Response to Jockers, Criddle, et al., Now Available

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_marg
_Emeritus

Re: Response to Jockers, Criddle, et al., Now Available

Post by _marg »

Dan Vogel wrote:Marg,

And the Smith alone is not the best explanation. Even if there was no evidence for Spalding, nor reason to suspect Rigdon, the evidence still is not favorable that Smith who showed no interest in writing before the Book of Mormon, would have dictated with his head in a hat,without review, notes, etc the Book of Mormon. The church acknowledges this..and I agree with them. That's one thing I agree with them on.

That makes sense to you? A first book is always plagiarized? Doesn’t his interest in telling stories about ancient Americans count? What about his experience as a Methodist exhorter and participant in a debating club? What about the example of his grandfather Solomon Mack in publishing a book about his conversion to Christianity?

Yes that makes sense to me Dan. I didn't say a first book is always plagiarized. As far as his interest in telling stories about ancient americans..did you get that from Lucy his mother? Sorry I don't trust any of them Dan. And besides wouldn't his exposure to Rigdon's work have created that interest in the first place.

I believe it was Hugh Nibley who made the argument about how unlikely one person given the time frame and manner it was allegedly done..could likely have written the Book of Mormon. So let's say we knew nothing about Spalding's MS. I still would be highly skeptical Smith wrote the Book of Mormon on his own ..given the secrecy involved, the lack of transparency, that everyone involved had a vested interest and other than Harris they are related to one another, and that he showed no interest in writing previously. Charlotte Haven described Smith as being very vocal, narcissistic..(though I don't know if she used that word), but she described him as someone who wanted to be the center of attention..and yes he liked to talk..but she said that Rigdon rather than Smith was the more likely candidate for writing the Book of Mormon..given her observations of the 2 men and the sort of books Rigdon had. She appeared in my opinion to be quite an observant,, intelligent and objective individual..and not particularly anti Mormon if at all. She was sympathetic to Mormons. Smith's father from what I gather was not particular religious until Smith started up his religion which his father joined. I think his father would have more of an influence on him than his grandfather. And wasn't his father's father not particularly religious as well? I think given Smith's propensity to seek means of making money via conning (and I don't fault him for that..people have to make a living)and with the least physical work possible as a plan..even though he probably ended up doing work ..and given that I think writing to him would be viewed also as mentally hard work ... I don't think he ever preplanned the whole thing and dictated off the cuff..as is claimed. I don't think Rigdon preplanned the whole thing either without the inspiration of Spalding's manuscript. I think Spalding's book was a catalyst for Rigdon, which inspired him to write a book to be presented as sacred. But Smith and his buddies likely added to it as they were writing it up, using the manuscript already prepared. The whole concept evolved.
_marg
_Emeritus

Post by _marg »

Dan Vogel wrote:Roger,

I have already shown that what you label "trick hat" is not ad hoc. S/R can exist just fine with or without a "trick hat." Just as easily as S/A can. It is silly for you to continue to attempt to present the notion of a "trick hat" as though it was some sort of escape from adverse evidence. That is just nonsense.

What you write above is nonsense and absurd. The trick-hat theory isn’t something I made up. I didn’t make Marg say it; she said it on her own—with a straight face no less. I use it only as a quick example—there are several others, which I have listed many times. Roger, it doesn’t matter if S/R needs the trick-hat theory or not—it’s still ad hoc. We spent several pages arguing with Marg about it, and she neither acknowledged it as ad hoc nor gave it up. And she didn’t just start using it without a reason. It was brought up when it appeared her attempt to dismiss all the witnesses as interested and therefore not trustworthy wasn’t working, so she offered a theory that she thought would explain the evidence of multiple independent testimony. That’s an ad hoc escape pure and simple.

Dan...you are being silly about this trick hat speculation of mine. Seriously you are being ridiculous. I NEVER suggested it to save the S/R theory. I ONLY speculated it, if I was to assume..Emma was telling the truth.

I'm sorry I ever brought it up...who knew you'd be harping on this ad nausea..as if you are making some sort of strong point against the S/R theory.

Dan after I reviewed the statement from Emma as reported by Brigg's ...I've decided that Emma likely lied. Her whole statement is propaganda to promote the supernatural being involved and is consistent with Whitmer's and Harris' statements Her claim (which I know you say Brigg may have gotten wrong) physically would not have happened consistently. Whitmer and Harris claim the same thing. That claim that Smith would stop when she misspelled or any scribe mispelled and that he wouldn't continue dictating until they corrected the word and only then would the rock continue..is propaganda and fits in with the rest the propaganda...to promote the supernatural.

So take it back if you are going to be so silly about this. That speculation is not necessary for the S/R theory and it certainly was never suggested to rescue the SR theory...SHEESH!

Emma is not believable. She's completely non-skeptical. She never tried to look at the alleged plates she dusted around? This was how Smith was going to support the family..and she doesn't bother to look into whether the plates are real or not..knowing that her father chastised smith for making a living using the seer stone for finding treasures for others? She knew smith made a living conning..her father was against it..and yet she believes the plates are real. Come on..Dan don't be so naïve.

Dan wrote:
The fact is your theory requires something in the way of a response to the same testimony you want to present as being adverse to S/R because that testimony was intended to claim that God was providing a translation to Joseph Smith and, just like S/R, you do not accept that. Therefore, just like S/R proponents, you have to respond to that in some manner. You choose to characterize your response as not being ad hoc since you argue that supernatural elements are unnecessary. The problem is--and this is key--the problem is the witnesses themselves--whose testimony you are attempting to recruit for your theory--don't give you that option. You have to forcefully extract it from their testimonies which were intentionally designed to support Glenn's theory (S/D), not yours. They do not agree with your interpretation of their testimonies. Therefore, if you're going to accept their testimonies as being reliable then they are as adverse to your theory as they are to S/R.

It troubles me that you think the above is logical. It’s not. I’m free to accept the observations of the witnesses while rejecting their interpretations. This is standard procedure in courts of law. You must be familiar with this, Roger. So you are free to do the same. Where you go wrong is when you try to overcome the part of their testimony that is not interpretive but is adverse to the Spalding theory.

Dan look at your McCullagh book. Historian Brooke does not accept the chroniclers who would have gotten their information from the people present during the hunt. Brooke finds their account of the event unreliable. He critically evaluates their account within the context of other evidence, consider the chronicler's interests and motivations..and find their statement unreliable.

You are not free if you are seeking truth, to accept at face value statements from witnesses with a vested interest..who are attempting to promote the supernatural..who are associated with Smith a known con artist and we know...the Book of Mormon is not what Smith claimed. It is not good critical thinking. Historians who are interested in the truth..do not evaluate evidence like you do. Historians not interested in truth but interested in promoting propaganda would accept at face value claims by unreliable witnesses with vested interests such as the Book of Mormon witnesses.

p 13 from McCullagh's book.

" There is no doubt that an historian's evolving idea of the structure of the whole history he is producing directs his inquiry all the time. It directs him to look for evidence relating to matters which pertain to that overall structure, and when he finds that evidence, to concentrate upon its implications for the overall study he wishes to present. But the historian's idea of the overall structure of his work does not determine the truth of the inferences he draws from the data, if the historian is interested in truth.

Rather, when the inferences he draws from his evidence yield information incompatible with the structure he had in mind, he does not deny the truth of the inference but modifies his conception of the structure of the whole. Thus an historian’s respect for truth or for intelligibility, constraints his choice of overall interpretation, and not vice versa. This is not the case of course, when history is written for propaganda purposes. In those cases the overall thesis is preserved by ignoring or even destroying evidence which points to facts contradicting it."

The only thing that’s needed is to show my theory is more probable than yours. I have shown that the bulk of the Book of Mormon came out of Joseph Smith’s mouth while his face was in his hat. We know he did it—the question of how is a different matter. It's just your smokescreen or red herring.

No Dan, you have not shown that the bulk of the Book of Mormon came out of Joseph Smith's mouth while his head was in a hat.

It is quite conceivable Dan..that with a pre-prepared manuscript in hand..that Smith didn't even dictate to Cowdery. That instead they both read a manuscript from Rigdon, discussed it, added to it and Cowdery wrote it down. You do not know, how they wrote the Book of Mormon. They are con artists Dan, their say so, is not reliable.
_Roger
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger »

Glenn:

I did some checking and am informed that something similar to your suggestion, only better, is in the works. So I guess we will just have to await the results.

From my own observation on the wherefore/therefore shift and certain error or dialect patterns the data seem to indicate multiple authors. At the very least, there seems to be a noticeable difference between patterns at both ends vs the middle.

As I mentioned earlier, I think S/A will have a difficult time explaining this as more data becomes available. S/D will probably be able to pass it off as multiple authors with a few of them resembling each other but I predict overall the results won't mesh as well with S/D as with what S/R predicts... namely multiple yes, but only a few authors for the non-biblical stuff.
"...a pious lie, you know, has a great deal more influence with an ignorant people than a profane one."

- Sidney Rigdon, as quoted in the Quincy Whig, June 8, 1839, vol 2 #6.
_marg
_Emeritus

Post by _marg »

With this Warren Jeffs case finally come to light I thought I’d bring up a previous exchange with you Dan. What I notice in your book and in this thread is that whenever you are able you present Smith and witnesses supportive of him ..you invariably do so in a favorable light. In your book for example, when you write about Whitmer saying the field got plowed in the middle of the night enabling him to go get Cowdery and Smith to bring back, you don’t suggest that maybe he says that to promote the supernatural/miraculous ..which he promotes in his statement for the Book of Mormon translation statement and testimony in the Book of Mormon, no you suggest instead, he simply might have forgotten he plowed the fields.

I think now that it is appreciated just what Warren Jeffs was doing, perhaps you may reconsider that Smith’s polygamy, the sort he promoted..which was one of using women for sex, free hired help in B.Y's case and using them to breed more females for each other for the men in the upper hierarchy to be exchanged with one another. I don't think you have a clue on how to understand Smith or the witnesses...you seem to be an extremely naïve individual.

From page 70 of this thread:

Myself: After following the case in B.C. regarding polygamy in which the men exchange young girls with each other in which families offer their young daughters to the prophet..that's when it occurred to me that Smith realized young women could be had, simply by taking the daughters of others produced. And all it takes is 12 - 14 years time and there is another batch of young women for the men to trade amongst themselves. Why use prostitutes when they can be bred.

Dan: “B.C.”? I don’t believe this thinking relates to Joseph Smith. I believe he had trouble with monogamy and searched Christian tradition for a way of justifying his needs. I might say that he had trouble living within the rules, so he changed the rules. Debate about Christian polygamy and concubinage goes back to the Reformation.

Myself: Dan, I'm not judging. I'm stating things matter of factly. And yes, the practice in the community of B.C. is very much to do with Smith's polygamy that he started and encouraged the other men to practice. Because their attitude in the B.C. community and the way they practice it, exchanging young girls with each other, treating them like one would breed cows..in some cases treating them as slaves..is exactly what was practiced by B.Y.

You are the one attempting to justify..."he had trouble with monogamy".. what difference does that make? Men who have trouble with monogamy seek sex outside of marriage be it prostitute, concubines or other women available. But it's quite convenient to instead breed them..isn't it? Or to ask other men for their daughters and wives until the breeding gets going for future stock?

Yes he changed the rules..his idea of polygamy was to use women for sex and encouraged men in a polygamous system meant to breed more females to supply all the men in the upper hierarchy with lots of females for sexual use, slaves and breeding of more females. After 12 - 14 years once the system is started these men can have a yearly batch of females to exchange with one another and a constant supply into their old age.

And the point being this behavior indicated he was an opportunist using his authority for self interest, not the interest of religion or as a pious fraud.

