Adam-God Theory

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: Adam-God Theory

Post by _grindael »

I know on what road I travel in spite of the rantings and ravings of gnashing of teeth of those who would assault the truth to assuage their guilt.

And you call Tobin angry? :redface:
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

It has been one of the more lively thread "necromancy" moments in my experience.

BY taught "Adam-God" doctrine. He far more often taught the doctrine that the LDS faith follows today. As McConkie said, "What I am saying is, that Brigham Young, contradicted Brigham Young, and the issue becomes one of which Brigham Young we will believe. The answer is we will believe the expressions that accord with the teachings in the Standard Works." http://www.challengemin.org/adamgod.html

It isn't a problem to believe either way, because the doctrine now goes nowhere near "Adam-God" doctrine. BY had quite a few other odd things to "teach the Saints" during his long career....
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Uncle Ed wrote:It has been one of the more lively thread "necromancy" moments in my experience.

BY taught "Adam-God" doctrine. He far more often taught the doctrine that the LDS faith follows today. As McConkie said, "What I am saying is, that Brigham Young, contradicted Brigham Young, and the issue becomes one of which Brigham Young we will believe. The answer is we will believe the expressions that accord with the teachings in the Standard Works." http://www.challengemin.org/adamgod.html

It isn't a problem to believe either way, because the doctrine now goes nowhere near "Adam-God" doctrine. BY had quite a few other odd things to "teach the Saints" during his long career....

I disagree that he "far more often taught" the doctrine that Mormons follow today. He just wasn't specific in who he called God. But then you have to understand Young, to know that it didn't matter to him, because he taught that it didn't matter at all which God he worshiped, because they were all "of the same species":

Whether Adam is the personage that we should consider our heavenly Father, or not, is considerable of a mystery to a good many. I do not care for one moment how that is; it is no matter whether we are to consider Him our God, or whether His Father, or His Grandfather, for in either case we are of one species - of one family - and Jesus Christ is also of our species. (John Dehlin 4:217)

And,

Some have grumbled because I believe our God to be so near to us as Father Adam. There are many who know that doctrine to be true. (John Dehlin:5:331)

Many who know Brigham taught it, but refuse to accept it, same as in his day. Brigham Young did not contradict Brigham Young about Adam God. McConkie contradicted McConkie about Brigham Young, and lied to boot, same as every modern Mormon "authority" who has spoken or written on this subject. But that is Mormonism at its core. Contradiction and confusion. If you don't like one God, simply deny that a "prophet" taught it, and change the God, but don't besmirch the "prophet" that you are now claiming taught false doctrine. That's ol' Bruce for you. And why not interchange your gods? There are just so many to choose from.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

wow, an oldie but a goodie brought back to life!

With some incredible additions.

What a shame, that as usual, Tobin has to flood the last several pages with spam.
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

RockSlider wrote:wow, an oldie but a goodie brought back to life!

With some incredible additions.

What a shame, that as usual, Tobin has to flood the last several pages with spam.

Last I checked, I was responding to gfchase's post. But I'm sure you'll consider responding to you as spam too. One good thing is that at least you aren't a moderator any longer so you can't violate the forum rules by enforcing your clearly biased and unfair views.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Looks like this has been the bear the 'ol testimony and leave scenario after making embarrassingly inept statements that have no basis in reality.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

I've been following this thread since it started. It's still a lot of "Talkin' loud but sayin' nuthin'" to quote JB.

All participants should pause and review what makes a "straw man" argument.

Adam didn't exist, therefore it's immaterial what BY said or anyone else says about whether Adam was God, or not.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

Taken on that basis, all religion and much of mankind's teachings on practically everything "don't exist" either. So arguing any of it is like the metaphorical argument about how many (non existent) angels can fit on the head of a pin.

We really need to discard most of the knowledge of mankind as something that can be argued as true to the exclusion of anything else.

"All things are possible with God" is really the basis for beginning to be enlightened. But the sophistry of our species' most "wise" persons discards "God" along with any real discussion (not argumement) about "Existence". In other words, most of us argue about finite things that are transcended by Existence, as if those finite things constitute facts and everything else is mere imagination. The reality is that "facts" are always subject to change, so imagination is actually more directly accessible to understanding than a finite set of current "facts" which we say we have today, which will be seriously amended or even largely discarded tomorrow....
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Tobin wrote:Last I checked, I was responding to gfchase's post. But I'm sure you'll consider responding to you as spam too. One good thing is that at least you aren't a moderator any longer so you can't violate the forum rules by enforcing your clearly biased and unfair views.

In what ways is this post from you not spam?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Uncle Ed wrote:Taken on that basis, all religion and much of mankind's teachings on practically everything "don't exist" either. So arguing any of it is like the metaphorical argument about how many (non existent) angels can fit on the head of a pin.

We really need to discard most of the knowledge of mankind as something that can be argued as true to the exclusion of anything else.

"All things are possible with God" is really the basis for beginning to be enlightened. But the sophistry of our species' most "wise" persons discards "God" along with any real discussion (not argumement) about "Existence". In other words, most of us argue about finite things that are transcended by Existence, as if those finite things constitute facts and everything else is mere imagination. The reality is that "facts" are always subject to change, so imagination is actually more directly accessible to understanding than a finite set of current "facts" which we say we have today, which will be seriously amended or even largely discarded tomorrow....

Well, you certainly got my head (pin-head?) spinning with that answer.

So, IYO, finite things are facts that can change, while imagination is more comprehensible...and therefore constant???
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC