A relevant excerpt from American Ethnologist

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Calculus Crusader
_Emeritus

A relevant excerpt from American Ethnologist

Post by _Calculus Crusader »

The following is from a critique in American Ethnologist (August 1982) by Eugene Hunn entitled, "Did the Aztecs Lack Potential Animal Domesticates?"

The "failure" of Mesoamerican animal husbandry requires explanation. However, that failure is not attributable to a simple environmental determinism. Nor can this failure be attributed to ignorance of the principles of animal husbandry, since domestic dogs and turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) were raised for food by the Aztecs and their neighbors. The Aztecs are also known to have been careful students of zoology, maintaining extensive zoological collections...I suspect there was no "failure" at all; rather, a choice of more efficient means of nutrient provision through intensive agriculture.

I realize the Aztecs are much later than the alleged Book of Mormon civilizations but I think the Aztecs are representative of the lack of animal husbandry among Mesoamericans, which is at variance with the Book of Mormon account.
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

(I lost access to my Milesius account, so I had to retrieve this one from the mothballs.)