Dan: What is “B.C.”? However, you are judging Joseph Smith by your value system. I certainly don’t share Joseph Smith’s values, but I want to understand them. I’m sure sexual gratification had something to do with Joseph Smith’s motivations, but how did he rationalize such behavior to himself and others? In my view, your characterization is too reductionistic. Joseph Smith was more complex than that.
>>
I’m not justifying; I’m seeking to understand a complex religious person’s motives. Your perspective is too feminist, and doesn’t consider women cheat too. From an evolutionary perspective, polygamy is the norm. Whereas monogamy is a woman’s way of insuring her children thrive amid scarce resources over the genes of other women.

>>
As MCB pointed out, polygamy comes later. If all Joseph Smith wanted was sex, being a minister isn’t the best way to go about doing that. The situation was more complex than that. Joseph Smith built a theology around plural marriage, which had many antecedents in Europe and America. It wasn’t just something he threw in quickly to exploit his followers. It was a well thought out world view—not one you would adopt—but one in which Joseph Smith had plenty of company.

Myself: B.C. is British Columbia. Polygamy is before the courts currently. No I'm not judging. I'm describing as how it is currently practiced in the Mormon associated communities in B.C. The women are treated like cattle to be bred. Young females are traded amongst men between communities in the U.S.and the communities here and within. Families have brought their young daughters across the border and given them over to Warren Jeffs..in exchange they bring back young females to breed.

>>

I brought up J. Smith's polygamy as an example of his opportunistic nature, that his behavior in this had nothing to do with pious fraud. That he took advantage of his position of authority to have sex. Sexual trists came first before polygamy. Sexual gratification for himself was his motivation. Polygamy justified his behavior to others. The way he practiced was not the polygamy he encouraged others to practice.
>>
How did did he rationalize such behavior to himself and others? To himself he likely thought his polygamy didn't hurt anyone significantly, and why not take advantage of the situation of gullible people. This was an extension of treasure seeking, if people are willing, why not. For others what's there to rationalize? Some men wouldn't need much convincing to take on women they could have sex with, who could also be used as hired help but without having to pay them. And then the females bred could be exchanged amongst the elite and as they got older there would be a steady supply of upcoming more females. I guess sex is a powerful motivator and he didn't have trouble with some men, encouraging them to impregnate women.
>>
What have I said that's feminist? What does women cheating have to do with any of this? What I've done is describe the practice that was encouraged, I've not made any judgment about it. When I bring up "cows" and breeding..I didn't make that up, I believe Kimball was the one who described it in that manner.

>>

Did I ever say in this discussion that Smith wanted sex and so he became a minister to do so. For the record I didn't. You are assuming I have. I brought up polygamy to illustrate his opportunistic nature. And to point out in this case, polygamy had nothing to do with being a pious fraud. He used his position to exploit, to obtain women for sex. He was caught having sexual trysts before polygamy got started by him.

Give me an example in the past that was the sort of polygamy he encouraged..of forming an isolated community and the men exchanging with each other their young daughters even into their old age.

And what makes you think he didn't institute it as a means to exploit? The people being exploited in this case are the women...they are looked upon as if cattle to be bred.
_Roger
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger »

Dan:

I have already shown that what you label "trick hat" is not ad hoc. S/R can exist just fine with or without a "trick hat." Just as easily as S/A can. It is silly for you to continue to attempt to present the notion of a "trick hat" as though it was some sort of escape from adverse evidence. That is just nonsense.

What you write above is nonsense and absurd. The trick-hat theory isn’t something I made up. I didn’t make Marg say it; she said it on her own—with a straight face no less. I use it only as a quick example—there are several others, which I have listed many times. Roger, it doesn’t matter if S/R needs the trick-hat theory or not—it’s still ad hoc. We spent several pages arguing with Marg about it, and she neither acknowledged it as ad hoc nor gave it up.

Nor should she. Why should she acknowledge something as ad hoc when it isn't? The fact is, as I have stated before, unreliable testimony does not constitute adverse evidence. The Book of Mormon witnesses claim that God made words appear in a magic rock. That we reject that claim does not mean we are responding in an ad hoc manner to adverse evidence that would otherwise sink our theory--and if you're going to insist that it does, then I am going to point out that you respond in an ad hoc manner yourself to the exact same testimony. Only it's worse for you because you think the word of those witnesses IS reliable! So then, given that, you have to explain why you think their word is reliable except for the portions that go against your theory.

