Narrow neck of land

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Paul Osborne

Narrow neck of land

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Where the heck is the narrow neck of land spoken of in the Book of Mormon - the same which divides the north from the south, surrounded by water? A Nephite can walk the distance from east to west in a day and a half.

Paul O
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Post by _Imwashingmypirate »

It does not exist.
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:It does not exist.

Some people say the same thing about Jesus, but through my faith, I believe he exists. The same thing goes for the narrow neck. It has to be somewhere. Either it is above water or in the great deep. I want to know where it is or, was. Nobody seems to have a definate answer that satisfies the requirements of Book of Mormon texts based on my reasonable understanding of what the texts says.

Paul O
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

But surely given that the sea level is and has been rising since the last ice age would this not say that the narrow neck of the land would be much much broader that any land currently in America.
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:But surely given that the sea level is and has been rising since the last ice age would this not say that the narrow neck of the land would be much much broader that any land currently in America.

I was thinking that the whole thing sunk into the deep. No one really knows what happened to the land masses throughout the world over the course of time. It's not like National Geographic has been around for 3,000 years taking pictures. Many thinkers have a story about what occured and they gladly flash the latest scientific ideas - but that's not proof for me. I require a video recording! Unfortunately no one was taking pictures way back then.

Paul O
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

Then surely submarine divers wil be able to find it. Also if this is the case then who's to say there are not records of such event as in the Book of Mormon buried elsewhere, including the narrow neck? I am quite sure it was not only the books in the Book of Mormon that have been written. And then, in which case why havent we found those? Why would it be that the scriptures are to change if they really are of God?
_charity
_Emeritus

Post by _charity »

The idea that the "narrow neck of land" is the Isthmus of Darien (Panama) has long been put to rest. Tehuantepec is the much more likely location. You can read more about it here.

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/display ... hts&id=132
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

BULL. Nephites with all their armour and tents and children. I don't think so.
_charity
_Emeritus

Post by _charity »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:BULL. Nephites with all their armour and tents and children. I don't think so.

Read carefully. I don't think you got it. At the very least you ignored A Nephite. Not all the Nephites at once with their tents and kids.
_Imwashingmypirate
_Emeritus

But don't you see that Mormon scholers are changing the meaning and understanding of things. If this were what God wanted then he would have made it that way to start off. He would have said that they travelled fast inorder to cause less confusion. He would have known that people would catch things out and so he would have made it so that people couldn't catch things out, if he really wanted that it were true.

I am going to bed now as it is getting late and I have uni in the morning.

Pirate.