more fracturing of religious pundits as televangelists and others become more insistent that their views should be codified in law forcing everyone to conform to their beliefs and their enforced values.

Many of these pundits have private lives which do not reflect their public dogma. Consider the likes of Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, etc. Of course some of the religious ideologues are successful in keeping their private lives private.

CNN worked to present as much information/interview/analysis as possible within the time constraints of the program.

Frontline on PBS has done a number of shows on the relgious right in America with such hosts as Bill Moyers.

JAK
_JAK
_Emeritus

Power of the Religious Right

Post by _JAK »

Seven wrote:
moksha wrote:What will it be about?

Religious fanatics/"God's Warriors" from the Jewish faith, Muslim, and Christian. Tonight it will be on the Muslim Warriors.

Hi Seven,

The people interviewed generally do not perceive themselves as “religious fanatics.” I agree with your analysis. That’s what they are. But from the inside the box perspective of these people, they are, as the program title reflects, “God’s Warriors.”

They claim to speak for God. They claim to speak to God, and they claim they have the truth. Anyone who does not see it their way is wrong.

In the USA, these people want the law and the Supreme Court to do their work for them. So a major objective is to elect right-wing conservative, fundamentalist Christians to public office and especially to the White House from which federal judges and Supreme Court justices are picked.

So the agenda of these religious zealots is a greater threat to the general public than the public may realize.

JAK
_marg

Re: Power of the Religious Right

Post by _marg »

JAK wrote:
So the agenda of these religious zealots is a greater threat to the general public than the public may realize.

I've watched the Christian and Jewish one, still have to watch the Muslim one. I think they did a good job of presenting the historical evolution of fundamentalism with respect to those religions.

I do think religious organizations backed by huge finances have an unfair advantage in the market place of ideas. They are able to market their agendas, market themselves to a gullible portion of the public, use lobbying power as well..if they so wish. The financial backing gives them staying power. The Mormon/LDS Church has estimated in excess of 35 billions dollars in assets. Whatever agenda they want to push they can do so, and same with other fundamentalist groups with huge financial backing. Why should they be tax exempt, when it seems only a small portion is used for charity and most of the money is used for political purposes and to buy and create businesses. There was a thread in the Terrestial forum recently discussing the number of media businesses in UTah the Mormon church owns. It seems to me there is something wrong about a church owning media outlets.
Perhaps what I really find wrong is that churches are tax exempt but then funnel money into businesses rather than use it for charity.
_JAK
_Emeritus

Re: Power of the Religious Right

Post by _JAK »

marg wrote:
JAK wrote:

I've watched the Christian and Jewish one, still have to watch the Muslim one. I think they did a good job of presenting the historical evolution of fundamentalism with respect to those religions.

I do think religious organizations backed by huge finances have an unfair advantage in the market place of ideas. They are able to market their agendas, market themselves to a gullible portion of the public, use lobbying power as well..if they so wish. The financial backing gives them staying power. The Mormon/LDS Church has estimated in excess of 35 billions dollars in assets. Whatever agenda they want to push they can do so, and same with other fundamentalist groups with huge financial backing. Why should they be tax exempt, when it seems only a small portion is used for charity and most of the money is used for political purposes and to buy and create businesses. There was a thread in the Terrestial forum recently discussing the number of media businesses in UTah the Mormon church owns. It seems to me there is something wrong about a church owning media outlets.
Perhaps what I really find wrong is that churches are tax exempt but then funnel money into businesses rather than use it for charity.

marg,

The tax-exempt status was put in place prior to the reality you describe here. There was a time when churches were relatively small generally and they did do charity work. Preachers were often unpaid (in some of the Protestant groups).

Many such small churches, even if connected to a larger base, struggled to have their buildings and have services. Before cars and highways, people attended these small churches who lived within sight of them.

Today we have mega-churches and people drive even days to reach them. We also have televangelists who reach large numbers.

So what was once reasonable as a tax-free group is now big money (as you detail). But changing the law now is unlikely. Those religious groups which want to control the courts, the judges, the Supreme Court and the laws would mount a massive campaign against any candidate who suggested that the huge religious organization machines should no longer be tax-free.

JAK