And yes it does matter whether S/R needs a trick-hat or not. If S/R could only survive by postulating a trick hat, then such postulating would constitute an ad hoc response. But S/R doesn't need a trick hat and marg was not postulating a trick hat to avoid impending doom for S/R without it! This is obvious Dan. An objective historian should see this. She was just offering the possibility as one possible, natural avenue. And I see nothing wrong with such speculation! I haven't heard anything better from you. Smith was something of a trickster, Dan, even you would agree with that. Magicians use trick hats. So what's so weird about marg speculating about Smith's hat? What's weird is your attempt to turn harmless speculation into a desperate attempt by S/R to respond to adverse evidence. That is just plain absurd.

And she didn’t just start using it without a reason. It was brought up when it appeared her attempt to dismiss all the witnesses as interested and therefore not trustworthy wasn’t working, so she offered a theory that she thought would explain the evidence of multiple independent testimony. That’s an ad hoc escape pure and simple.

No she didn't. That's ridiculous. Neither marg nor I nor any non-partisan observer would consider the word of biased, heavily invested cult members to be adverse evidence that must be responded to in an ad hoc manner in order to save their competing theory. That's like saying the word of FLDS members constitutes adverse evidence to which the state of Texas must respond in an ad hoc manner in order to save it's theory that Jeffs participated in statutory rape. It's ridiculous. McCullah wouldn't accept that. Brooke wouldn't. Your witnesses were motivated to embellish their testimonies, Dan, in order to promote the cause they were highly devoted to--and we can see clear examples of them doing exactly that. So their word on the matter does not constitute adverse evidence. If there is no adverse evidence, then one cannot respond in an ad hoc manner.

For your version of S/A, however, it's a bit different, because you want to believe that their word is reliable. Well, if their word is reliable then you are going to have to deal with their supernatural claims, which then become adverse to your theory.

The fact is your theory requires something in the way of a response to the same testimony you want to present as being adverse to S/R because that testimony was intended to claim that God was providing a translation to Joseph Smith and, just like S/R, you do not accept that. Therefore, just like S/R proponents, you have to respond to that in some manner. You choose to characterize your response as not being ad hoc since you argue that supernatural elements are unnecessary. The problem is--and this is key--the problem is the witnesses themselves--whose testimony you are attempting to recruit for your theory--don't give you that option. You have to forcefully extract it from their testimonies which were intentionally designed to support Glenn's theory (S/D), not yours. They do not agree with your interpretation of their testimonies. Therefore, if you're going to accept their testimonies as being reliable then they are as adverse to your theory as they are to S/R.

It troubles me that you think the above is logical. It’s not.

It shouldn't trouble you, Dan. There's plenty of trouble in the world already. Rest assured, the logic is quite sound.

I’m free to accept the observations of the witnesses while rejecting their interpretations. This is standard procedure in courts of law. You must be familiar with this, Roger. So you are free to do the same. Where you go wrong is when you try to overcome the part of their testimony that is not interpretive but is adverse to the Spalding theory.

Interpretive! So there's the operative word! And, conveniently, Dan gets to be the judge of which elements of their testimonies are merely "interpretive" and which are truly observational! So when David Whitmer boldly proclaims that words appeared in the stone, he surely would agree with you--were he taking part in this discussion--that, yes, of course, the "words appearing in the stone" part of my testimony were purely "interpretive" and not to be taken as a literal observation--even though Whitmer himself used a seer stone! When Emma claims her husband corrected her spelling even though it was impossible for him to see what she had written, I'm sure she'd enthusiastically agree that that is merely her interpretation and that it wasn't intended to be taken as a literal observation!

The fact is, Dan, yes, you are free to accept whatever portions of their testimony you choose to accept--people are free to do all kinds of things--but by the same token we are equally free to point out the obvious--that the word you are choosing to accept is coming from highly biased, devoted, cult members who were heavily invested in the cause they are testifying about who have a demonstrated propensity to embellish their testimonies. And we are free to reject most of what they tell us on that basis, thereby rendering their word as not constituting adverse evidence for our theory.

You think you have an escape clause in claiming the supernatural is inherently ad hoc and that by so proclaiming you are only getting your theory off the hook, but the fact is, if that escape clause works for S/A then it just as surely works for S/R.

I’m having difficulty following your desperate and convoluted logic, but I’ll give it a stab. The witnesses saw Joseph Smith dictate with head in hat for the bulk of the Book of Mormon, which they thought was miraculous. There was no real miracle here. No different than a fraudulent medium or psychic could do, but probably better. You agree.

Actually I don't. Evidence is weak that "witnesses saw Joseph Smith dictate with head in hat for the bulk of the Book of Mormon." None of the skeptical witnesses support that, and I take the word of friendly witnesses very skeptically. Again, if Joseph could really do that, then there was no need to hide him from the public view. It should have been done out in the open with anyone being able to at least get within eyesight. The more skeptical witnesses claiming they saw Joseph dictating for hours on end, the better. Even more so if we'd have non-Mormons testifying that they were there when Joseph was dictating 3rd Nephi 1 or whatever. But we don't see that at all. The most we see from true skeptics is that Joseph put his head in his hat and rattled off a few words. I could do that. And even friendlies admit a blanket was used to keep Joseph from the eyes of the public.

So what we have are two competing theories, and yours is the one that has trouble with this adverse evidence.

Not correct. My theory has less trouble with it than yours does because yours suffers from attempting to extract truth from tainted testimony. The word of unreliable witnesses is not adverse evidence. This is true in any court of law.

To escape it, you have offered ad hoc speculations such as trick hats, locked doors, blankets, and conspiring and lying witnesses.

Your logic is getting worse. In the first place I don't have to "escape" anything since the word of unreliable, biased witnesses is not adverse. In the second place, the blanket is adverse to your theory (as well as Glenn's) not mine, since if Joseph could do what you both claim he did, then there is no need for a blanket. The need arises when Joseph can't do what you claim he could. And yet David Whitmer even acknowledges that its purpose was to shield Joseph from the eyes of the public. This is adverse evidence for your theory that you then have to escape by twisting David's language to speculate that the poor, distracted, prophet must not have been able to concentrate--as if a blanket would allow him to stay focused. But you have no basis to make that wild speculation that clearly goes against what Whitmer actually says. You can only accomplish it by twisting David's language--this is what LDS apologists do.

You can't explain how Joseph Smith pulled this off any more than we can. Sure, like us, you can speculate all you want, but you can't definitively say how he did it. The problem is that when we propose one possible natural avenue (as opposed to the supernatural) you then attempt to mock it by labeling it "trick hat" and then falsely proclaiming it to be an ad hoc response to adverse evidence as if your theory is somehow superior in explaining how Smith pulled it off! And the irony is, you yourself refuse to accept the very intent of the exact same testimonial evidence you want to present as being adverse for S/R. I find this whole dynamic remarkable.

Again, this is convoluted and incoherent. It appears you are still trying to slip out of defending your theory by requiring me to prove with absolute certainty my theory before admitting yours has problems. That’s ad hominem.

There's nothing convoluted or incoherent about it. The standard for coherency is not whether Dan likes it. I am simply not letting you get away with what you want to get away with. If you don't have to prove with absolute certainty how Smith pulled it off, then neither does S/R. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If your response to the elements of Book of Mormon witness testimony that you choose to reject is not ad hoc, then neither is ours.

The only thing that’s needed is to show my theory is more probable than yours.

Not correct. You need to show that your theory has greater explanatory power. You need to show how your theory better explains all the data. And it doesn't. It is too simplistic. It blames virtually everything on Joseph Smith, when it's clear that Joseph Smith was not the only one who had a vested interest in the success of early Mormonism. Certainly he was a key player--no doubt, as it turned out, the key player. Certainly he had charisma. Certainly he had natural abilities and tremendous power of persuasion. But the evidence points to Smith plus helpers. That's why Mormonism was successful. That's why we're having this discussion today.

I have shown that the bulk of the Book of Mormon came out of Joseph Smith’s mouth while his face was in his hat.

You have not shown that. You have cited biased witnesses who claim and/or imply that it all came out of Joseph's mouth while his face was in a hat--and even you don't accept that. But those witnesses can't be trusted. The most we can safely conclude is that Smith put his head in his hat sometimes and rattled off a few words. That he could do that for hours on end is questionable. But if he could then that skill works just as nicely for my theory as it does for yours. If Smith had that skill, then all the better. It makes borrowing ideas from a Rigdon supplied manuscript all the more easy. People have photographic memories. It's not a supernatural gift. But again, you have not shown that to be the case, but if you're going to claim it for your theory without having established it, the reality is it works for S/R as well.

We know he did it—the question of how is a different matter. It's just your smokescreen or red herring.

Not at all, Dan. I'm simply pointing out that there's not that much difference between S/A and S/R when it comes to speculation about how Smith did it. None really. So whatever way you want to speculate works for S/R too. In the end, all it amounts to is your speculation, which is certainly not adverse evidence for S/R.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...a pious lie, you know, has a great deal more influence with an ignorant people than a profane one."

_GlennThigpen
_Emeritus

Post by _GlennThigpen »

Roger wrote:Glenn:

I did some checking and am informed that something similar to your suggestion, only better, is in the works. So I guess we will just have to await the results.

From my own observation on the wherefore/therefore shift and certain error or dialect patterns the data seem to indicate multiple authors. At the very least, there seems to be a noticeable difference between patterns at both ends vs the middle.

As I mentioned earlier, I think S/A will have a difficult time explaining this as more data becomes available. S/D will probably be able to pass it off as multiple authors with a few of them resembling each other but I predict overall the results won't mesh as well with S/D as with what S/R predicts... namely multiple yes, but only a few authors for the non-biblical stuff.

Roger, A shift in patterns has been noted years ago with the work of Larsen, Rencher, and Layton. Using cluster analysis, authors in the Book of Mormon tended to group in contemporaneous blocks, but were statistically distinct from each other. That is, Nephi clustered with his father, Lehi, Alma the younger clustered with Amulek, Samuel the Lamanite prophet clustered with Nephi, the son of Helaman. The further apart in time the authors were ,the further apart the clusters. There were a few exceptions but that was the general finding.

I will be interested in seeing the methodology used in and the results of the study that you are speaking of. Especially in your predictions that it will be shown that only a few authors will be shown to be in the mix. The Larsen, Rencher, Layton study tested twenty-four different authors for the Book of Mormon text, including the words of Jesus and Isaiah.

I can foresee some problems with a study that makes an assumption that all of the text in a particular chapter is the work of one author, if that text is quoting from another person, such as when Nephi quotes his own father. Commingling text from two or more authors and treating them as one I am pretty sure would produce invalid results.
I will have to go back and check the original Jockers study for this. I do not believe that they did any separation according to what the Book of Mormon claimed.

In the Larsen, Rencher, Layton study, the separated the words of Nephi that the Book of Mormon shows to be his own from the words that he quoted from his father, Lehi. As already noted, the words of Nephi and Lehi clustered together as contemporaries, but were distinct as authors using three different types of analysis, (cluster, MANOVA, and classification analysis). If it were the same author pretending to quote another person, the wordprints of the quotes would be the same, i.e indistinguishable. The only way for this to work in the S/R theory is for one purported S/R author to be quoting another S/R person.

That separation and testing is something I believe must be done to ensure accurate results, no matter what tool is used.

Like I said, I am very interested in the results and methodology that will be revealed.

Glenn
In order to give character to their lies, they dress them up with a great deal of piety; for a pious lie, you know, has a good deal more influence with an ignorant people than a profane one. Hence their lies came signed by the pious wife of a pious deceased priest. Sidney Rigdon QW J8-39
_mikwut
_Emeritus

Post by _mikwut »

Roger,

After this many posts and this long of a thread, could you please narrate what you believe the S/R theory is? Starting with Spalding until the publication of the Book of Mormon - what narratively took place?

mikwut
All communication relies, to a noticeable extent on evoking knowledge that we cannot tell, all our knowledge of mental processes, like feelings or conscious intellectual activities, is based on a knowledge which we cannot tell.
-Michael Polanyi

"Why are you afraid, have you still no faith?" Mark 4:40
_Roger
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger »

Mikwut:

After this many posts and this long of a thread, could you please narrate what you believe the S/R theory is? Starting with Spalding until the publication of the Book of Mormon - what narratively took place?

That would take much more than a web post. Why do you ask? Are you willing to narrate how you believe the Book of Mormon came to be?

_mikwut
_Emeritus

Post by _mikwut »

Roger,

That would take much more than a web post.

No it wouldn't, many of the posts you've made on this thread would be longer.

Why do you ask?

Because I think it is the easiest way to see the many areas that lack evidence.

Are you willing to narrate how you believe the Book of Mormon came to be?

Sure, if you want, but its been published by historians, you in fact have the good pleasure of talking to one of them in this very thread. I thought Hammer's script that was a parody did a good job but you said it distorted it so I would like to hear from you - no distortion just what is the theory, no big deal.

mikwut
All communication relies, to a noticeable extent on evoking knowledge that we cannot tell, all our knowledge of mental processes, like feelings or conscious intellectual activities, is based on a knowledge which we cannot tell.
-Michael Polanyi

"Why are you afraid, have you still no faith?" Mark 4:40
_Roger
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger »

Mikwut:

No it wouldn't, many of the posts you've made on this thread would be longer.

Art Vanick & Co. wrote a 500+ page book that was edited down from over 800 pages and still left a lot out.

Because I think it is the easiest way to see the many areas that lack evidence.

How many conversations have we had where you've already attempted to do that? It's not up to me to convince you (on an internet discussion board!) that S/R is correct--especially when your mind is already made up. I already know the key weak spots in S/R and I've stated them here on several occasions. We have no Manuscript Found. We don't have hard evidence (as opposed to circumstantial) that Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon knew each other before 1831. Those are the two biggest obstacles that S/R needs to overcome--which we've already been discussing.

But I refuse to get into discussion of S/R's weak spots without also discussing the weak spots in the competing theories so each theory's weak spots can be compared side by side. Picking at S/R is fair game when a person is also willing to look critically at the competing theories, but not if the only goal is to hold S/R under a microscope while letting the competitors off without an examination.

Sure, if you want, but its been published by historians, you in fact have the good pleasure of talking to one of them in this very thread.

And despite Dan's frequent condescension, it has been productive. My understanding of Dan's version of S/A has been greatly clarified. Frankly, I agree with him even less than I thought I did going into this discussion. I think when it comes right down to it, the Tanner's would even disagree with Dan when it comes to trusting the word of early Book of Mormon witnesses.

I thought Hammer's script that was a parody did a good job but you said it distorted it so I would like to hear from you - no distortion just what is the theory, no big deal.

I have dealt directly with John's parody. I'm pretty sure I did so on this board. I would have to look it up and I'm not sure I want to spend the time looking for it. From what I remember, John's parody is cute and creative, but yes, it does resort to exploiting common stereotypical misconceptions of S/R.

Since you're willing to discuss S/A then I think a better approach would be for each of us to simply ask questions. I'll start and you can ask what you want.

1. Do you agree with everything Dan has said in defense of S/A? If not, what do you disagree with?

2. Do you agree that a Bible was used in Book of Mormon production? If so, how was it used?

3. Do you agree that nothing other than a Bible was used to produce the Book of Mormon?

4. Is there any possibility that Oliver Cowdery produced some of the Book of Mormon content?

5. Do you agree that the main intent of the Book of Mormon witness statements is to convey the idea that God was providing a translation to Joseph that he otherwise was not capable of doing on his own?

I have a bunch of other questions but I'll keep it to five.

Fire away.